IR 1/2" Impact wrenches, what is too much torque? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2006, 05:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

IR 1/2" Impact wrenches, what is too much torque?

I have been looking at different impact wrenches online and find that Ingersoll-Rand makes everything from 280 to over 600 ft-lb models in 1/2" drive. How much torque is needed to handle anything automotive (not semis, ect.) and would twisting things off be a problem with the higher powered models? Any benefits or downfalls to having the 600 ft-lb model over say a 450 ft-lb one? I have a lower power model that does 280 or so & wasn't sure it was going to get the exhaust bolts on my car to break loose, took a good 5-10 sec before they came loose. I won't use this everyday but when I do it will be nice not to have to wonder if it will do the job.
Thanks, Steve

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2006, 05:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

it's never too much power. I have a 750 Ft/ LBS 1" drive Dayton impact wrench, and a 1/2" drive 250 Ft/Lbs drive impact wrench. you can always turn big 1's down to lower settings, you can't turn small 1's up to higher settings
Old 10-28-2006, 08:22 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

I have a matco MT1796 1000 ft lbs reverse torque. I have used this professionally at a truck dealership last summer and am very happy with it, its prob to expensive for your needs tho, check the knowledge base for the threads on what impact to get. I Think the ingersoll rand titanium gun is pretty reasonable price and got 1000 ft lbs reverse also.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:10 PM

impact

IR also makes one called the 2135ti , as advertised it has 1,000 ft/lbs of nut busting torque in reverse , i have one and highly recomend it, i worked on heavy equipment for a few year and bought one of these while working there, withen a few month all the other mechanics had bought their own,
Old 11-07-2006, 06:30 PM

Last photo:

The 2135TI is the model I am looking at saving for right now. Buddy brought his truck down the other night & we used my impact to remove the lugnuts to do the brakes, wouldn't budge them. Went to his place & got his MAC & this wouldn't do them either until we turned the pressure up to around 115 psi. I don't know what they were torqued at but it was a bunch, we had squirted lube in the studs before trying to loosen them. Looking at replacing all fittings on 3/8" hose & airtools with type V hi flo fittings & getting the 2135, hopefully this won't happen again. I got my impact as part of a 5 tool kit & figured I'd replace it someday but not this soon. If this gun holds up working on heavy equipment for a living, for what I do my grandkids will still be using it.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:57 PM

If you do get the 2135, just remember to lube the anvil/snout thing with a needle grease gun attachment every once in a while.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:32 PM
ASE Master

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Get the on that is 1/2 with the highest torque you can afford. You can always turn down the air pressure and torque.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.