It's alive...finally - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2005, 05:06 PM
It just takes time and money

Last journal entry: Specifications
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

It's alive...finally

Just finished the break in on the newly rebuilt motor. Everything went fine, no funky noises, but after 15 minutes the temp was at 210 (with both fans on and 180 thermostat). I shut it down and let it cool, and then ran it for another 10 minutes. Everything seems OK. I wasn't happy with the oil pressure it started at 50lbs and dropped after 15 minutes to 35 @ 2000rpm (temp 210), so I pulled the pan and shimmed the pump. Now it's running 65lbs @ 2000 rpm @180, I feel much better. Next project is the trans, my pressure gauge should be arriving Monday via UPS. I tried to post some new pix in the Photo Album yesterday, but the bugs aren't worked out yet. The motor specs are in the Photo Album, if anyone is interested.
AngliaBob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2005, 06:15 PM

Last photo:

YIKES!!! Why would you want more oil pressure than you already had? 35psi at 2000RPM was just fine. You only "need" 10psi per 1000RPM (10psi @ 1000, 20@ 2000, 30@ 3000, etc...).

The extra oil pressure is not gaining anything for you.

Congrats on the new engine.

Royce
Old 02-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

You may have had air in the cooling system. Running it the first time may have worked it out.

I prefer higher oil pressure. That way if you lag on the oil changes etc, it still keeps the pressure up.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Pressure means nothing. It's all about the flow.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:27 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Pressure means everything. Pressure changes the boiling point of liquids.

Pressure means nothing? Are you kidding?
Old 02-19-2005, 12:46 AM

Last photo:

"Pressure means everything. Pressure changes the boiling point of liquids.

Pressure means nothing? Are you kidding"

Please tell me you are kidding? Pressure does not mean "everything" once you have the necessary amount of pressure (which has been proven to be ~10psi per 1000RPM) for the cushion, adding more pressure doesn't help. Having a little more than 10psi per 1000RPM's is not bad but, there is no need to have 65psi at 2000RPM, that is only going to help wear out the distributor gear faster.

Now your point about pressure increasing a liquids boiling point. My goodness!! While this is true in a radiator (closed pressurized system) that does not hold water (excuse the pun) when it comes to oil pressure. Here is a simple example for you a given engine has 10psi of oil pressure @ 1000RPM (using 0-5wt oil) now you change the oil in this exact same engine with 50wt and the oil pressure @ 1000RPM is now 40psi, how did that "change the boiling point" of the oil. It didn't the thicker oil increased the pressure, just as cold oil does and tight bearing clearances. It is quite the opposite, the higher the oil pressure the hotter the oil tends to get. Also the oiling system is not "under" pressure the pressure is created by the oil being pumped through passages, the pressure is a result of the oil "backing up". The oil system is not a closed system, excess oil just gets flung off of the crank shaft. When was the last time you saw oil boil? If you did at what temperature was that?

Higher pressures do not allow extended oil change intervals. You can have 60psi of pressure with water in the oil system, that doesn't mean it's ok to use water in the place of oil. Once the oil is dirty and or broken down it no longer lubricates like it is designed to, just because you still have good oil pressure doesn't mean the oil is still doing it's job. Do you think shoving all the dirt and debris through the passages harder will eliminate damage?

Please tell me you were kidding, even if you really meant what you said.

Royce

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.