Internal seat problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006, 02:54 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Internal seat problem

Hello. I just bought a 1991 Mustang. Near the bottom of the back of the passenger front seat, it feels as if there were a metal plate that was kicked in, jabbing your back. I cant feel an obvious 'bend' or 'dent' in a 'plate', but something is definetly odd. It is about 5 inches from the top of the seat bottom, and center/center-left.

Just wondering if you guys have any advice on what this could be, and how I could go about fixing it. Thank you!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Does this seat have a manual lumbar support in it? If that broke,that could be it. A broken spring could do this if it broke and twisted forward somehow. In any case, you'll have to open up the seat to find out anyway.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:32 PM

Last photo:

Can I open it up withou ruining the seay upholstery? Or am I dreaming

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Sure you can open it up without ruining it. They had to put it together in the first place, so you just reverse their steps. Do you know how to take the top section off the seat base? I'm not sure of the exact arrangement on this particular car, but the car's a two door, so the seat folds forward. Take whatever plastic trim there is off the door side of the seat and you should see a large bolted in stud that has either an allen head or a torx head in the end. Unscrew that. Normally the inside has a hole that goes over a stud, or a stud that goes into a hole. Lift up from the door side until the metal mechanism can clear the bottom seat. Push towards the driver's seat and the top of the seat should come right off. Look on the bottom of the seat top and see if it's held together with two interlocking plastic strips (one side may look like a "J" and the other side like an arrowhead) or hog rings between two wires sewn in on the front and back sides. Take this apart and you should be able to peel the seat cover fabric straight up far enough to see what the problem is. If the seat is broken beyond repair, find a donor seat, replace the donor seat cover with your seat cover, and reverse your steps to re-install the seat top. Be very careful, and document where any screws or other fasteners go as you're taking it apart. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:05 AM

Last photo:

Excellent. Thank you very much for the info and help. Now, too find the time...
Old 12-13-2006, 04:09 AM

The Mustangs seat backrest have a two peace frame that were spot welded together and they have lots of support on the recliner side but on the inside where they pivot they lacked support. Does the seat lean back to the inside (right) or twist when you push back on the seat? If you can see the seat flex I would bet money on it you have slit the spot welds. This is an easy fix remove the cover as Dan said and then split the frame from the cushion frame, place a 2x4 on the ground then place the backrest frame over the 2x4 on a corner to corner and stand on the seat to flex the frame straight again. Once you have the frame so it will lie flat on the floor we weld the center opening a complete bead not spots to give support also on each side there is a supported area that the recliner bolts to weld this as well both sides for strength. If all else fails post pics!
Jason
Old 12-15-2006, 12:34 AM

Last photo:

Hello.

No,the seat doesnt lean to tilt one way if I apply pressure, it just goes straight back abit. It is confusing me as I can not feel anything in the seat back until I hit the part that actually is poking out.

The springs are pretty worn, so I may just find a donor seat.

Thank you.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.