Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - iron performance heads for SBC
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2002, 04:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I have ported several sets of heads and just as importantly, done alot or reading on the subject. You can definetely and easily port your stock heads and even if you don't increase the valve size you will gain up to 30 horse power for two nights work! I really think what you are referring to about your "thin" heads it that they don't have alot of material on their decks which means you can't grind the decks very much for increased compression. Of course you have to be somewhat carefull when porting and polishing and some heads do in fact have more "meat" to grind on but over all, you should have zero problems street porting your heads. Read the book! Now, with the addition of that well thought out roller cam, I bet that it is entirely possible that you can gain 70 horse power when all is said and done! Like I said, I really don't know Vettes but they seem to have big exhaust piping and I even recall seeing factory tube headers. A little bit of tuning and maybe something like a K&N air filter and I guarantee that thing will boil the hydes all the way to the grocery store!