IronHorse Compressors - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2009, 09:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

IronHorse Compressors

I have been surfing the site for a while gleaning all that I can. I have come across ( http://www.eaglecompressor.com/air_c...p?recordID=278 ) for $425.

I have two concerns about the compressor. 1) I have had little luck finding any customer reviews on this compressor. 2) When I looked at the compressor it had a hard time starting. The seller has the compressor plugged into a long extension cord and it took a few tries and resetting the breaker on the compressor to get it to fire. Once started, the compressor ran fine.

My guess, and those of some qualified electrical types believe that he does not have enough amps to start the compressor every time.

Any thought are appreciated.

Justin

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2009, 07:38 AM

Last photo:

You'll need the compressor wired to a correct amped breaker, and use the correct wire size. Can't help on the reviews. 930
Old 11-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Last photo:

My guess is they like just about all the compressor manufactures have gone offshore for their head units....Chinese.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:10 AM

Last photo:

Except for the paint these are identical to the Kobalt at Lowes and several other brand names. From what I have seen of them I would rate them at least as average, that is not top of the line but not bad for the money either assuming you are getting it cheap. You are buying used I assume? The Kobalt sells for around $750 at Lowes and it appears to be OK from a quality standpoint. One thing that I noticed on these is a finned line going to all the cylinders that IMO serves little other purpose than to dupe the buyer into thinking "Two stage" when it actually is not. It may be argued that this line makes for cooler air into the tank but I honestly believe it is useless for that since one cylinder only uses half of it and another one does not use it at all, it certainly does no harm it is just that when they use trickery on one part what else will they do? As for the starting problem, without checking it on site the best we could do is a guess but I am willing to bet that from your description it is nothing more than the extension cord. A cord that is too small, most extension cords will be, will certainly cause the exact problem you describe but be warned it may not be as simple as just wiring it right if the guy has tried to use it like this for any length of time since it may also have damaged the motor. Before buying try it out with the proper wiring if possible or at least try to work out an agreement instead of just assuming all will be well once it is wired properly.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:02 PM

We looked into it a little more today and the fact that it did not have a magnetic starter should have clued us into the fact that there should be capacitors. Indeed, when we removed the cowling from the top of the motor, there sat two capacitors, one of which was a start capacitor. He is going to have the capacitors tested. If that is the problem, then I will likely purchase the compressor. If not, then no deal.

Thanks for the input.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.