Ironman 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2008, 07:07 PM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ironman 2

This is Ironmans new project.It is a sedan delivery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0070.JPGweb.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	27858   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0070.JPGweb.jpgweb.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	27859  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Artful Dodger

Last journal entry: From behind
Last photo:

Looks very promising.

Can't wait...
Old 02-13-2008, 06:39 PM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

Ironman 2

A couple more views.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0074web.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	27949   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0075web.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	27950  
Old 02-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,027 Posts
I can not believe all the hand build bodies on this site. I am not sure where they "fit" in the car world but they sure are interesting! Well done!

Brian
Old 02-14-2008, 10:36 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I can not believe all the hand build bodies on this site. I am not sure where they "fit" in the car world ....
My reading would be that in large part, hand built bodies are emerging on the scene as a result of financial necessity. Years ago the hand built, one-off, body would have been considered a "wild custom" - something out of an Ed Roth, George Barris type of shop. And would have been much more expensive and time consuming to build than just chopping up a dirt cheap model A in pristine condition.

Today, cheap, pristine early metal is a thing of the past. Swap meet "pieces" can still be found but they require a good deal of work to restore and then much of the remaining body STILL has to be hand fabricated or panel formed to complete the car. Fiberglass bodies are not only rather expensive, they require a surprisingly large amount of work and skill to finish properly. Aftermarket steel bodies are now available in several makes, years and models...but they carry a hefty price tag.

Hot rodding has ALWAYS been about innovative ideas, shadetree engineering and tight budgets. And I think the scratch build body lies smack dab in the center of that trifecta. And as more and more guys like New Interiors, Rob "Chuck" Berry and IronMan are willing to share their projects, techniques, and skills on sites like Hotrodders.Com, more and more rodders will be saying, "Hey, I could do that...and I could do it at a reasonable cost".
Old 02-14-2008, 01:54 PM

Last photo:

I think it is great that people have the balls to build a rod from scratch. Some of us cant afford to go out and buy a 20K shell of a car. Then again If you can make one why waste the money. That is the exact reason why I will be making me a 58 vette from homemade molds ......I say if you can built it ... do it. Hot Rodding is all about self expression anyway!
Old 02-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Cboy thanks for the kind words,But you too inspire alot of people and have alot of good idea's.So keep up the good work too.And I'm just another car guy that like hot rodding cars.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:05 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Awesome

Shane
Old 02-15-2008, 08:51 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets cut it up
That is the exact reason why I will be making me a 58 vette from homemade molds ......
Not to hijack Speey's thread but I'm curious about your plan. I was highly tempted to build a 57/58 vette using an available aftermarket body which I thought was reasonably priced at $8,500. But then I started looking into all the pieces I would need to finish the car. Pieces I neither had the machinery or skills to fabricate myself and keep anywhere close to original looking. Whether looking at swap meet stock parts or aftermarket parts, the price tag for the car simply went through the roof. Windshield, grill, bumpers, dash components, seats, lights etc. etc. The list goes on and on and up and up. Early vette parts are just very expensive.

In my brief dalliance with this project, it appeared to me the basic body turns out to be a rather small percentage of the overall cost. So even if you built the body yourself, the balance of the parts list would still put you into the stratosphere in terms of a budget. So I curious how you will be approaching the "non-glass" portions of this project in order to keep it a budget type build.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:02 AM

Last photo:

