Hot Rod Forum banner

Iron Duke stroker kits?

33K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  ap72 
#1 ·
I'm sure I'll catch some flak for this one, but here it goes.

Do any of you out there know of any Iron Duke 2.5L stroker kits. I know it's a 4in bore x 3in stroke so I would think someone out there would have made one by now. Did a search and found no articles on it.

Thanks.

and yes this looks like another project coming my way when I have no more room as it is :p

#2 ·
Not too sure 'bout that one. Phord has the domestic 4-banger aftermarket with the 2000/2300 engines. Roundy round racers love 'em.

The only thing I remember was a SD verion of the Iron Duke from Pontiac. 175" I think it was. If you dig deep enough you might find a crankshaft in usable shape. You'll need some serious headwork done to take advantage of the extra cubes, or pay through the nose for a SD Pontiac head. If you can find one for sale.

Larry

#3 ·
My Interest On The 4

THERE ARE 4 INCH STROKES OUT THERE. 3.48 IS THE LONGEST IN THE BOOK i JUST LOOKED IN. i DID NOT SEE THE ROD LENGTH BUT YOU WILL DEFINETLY JERK THE ROD BOLTS APART. i DON'T HAVE ANY IDEA OF ROD LENGTH BUT RED LINE IS GOING TO BE LOW. AND YOU NEED THE SD BLOCK OR A TRUCK BLOCK. THE BOTTOM END IS REINFORCED IN THE CASTING.

#5 ·
stroker

I found a 3.625 changeout in a SD Could not get a price though. I have looking in Fiero's myself. I want a 4 cyl also, is this it, and can I afford it. I have 6's and 8's but no 4's , Is the pontiac for me-I hope so but I don't know. I would ask if any one can recommend a 4 cyl for me. I like carb's- maybe 2x2 webers, but I have no restrictions, someone tell me what is the best 4 cyl for street sports car. Or even off road 4x4-good engine, I will put it in, except diesel obviously. highend one way, lowend the other. make some suggestions. mean while I dig for the strokers for you. I started a thread for my 4. mark

#8 ·
A solution to raise cubes on this 151 is to install a 153 crankshaft.It will increase your stroke 1/4".Not much but cheap.I built one recently and had to machine the piston tops about 3 mm.Got 11,6:1 CR with stock head! Burning straight ethanol with a Solex carb and 8 degrees timing advance.Runs smooth.

Paulo

#9 ·
stroker vs Brodix

Sounds better to me, and my personal use but I don't know why the originator of this thread wanted inthe first place. I assume a stroker means you need the whole bottom end anyway. the Question is you did not have to change rods, just top off the pistons.WHATS YOUR AIR FLOW, WHATS YOUR TOP RPM WITHOUT THROUGHING A ROD. thx

#10 ·
There are lots of four cylinder options out there, depending on what you want to do. Olds Quad Fours are great in light rods. For a more nostalgic look track down a Pontiac, International, or Ford "slant four" (literally 1/2 V-8 blocks, usually the right bank -- use the same head/pistons/rods and many other parts of the V-8s). Not many speed parts, but the header is easy and good used cams can be re-ground.

There was a thread here about Chevy and Ford marine fours. The blocks are made heavier due to the constant speed stress of marine engines. That's the only application for the Ford "slant four" -- it was never used in a land vehicle as far as I know. The Chevy marine four is based on the old Chevy four first used in the early Chevy II, IIRC.

#11 ·
madamstn said:
THERE ARE 4 INCH STROKES OUT THERE. 3.48 IS THE LONGEST IN THE BOOK i JUST LOOKED IN. i DID NOT SEE THE ROD LENGTH BUT YOU WILL DEFINETLY JERK THE ROD BOLTS APART. i DON'T HAVE ANY IDEA OF ROD LENGTH BUT RED LINE IS GOING TO BE LOW. AND YOU NEED THE SD BLOCK OR A TRUCK BLOCK. THE BOTTOM END IS REINFORCED IN THE CASTING.
"truck block" I would assume you are talking about an S-10 engine?

