It's been a long time my friends - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 08:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

It's been a long time my friends

Hey fellow hotrodders. It's been a long time since I built a hot rod. Me and my 13 year old son just bought a 67 firebird. We plan on doing a complete tear down and replacing every nut and bolt. He really wants a blown motor 8-71 on the car, I never built a 8-71 motor before. I included some pictures to show you guys what were working with. This will be a 3-4 year project for us, and we plan on starting the tear down this summer. Any help with guidance and info would be great. It will need metal work done, and I have never done that before. So I will be looking for a shop[ in the Milwaukee area that would be able to weld in floor boards and quarter panels. Anyone know of any please let me know. We won't get to that part till fall time. We will make a complete journal, and provide lots of pictures for everyone to see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8937340-700-0.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	61372   Click image for larger version

Name:	8937341-700-0.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	61373   Click image for larger version

Name:	8937342-700-0.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	61374   Click image for larger version

Name:	8937345-700-0.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	61375   Click image for larger version

Name:	8937344-700-0.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	61376  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 12:53 PM

Last photo:

Long time

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictivewoodworks
Hey fellow hotrodders. It's been a long time since I built a hot rod. Me and my 13 year old son just bought a 67 firebird. We plan on doing a complete tear down and replacing every nut and bolt. He really wants a blown motor 8-71 on the car, I never built a 8-71 motor before. I included some pictures to show you guys what were working with. This will be a 3-4 year project for us, and we plan on starting the tear down this summer. Any help with guidance and info would be great. It will need metal work done, and I have never done that before. So I will be looking for a shop[ in the Milwaukee area that would be able to weld in floor boards and quarter panels. Anyone know of any please let me know. We won't get to that part till fall time. We will make a complete journal, and provide lots of pictures for everyone to see.
Welcome to the site.

I know that a person can put out a lot of money in this hobby, with that said there are tools that are almost a must when building cars. one is a welder. May i suggest that you and your son take a welding class, the collage in our little town offers one about 3 or 4 times a year. You might have to buy a welder but they always come in handy. That way the two of you can put the panels in yourself, and maybe have less in it than having a shop do it, plus it feels good when you say we did it.

If you don't have a lot of tools, well that is one thing you are going to have to get first, they are a must. Just a thought.

Bob
Old 01-03-2012, 03:41 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Bob. I was thinking about that. I wanted to see about how much a shop would charge for that. I am already going to college to be an engineer, I was thinking about enrolling in another college for the summer to learn how to weld. My school does not offer welding classes (itt-tech). I was just kind of weighing my options.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:00 PM

Last photo:

long time

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictivewoodworks
Thanks Bob. I was thinking about that. I wanted to see about how much a shop would charge for that. I am already going to college to be an engineer, I was thinking about enrolling in another college for the summer to learn how to weld. My school does not offer welding classes (itt-tech). I was just kind of weighing my options.
I don't know if there is an age limit, but I would try and take your son with you. No matter what he does in life he can always use welding, and if he stays with cars it is a must.

Bob
Old 01-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Welcome aboard.

Cole

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.