Well cboy, You correct that the body is only a small percentage of the cost of this type of project. I have been researching this for quite some time to make sure i don't forget anything. I have looked at the body you talked about and the one from Hitek. You are correct about the cost of the parts like chrome and such,But That is if you want a stock looking vette. I have to have the seating area 6 to 8 inches longer to fit in the thing. I have sat in some friends ones and it just not happening in a stock setup. Also I want a sunkin windscreen so the 3 grand for a windshield frame wont be needed either. It is being planned out as a roadster so their will be no windows to roll up or a top either. The front and rear bumpers will be smoothed a the coves split and sectioned to make two nice smaller brake vents and the center grill left open with a nice molded area around them. I am basically doing as my hot rodders name suggests... I am cutting it up but after i make the mold off of an original car that way later i can make another maybe in stock form or whatever. What i want is more of a no frills ol school road race looking vette. Kinda like a cobra but with a vette. So anyway other than making hinges and stuff that can be hand made, I wont need all that high price vette stuff. That is the only way I will be able to do it anyway. It will still cost a few coins but not as much as having to buy bumpers, chrome and all the other vette only stuff. I do plan on fabbing up much of the stuff to make it work anyhow. I am still planing it but as soon as I have my second garage built I will be getting the body moved out to my house to start getting it ready to pull a mold. (I have a 59 and a 61 to choose from to pop the mold so i dunno if i will pull two rears so i can make two different years later). I do not plan on make but one or two of them to play with as they are my dream cars. Plus I have my other cars to finish up too.
I hope I didn't sound to out there in space,But this is the only way i will ever have a c1 vette even if it is not a real vette. Tim
Old 02-15-2008, 11:19 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Well cboy, You correct that the body is only a small percentage of the cost of this type of project. I have been researching this for quite some time to make sure i don't forget anything. I have looked at the body you talked about and the one from Hitek. You are correct about the cost of the parts like chrome and such,But That is if you want a stock looking vette. I have to have the seating area 6 to 8 inches longer to fit in the thing. I have sat in some friends ones and it just not happening in a stock setup. Also I want a sunkin windscreen so the 3 grand for a windshield frame wont be needed either. It is being planned out as a roadster so their will be no windows to roll up or a top either. The front and rear bumpers will be smoothed a the coves split and sectioned to make two nice smaller brake vents and the center grill left open with a nice molded area around them. I am basically doing as my hot rodders name suggests... I am cutting it up but after i make the mold off of an original car that way later i can make another maybe in stock form or whatever. What i want is more of a no frills ol school road race looking vette. Kinda like a cobra but with a vette. So anyway other than making hinges and stuff that can be hand made, I wont need all that high price vette stuff. That is the only way I will be able to do it anyway. It will still cost a few coins but not as much as having to buy bumpers, chrome and all the other vette only stuff. I do plan on fabbing up much of the stuff to make it work anyhow. I am still planing it but as soon as I have my second garage built I will be getting the body moved out to my house to start getting it ready to pull a mold. (I have a 59 and a 61 to choose from to pop the mold so i dunno if i will pull two rears so i can make two different years later). I do not plan on make but one or two of them to play with as they are my dream cars. Plus I have my other cars to finish up too.
I hope I didn't sound to out there in space,But this is the only way i will ever have a c1 vette even if it is not a real vette. Tim
Tim, let's us finish the 55 Chevy first.LOL
Old 02-15-2008, 12:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I hope I didn't sound to out there in space,But this is the only way i will ever have a c1 vette even if it is not a real vette.
Makes dang good sense to me. I'll be interested in how you do some of the "big" details...like the windshield you have in mind...as well as many of the small detail like the headlight bezels.

Thanks for sharing your plan on this one. It's got me thinking again.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:54 AM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

http://usbody.com/
3999 for 64 vette body
Shane
Old 02-16-2008, 10:52 AM
My compass doesn't point North

Last photo:

A couple of thoughts...

That sedan delivery is very inspirational. Maybe i should go out to the garage and work on something.

Cboy, your first post here is bang on.

I'm hoping to (be able to) build my own body for a couple of reasons; One, I get what I want. Two, I am TFT ( Too F***ing Tight) to pay for crating and shipping.... Yes, Paris you're FT too, just not TFT... oh, never mind.

I liked the Old Dog body but would have to make some changes to it and after thinking about it, pretty much decided I'll have a go at making my own glass body. I have been known to spend more trying to make something I could have bought, but that's me. I actually stumbled across a method of manufacturing that I think I could patent, but it wouldn't be worth the cost and a**ache of trying to defend a patent against GM, Ford and Nissan who have similar patents.

If it works... Yes Paris that's a big if for me... I may try to build and market bodies.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:01 PM

Last photo:

Speedy has some up to date pics.Coming soon.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.