#12 · (Edited)
truck block-----slants

yep, thats about all I know on the subject. The old habits die hard, but Pontiacs history has never been toward the high end. Everybody jumped on the over cam-Pontiac did it thru Aussies, Brown and something,I think. Pontiac slant 4, Early 60's tempest half 389 all the way. International half of 345 v8,I have a couple v8s nothing to do with them but run in farm trucks and such.mark ps There used to be some good scout used parts and groups. I did not totally quit, butI am going to try to get out this year. I have 2 4x4's out there besides scouts I am looking for a engine-IRON DUKE ?

#14 ·
crossflow

IRON DUKE CROSSFLOW MY book says no, would not take it for gospel though. Probably not by all counts , I am beginning to get enough material together to have realistic answers, but I am not well organized yet, but I went through a bit of listings,books,etc. mark

#15 ·
Kansas Racing Products, http://www.kansasracingproducts.com

An inline four cylinder block based on the Pontiac Superduty-4 engine. It will accept all of the Pontiac SD-4 components. Also, the block can be ordered to be finish-machined to accept virtually any smallblock V-8 cylinder head...GM, Ford or Mopar. Displacements from 140 cid to 213 cid...up to a four inch stroke crankshaft and 4.125 inch cylinder bore. Roller camshafts are supported by five journal roller bearings. Bellhousing parttern can be ordered to accept most common bellhousings.

A KRP engine has never suffered a block-related failure even under high boost conditions!!

#19 ·
I "hotrodded" an Iron Duke

OK, I almost hate to admit this, but I had an 82 Firebird (not Fiero...Firebird) which came from the factory with teh Iron Duke 2.5 liter 4-banger...yes this was the base motor from 82-85 I believe....all 92hp worht of it. Well, I got this wild hair thinking "If Porsche can get 150hp from their 2.5 liter, why can't I?" - it turns out the answer is "Because you aren't a German engineer with the funds to desing it from scratch" was the answer. In the end I:

rebuilt the 4-banger, .030 over
used 4 custom made Venolia pistons on stock shotpeened rods
a mild Crane cam
replaced the stock TBI unit with a larger unit (30% larger) from Holley
replaced the intake with Edelbrocks Performer TBI for 151 cu in motors (no longer made)
replaced exhaust maniold with Hooker Super Competition header (huge 1 3/4 primaries which really helped the bottom end torque - NOT)
replaced the exhaust with a free-flowing 3 " walker setup
installed a 75hp NOS Nitrous setup (single fogger nozzle)

I actually got to "race" (I use the term loosely) an 84 Firebird with a stock 4-banger and it wasn't even close (off the bottle), so I know my mods made a differnece, but so what - it cost me a ton, and was still slower (off the bottle) than a stock 305 for that year. On the bottle at the track I think (it has been 20 years) I ran in the 9's (1/8 mile folks, 1/8 mile).

For what it's worth...

#20 ·
Iron Duke Stroker

Every body interest in this is coming up short as far as I know. Jeep used the 151 last. The 173 helped so I am told. After market Blocks and/or heads seem to be a viable engine. But expensive. Evolution to the Quad 4 made a good engine,but with EFI ,16 valves, etc Its hard to transfer. I haven't posted much lately. A rebuilt Quad 4 is well over 3000., Good but far evolved from the original. They are supposed to be durable, but at least need the truck block, or the racing block. The block is 2500 bare. I have a lot of info on codes for different uses and recommendations for parts.. I would be interested in 16 valves if it used carbs. I'm on hold, I don't know about anybody else. Anybody want a 944 -85model engine good engine.We keep trying, I can't keep paying for gas like I am doing now. thx m

#22 ·
87442lover said:
I'm sure I'll catch some flak for this one, but here it goes.

Do any of you out there know of any Iron Duke 2.5L stroker kits. I know it's a 4in bore x 3in stroke so I would think someone out there would have made one by now. Did a search and found no articles on it.

Thanks.

and yes this looks like another project coming my way when I have no more room as it is :p
use a crank from a 3.0 Mercuries with 1.9 contacting rods and bore it .060 over. that should put you about 250+ hp. that is what i did with a 2.5 that i put in my 72 Opel 1900 manta

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.