Iroc-Z - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Iroc-Z fan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Iroc-Z

I was reciently looking to build a drag car. I have looked for a few different cars but the one that keeps stealing my attention it is a late 80s Camaro Iroc-Z. What classes would this car be legal for? This will NOT be driven on the street just on the track in Denver, Colorado. What all does this car have out of the factory? Thanks for any help you may offer.

Eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Roasten Imports Old School way

Iroc-z

1985-1991
V8's

1985-1986
5.0 Carb 145 hp
L69 5.7 H.O. 190 hp
5.0 T.P.I. 215 hp

5.0 Carb 165 hp
5.0 TPI 215 hp
IROC-Z 5.7 TPI 225 hp

5.0 Carb 170 hp
5.0 TPI 215 hp
IROC-Z 5.7 TPI 225 hp

1989-1990
5.0 Carb 170 hp
5.0 TPI 215 hp
5.7 TPI 240 hp

1991-1992
5.0 Carb 170 hp
5.0 TPI 215 hp
5.7 TPI 245 hp

Tranny
Man.
4 speed
5 speed
Auto
700-R 4 speed overdive

Information provided by
*For more info, please visit www.musclecarclub.com

Old 08-28-2005, 08:24 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

I would rather race a G-body. They are lighter, stiffer and much easier to work with. Not t mention, the Malibu Racing guys are really quite fast without a lot of serious fram stiffening work. Just the F-41 stuff and an upper core support to firewall brace and they turn out real stiff. To me, looks don't go fast just put the power to the ground.

Just my opinion...
Old 08-29-2005, 06:40 PM
you talkin to me?

isn't that the truth.
if your looking to turn a f body into a dragster you'll have some serious chasis problems. i would go with a g body as well.
if your set on a f body i wouldn't set my sites on an iroc. if your going to gut it and tear it up you might as well just get a regular camaro you'll find it cheaper and your going to have to gut it anyway (susp,drivetrain etc...)
Old 08-29-2005, 08:06 PM
Iroc-Z fan

Last photo:

What is the difference of the F-body and the G-body? What type of work would have to be done to stiffen the frame? What would have to be done just to make the car better?

I have been looking around and have a goal set on what I want the car to have when I am done including many and more of the following:

Full roll cage, frame strengthening.

Mark Williams Dana 60 rear end with a spool, high torque axles, 4 link rear end... etc.

5 speed manual transmission - high performance clutch along with a stronger balanced drive shaft (with loops)

383 Stroker.
Blower/turbo Camshaft
Roughly a 7:1-8:1 compression ratio
Dart heads
Currently unsure if I want to go with a Twin-turbo kit from Banks Performance or go with a Blower/Supercharger.
Custom headers and a dual 3.5 inch straight pipe exhaust.
Possibly Nitrous Oxide if needed

I plan to run the car on a racing gas or something upward of 115octane.

I'm looking for roughly 900+ horsepower if possible.

Also, would anyone know where to get a hold of the class specifications for the NHRA or is that in the rule book?

Thanks for the help anyone can offer,
Eric
Old 08-29-2005, 08:31 PM
400SBC4Life

Last photo:

900 thats alot for a 383
use the best parts
Old 08-29-2005, 09:25 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

The F-body is the Camaro Firebird and Teans Am (any year) and they are an oddly heavy car with poor frame strength.

The G-body is the 78-87 Malibu, El Camino, Monte Carlo, Regal, Grand National, Cutlass, Bonneville, 442. I think that's all of them. They are lighter than the F-body and stiffer than the F-body and the previous deacades A-Body. They already come with front disc brakes and can be had with the optional F-41 suspension package wich came with a stiffer front sway bar, a rear sway bar and Radiator core support to frame stiffeners. There are a lot of companies making stiffening parts for the G-body to make it even stiffer. Also, most people don't know that the El Camino actually has the best weight balance of all the cars mentioned above. It can be made to a perfect weight balance without a lot of effort and a little fiberglass.

If you are planning to make a drag car without a ton of cash, a G-body can be had for real cheap in good shape when compared to a similar F-Body.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I personally wouldn't build that engine unless I had the money to finish the forced induction setup right away. Wont be very peppy without the boost to compliment the setup.

That sounds like a VERY expensive idea (especially going with the Banks Twin turbo kit). Do you have the money or is this a 5-10 year type deal?

For one, Id seriously do some reading about forced induction as you can build a turbo kit for a FRACTION of the cost of what Banks wants for theirs. Secondly I'd seriously consider a Fuel Injection setup especially if you are going to go with a Turbo'd engine. You can make your HP goes out of a smallblock, its very possible. But it will require a lot of time and money, and with the amount of boost your going to have to run, you'll want ever precaution taken and many of those precautions can only be taken using a Fuel Injection setup.

Just some food for thought.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:02 PM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcrusch1
Also, would anyone know where to get a hold of the class specifications for the NHRA or is that in the rule book?

Thanks for the help anyone can offer,
Eric
NHRA rulebook has all the class spec info. With all that you are considering you need to evaluate what class you would run -- of course you can bracket race with quite a wide variety of mods.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.