Intresting, maybe, new cars with the same exact damage......... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,123 Times in 998 Posts
Intresting, maybe, new cars with the same exact damage.........

The shop where I work does work for Toyota on brand new cars. These are cars still covered in the plastic sheeting over the exterior body panels, wheels, bags on the seats etc. They have never been to a dealer even, just off the train if you will.

Anyway, we get these in batches, five, six or ten or more at a time. These batches will all have the exact same damage. It is funnier then heck how they will look EXACTLY the same.

Sometimes the damage is done loading them on a truck or train, or in one case by riding on the train. We will get ten or so (along with other shops in the area and probably all over the country). I have to assume, there are many of them damaged exactly the same way being they make hundreds of cars everyday and ship them all over.

I have had a bunch come in with a crease down the center of the roof, to ones with tiny, microscopic marks on the lower edge of a bumper that they want us to replace with a new one. I am talking MICROSCOPIC marks that the new owner will have in one day just from road debris. The one that was from riding on the train was one of the more intesting. It was a problem with a certain stretch of rail in the middle of the country in certain train cars where the thing shook the Toyotas in such a way that on a Seinna the muffer would swing back and forth until the rubber broke bouncing the pipe and muffer off the floor and shocks and what not doing all kinds of damage. For this one, the had engineers out from Japan taking pictures (natch) and then ended up putting a camera under some Seinnas to watch what was happening as it was on the train!

Toyota nips these problems in the bud QUICKLY.

Anyway, as I said, ten or fifteen cars with the same damage, then ten or fifteen cars with totally different damage. This has been going on for a few years now at the shop.

The reason I wanted to right this is the last one, it is super strange and I thought it may be entertaining to you guys. And maybe you even have an idea of how in the heck it is happening.

We have a load of new Camrys with the exact same odd damage. The right front wheel and fender are peppered with chips! We are talking ONLY on the fender right where it meets the door and only up on the fender about as high as the top of the wheel well. The aluminum wheel has these same nicks in them. There is NOTHING anywhere else on the car. Just right in this two or three square foot area! There are a number of these Camrys on the lot with this exact damage!

Ok, my theory is that this point on the car is at a gap in the panels on the train that protect it from thrown rocks and what not. Somewhere out there is a rock that breaks up into tiny shrapnel that causes these nicks and chips. But I can't beleive that with all the cars on the trains ONLY Camrys are exposed to this and only on the right front fender. But who knows, I may find out. Most of the time we don't.

Some of these damages are pretty severe by the way. We had a crap load of Tundras that were totalled, looked like they fell off a train or something. We have had a bunch of Seinnas with the rear hatch caved in as well as the front bumpers.

You want to know the real sick part? The "totals" are NOT like the totals you know and love. There is hardly any damage at all, but if some weld on parts are damaged, it is not worth fixing for them. They have thousands of these cars and trucks on lots. One of them is like a piece of sandpaper to us. If it is damaged to where it would cost more than a thousand bucks or something, it is "totaled" and given so some ROP program at a high school or something.

Anyway, got any ideas on the Camry damage?

Brian

By the way, if you are wondering if these damaged cars are sold as "new" some are. If only a bolt on part is changed or something painted, it is sold as new. If it needs any filler or something like that, it is sold to a Toyota employee only or used as a "fleet car". If it needs more than that it is used as donation to some school or something.

The ones sold as new of course come with the same warrantee as if never touched and I don't beleive they have to tell the consumer being it is repaired "during" manufacture in that it hasn't gotten to a dealership ownership yet.

The real funny thing is, OUR warrentee is MUCH longer then the manufacturer!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.