It's ALIVE!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2006, 06:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

It's ALIVE!!!

Background:
One of my coworkers told me he was going to sell his hotrod...turned out to be a '68 Malibu.
It's got a 400 +.060, Dart Iron Eagle heads, Milodon Aluminum Roller rockers, Street Dominator Intake, Holley 750. Not sure of the cam, but before the dart heads and roller rockers, he was breaking screw in studs on the original heads. Hedman headers, 3" Exhaust back to Flowmasters, then 2.5" out the back. Those are pretty much the only good points on the car. Trunk pan rusted, every panel has rust or filler, or both. Rear quarters have a lot of filler...won't know until I strip them whether or not I'll salvage them, or replace them. Same with the doors.
Front fenders look pretty decent... rust in the rear bottoms, but not bad... grille will be replaced.
Interior is a yank and toss... carpet, headliner, upholstery, door panels etc will all be replaced. Car was originally Grotto Blue with Medium blue interior...Sin of sins... he had it repainted BROWN... then painted the interior parts, pillar covers, arm rests, dash, everything, BROWN...
It's got American Racing Daisy's on it, 15x7's all the way around...he'd painted the spokes copper... I'm planning on media blasting them back to natural, polishing the perimeter, and having them clear coated. I officially bought the car on thursday for the sum of $1500...I've seen cars in worse shape with no drivetrain go for more than this, so I bought it without even listening to it run. The day I bought it, we were unable to get it to turn over...
Well, I snuck over to the storage yard where the '68 Malibu I just bought has been for the past several years...
We'd tried for the past couple of days to get it started, but 6volts in the battery wasn't going to cut it.
Brought it home, charged it up, went over yesterday, still no go...
My buddy met me over there today and he figured it out... Neutral Safety switch was bad...
we jumped it, and it turned over...primed the carb and it fired right up, but as soon as the
fuel got up around the carb, we noticed a fuel leak where the rubber line attached to the dual feed line...
rubber was like plastic. Ran across the street to Autozone to pick up some line and a new fuel filter, my buddy called
and said to get a fuel pump too... it was rotating where it's supposed to be pinched together...
got back, threw the pump, filter and lines on. We noticed the fuel was bad... smelled funky, be we didn't see any
harm in trying it... reprimed a couple of times, fired up and ran... quite a bit of smoke. Motor
hadn't been run in probably 4 years. kept it at as low an idle as I could for a few minutes, then rev'd her up to
clear the crap out... she seems to run a bit rough, but we're attributing that to the bad gas and more than likely
needing a new set of plugs. I'm going to get a right front tire tomorrow, and hopefully get her home where the major
cleanup will start. It's got Flowmasters on it...not sure what models, I think 40 Series... it sounds awesome at idle, but pretty
darn loud when your revving.
Release the hounds!!!!

Ron

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2006, 05:10 AM

Last photo:

Sounds like a fun project, but I don't envy you with all that body work though!
Old 02-18-2006, 07:32 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Oldsman... I here you. Body work has always been a black art to me...never tried it, but over the past couple of years I've read a LOT about it and am also planning on buying the 'Paintucation' videos of Kevin Tetz... they're reputedly excellent. I figure it gets to be too much, I'll farm it out.
Now that I've got her home, I can start with the important things, like suspension and brakes. Detailing as I go along.
I'm pretty confident I'll be able to do most of the work myself... Farming out body work is EXPENSIVE, but I'm pretty picky, so if I don't like what I'm doing, I will turn it over to a pro...

Ron
Old 02-18-2006, 01:05 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like a plan! Good luck!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.