Interior walls - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2004, 02:59 PM
Life's a small bore.

Last journal entry: The engine's in!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

These are all valid points, and I'm not arguing with you. I still think slat board is the way to go if you're serious about the look. Otherwise, just about anything will do.

Advertisement

It's up to you if it's a small bore or a big bore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2004, 11:30 PM
Im trying to have an idea!

Last photo:

www.coxlumber.com/gypsum.html#facts

good info, check out the green rock stuff. would recommend
Old 07-18-2004, 12:21 PM

One thing with rock, the green is water prof but you need to use the right mud or it's not. Also use the thickest you can find or you will punch holes when you hit it with like a door or what ever.

With ply wood you can fill any hole and it will always look new. If I had the money I would still go with ply and set up cabinets for storage, everything I have hanging gets covered with what ever dust from the project I am working with. Lot's of drawers in different sizes so you can pull them all the way out, cabinest with movable shelves and some exposed hanging area for the quick need stuff.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

with the green rock ( and it being a shop)
you do not have to put the mud and tape up, you could probably use some joint fill or something similar. get some door stops, and that should solve the hole thing
Old 07-20-2004, 06:28 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

The bottom line is...if you are going to take care of your garage like your house you can get by with drywall. Yes accidents happen and drywall can be easily fixed. If you hang something make sure you hit the studs. If you get pissed and throw stuff DON'T use drywall. Get something more sturdy like OSB or plywood. If you use water quite often in a garage then go with metal. You have to consider reflection, absorption, ease of care, how often you want to change color, whether you spend a couple of hours a night, week, or month in the garage. If you are a packrat and just stack everything wherever then it does not matter. If you spend countless hours out there and want it to look like a room in your house then it makes a difference. If you paint then you do not want anything that will collect and hold dust. (the smoother the better) There are so many variables that when you get to the point of doing your garage, make a list of what you want to do in it. You can't do it ALL but you can do quite a bit. Weigh out everything ahead of time and you will be satisfied.

Kevin
Old 07-20-2004, 07:16 PM

Last photo:

Good suggestion

you could also go to Lowe's and get a feel for the materials and kinda read up on the different materials and what they do.

like what kevin said, all about what you doing in there
Old 07-21-2004, 08:10 AM

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. I'ts going to be finished out more like a room in my house So I think I'm going to use a combination of some of the materials listed here. Metal in the "car wash/ detail" area.. and Drywall with some of the slotted board in the tool area for hanging stuff. Metal on the ceiling..
Old 07-21-2004, 09:23 AM
Life's a small bore.

Last journal entry: The engine's in!!
Last photo:

Sounds like you got it under control

Maybe you should post a few pics when it's done?

It's up to you if it's a small bore or a big bore.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:19 PM

Interior walls

I have a oversize 2 car garage that is my domain. (No family cars mowers etc.) years ago I found 2 boxes of Playboy magazines at a garage sale that wern't selling. I made a low buck ridiculous offer, I don't know ten bucks or so I don't know. The woman said sold and off I went. with about 25 years of Playboy mags.. Anyway they kicked around the garage for a few and I finally said they have to go,, but first let's see where is Miss November ?? Anyway I quickly went through all and removed all the centerfolds. and stapled them to my garage walls (it was sheetrocked and taped) Like wall paper. And I do mean it is wall to wall and behind shelves and so on. My sons who then were 11 and 14 quickly became the most popular boys in the neighboorhood.
That was years ago and the centerfolds are still there a little sun faded but you know what my street rod friends really do like to go to my garage and see what I'm working on. Oh yeah I did build my 38 Chevy coupe and my '32 ford coupe (steel) with a couple of hundred plus centerfolds watching me. he he. It probably took me a little longer than it would have.
signalwizard
Old 08-11-2004, 06:15 PM

Almost any surface product has it plus and minuses for garage use.

I have used the white pegboard on tall walls and it made me dizzy when I walked past. The way the light reflects made the holes appear to be moving. I had several people tell me it was disturbing. Also, tools scratched the surface and dirty hands stained it. I would go with the natural color for pegboard.

I too like the clean look of all cabinets, but find some things are are best left out within reach. A section of my garage is skinned with composite (plastic) slatwall material that works quite well. It cost a bunch, but keeps my kids skates, helmets, balls, and other toys organized and within easy reach. When it's dusty, you can hose it off (remove remote control cars first - oops).

I also like a few tools above my workbench. Hammers and channel locks for working over a part in the vice are handy. Have you noticed the Pin Board the folks a NAPA display their tools on? This is an inexpensive alternative to pegboard and the hooks all secure into place. If you want to be fancy you can outline your tools with a grease pencil so you know where to put them back (or see what's missing). I have a link to this product but can't seem to quickly find it. Email me if you're interested.

Drywall works in most cases since you end up covering most of it with cabinets, tool chests and such. For lower wall protection, we use 1/16" 4 x 8 sheets of aluminum diamond plate at about $ 70.00 each. A little pricey but looks good. LP makes a simulated brick paneling that looks neat. It's a press-board though however and will swell if it gets wet (decorative use only). Worked well in a 50's Decor garage.

For a working garage, plywood probably offers the most durability for the dollar.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.