ipod hook up without deck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2009, 12:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

ipod hook up without deck

so i have a 1964 f100 and i dont want to have a new style deck in my truck. i do however want to hook up my ipod to the truck speakers. im thinking maybe just have a real small amp and go thru that. im not looking for the stupid booty thumpin crap just something decent to listen to....i need ideas....i want to do it myself to save on the labor thing (and the pride of doing everything myself to the truck....hehe) but i do need some dynamic ideas...im not one to start good ideas but i can take something and tweak it up right nice!! help me out please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2009, 04:32 AM

Last photo:

For around $400 you can have your original radio converted to AM/FM stereo with an aux input for your iPod.

There is a radio shop in my area called Electro-Tech that does a lot of these conversions. The guys there may even be able to tap an aux input into your original radio instead of converting it. They could also tell you if your idea of hooking the iPod to an amp would work out.

http://turnswitch.com/radio1.htm

Here's a custom job they did for me. A '36 Ford radio converted to AM/FM/Aux 4 ch stereo. Turned out great.

Hope this helps.

Joe G.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:42 PM

thats an awesome idea!! thanks but i forgot to mention that im putting a 3 gauge setup where the old radio was....great idea thanks for doing the homework!!
Old 01-25-2009, 11:32 PM

Last photo:

Might look into motorcycle audio equipment.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:35 AM

If you want a project - There are quite a few small amps (or IDocks) that are designed to sit on a desk and amplify an IPOD so you can listen to it at home. Since most use either batteries or an AC adapter, you could probably use a DC adapter in the truck and get the 5 volts they need. However, most of the cheaper ones probably don't have the sound output level you need in a vehicle.

It might be just as easy to mount an inexpensive radio with an AUX input under the seat and use that to amplify the IPOD. I have an early model (about 2002) of the Pioneer radio/MP3 player in my truck and it has an AUX input that works with my IPOD. The radio also has outputs for a subwoofer and external amp, but I'm just using the internal radio amp right now.

Bruc
Old 01-26-2009, 08:49 AM

Last photo:

This may sound hokey and I hope I explain myself well enough.

Start out with a 3.5mm headphone cord that converts to two female RCA jacks, from there you can hook up a male RCA to speaker wire hooked up to the speaker level inputs on an amp. All items are available at your local Radio Shack.

Chris
Old 01-26-2009, 12:16 PM

Last photo:

There is a device called an audio modulator that hooks up between your trucks radio and antenna. It has audio inputs that you connect with an adapter cable to your I-Pod. Set your radio to one of the FM frequencies it offers and your radio thinks it's tuned in that station. It's a direct connection to the antenna socket so there is no problem with noise or a radio station interfering. Option 2 is a FM transmitter. They transmit on a number of frequencies and your radio pick's them up like a radio station. The're quick and easy to use, can be taken from vehicle to vehicle, but are subject to interference. Cost should be under $50 for either with the first being the better sounding. Sound being limited by the quality of the radio in your truck. Do Not hook up an amp to your trucks radio speakers at the same time as the radio is hooked to them One might not survive the incounter.

Last edited by daoldbuick; 01-26-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:59 PM

im trying to not have a radio at all in there....where the old radio was i want to put gauges....and its less likely to get broken into....thanks tho keep the ideas coming!
Old 01-28-2009, 02:41 PM

I did the same, removed my dash deck. On ebay I found a pre-amp/equalizer it boosts the Ipod signal then plug that into a small amp I used a 150watt 2 channel. That actually drives the speakers,you plug the headphone jack into the preamp and you're in business. The preamp I have has a 7.5vt. boost some are up to 9vt. A regular equalizer without the preamp won't work, I think mine cost $15 to the door and it was new. Works great though.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:16 AM

now thats what im talkin about...thanks man
Old 01-29-2009, 12:43 AM

i found a car amp that has a plug-in for mp3/ipod on it. will that work? its 180watts... and like 17 bucks....
Old 01-29-2009, 10:22 PM

?? would that work or no?
Old 01-30-2009, 04:49 PM

I'm not sure,they have those for motorcycles, I've seen them on ebay but I don't know if they would have enough boost to fill a car. The output from the MP3 is so little. They're cheap enough you might try it, I do like the adjustable equalizer I think it's a 5 band so it's pretty nice to make things sound like you'd like. I removed my dash unit and went with this setup because you can hide it pretty easily. These early vehicles are pretty easy to break into. the speakers are even hidden behind Ozite in my console you'd never even know there's a MP3 in it. I have a Sansa MP3 and it has a built in FM tuner as well and you don't need an antenna.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

in my chev. i'll probally leave whats in it and get a deck with a remote and put the deck in the glovebox or since its got mustang buckets in it have it in the center console with a lock top on it

build a hidden under seat console with a locking cover on it.. so at least you do have a stereo, just get one with an AUX or Ipod connection and a remote. then you'd never have to use the face of the deck

only up-side of the ipod connection over the AUX connection is the ipod charges off your truck. but you fork out more $$ for those radios.. i just have trouble remembering to turn it off
Old 01-31-2009, 07:07 PM

well that preamp thing i bought will be here next week and hopefully i will have my new wiring harness done by then and i will let you all know how it goes...
by the way Hot Rod Wires universal wiring harness is awesome!!! if you guys ever do want to redo the wiring in your car go thru them. their instructions are short and sweet and their wiring is really clean....but best of all they have amazing tech support 7 days a week and late hours (texas time i think).....great product...
by the way im prolly the most inexperienced electrical guy on the planet and my stuff is coming together really well!

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.