Its an engine - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 02:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Whats going on with the build today?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0trbo4myCHEVUICK View Post
Whats going on with the build today?
Well, today was a day of reflection lol....on poor decision making, when i put it together I was running into an issue where 2 of the pushrods were slightly binding in the guide plate. So like a hack, I "clearance" the slot just a touch instead of buying a couple adjustable guide plates. So here's where it could have gone sideways lol....instead, I never fired it, and it kept me up all night thinking there was too much movement side to side with the pushrod, and it was going to cause all kinds of geometry issues. Best case, noisy, worst case, broken parts. So today I ordered 2 adjustable guide plates, I removed the old ones, and will get it back together and fired up tommorow night. I'm not normally a patient man, and do things impulsivly as a rule....but I'm glad I didnt this time lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to bygddy For This Useful Post:
0trbo4myCHEVUICK (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 07:28 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the heads up then. Might run into that issue myself, I also have guide plates. Good luck!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

If you've seen (or are able to see) oil filter cutaways you'll have your answer.
NAPA (Wix) has 3 different product offerings ... Silver, Gold, Platinum

Silver:

This is the "economy" filter that is, IMO, still far superior in comparison to the standard orange Fram (eg PH8A, PH13A) ... but you still won't find one on any of my vehicles.

Gold:

That red silicone ADBV is important, especially if the filter will be in service for more than about 5,000 KM (3,000 miles) as the black ones found in less expensive offerings will go hard at about this mileage.

Filtering is entering a new era, as well, with the popularity of synthetic oils, and longer drain intervals.

Platinum:
NAPA (Wix) recently released the new "platinum" oil filter specifically to address this issue using synthetic filter media.

I've been working in the auto parts biz since 1979, and have seen these cutaways a few times, and have seen Fram used consistently to display the low end of the quality spectrum.

Yes, I will concede that it was the "standard" filter being used to compare to Motorcraft's FL1A, which was one heck of a filter at the time, with a layer of felt, etc.

Ford had just introduced the less-expensive CFL1 in order to compete in the $2.00 filter market ... but again ... it was far better constructed than the Fram. Back then, the PH8A didn't even have a crimped seal at the ends of the media, instead just overlapping about 3 or 4 folds. The filter media was GLUED to cardboard end caps! Fram does have the crimp at least now.

So I'll say it again.
Try to get a look at some cutaways, and make your own judgements.

Diesel fuel filters are a whole 'nuther story.
Many of them also have synthetic media. Look for an "XE" suffix on these.

I'm actually going to attend a seminar tomorrow night, and may have some more info to post later.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:18 PM

Last photo:

Looking forward on more info
Old 04-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

No leaks, absolutely nothing weird but a minor belt noise and a tiny exhaust leak at pass collector. Not super happy with the TV cable adjustment, its softer shift then it was before I touched it. So not sure how to adjust for more firmness. Its strong, real real strong, differnet sensation from my vette. That was a rattle trap and real real loud with the sidepipes. So you knew when you were being stupid, with this I rugged it at 60kph, it steps sideways until it up shifts, then hooks and just flies, I kinda thought "well its not as quick as I thought" and looked down at the speed and was at 100mph....in a heartbeat....so it works well. Tommorow I'm going to take some timing out, and find out what the PO used to limit it because its only got about a 12* curve in it. I want to try it around 18-20 but that only gives me 30-32 total. Right now I have it at 24* but it doesn't "feel" quite right. So tommorow is find my gtech and see what it says so I can get some back to back numbers with timing changes. Adjust the TV cable for a more positive shift, and likely pull a VC and adjust valves with the car running cause I'm always paranoid about to much lash. All in all even without fine tuning its faster then anything else I have owned. Which with this tiny cam I'm real surprised at. And best surprise if my scrap meet 750, it was so old the bowls wouldn't even come off the metering plates, that took forever....and i guttednit and chem dipped for a day, then replaced everything back to stock settings. And its incredible, as much as the debate goes on, small gears, (327), small converter (2400) and a fairly heavy car, it should have a VC 750 this DP does absolutely everything right, no bog, no stumble at transition to the secondaries, part throttle was mint, and it idles clean and its crisp. Couldn't be happier.....so any help I can get with my TV cable issue would be appreciated, and thanks so much for everyone's help and interest.
Dave
Old 04-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Doesn't sound too bad, throttle response is excellent
YouTube
Old 04-23-2013, 10:06 PM

link is not working for me?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:11 PM

Last photo:

Works fine for me, but had to click on "desktop" rather than mobile.

Sounds GREAT, btw.

Here it is embedded:

Old 04-24-2013, 09:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimoFinn View Post
Looking forward on more info
I'm going to create a new thread on this subject today.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

So much fun it hurts my brain, first night actually out driving it, on the way to car wash, car looked absolutely gross dirty, and got into a roll with a new coyote car. From a 40k roll I had 2 cars on him until we shut down around 120k....it just pulls soooo well, especially for an "overcarbed" small cam, small cube motor. And with 327 gears it is a highway animal....its tight, it drives amazing, no leaks, nothing weird....and this trans is amazing. And I'm shocked at the positive attention and remarks it got from the carbwash, gas station, corner store.....gtech says 12.66......and I'm inclined to agree........so thanks everyone, Vinnie, tech, fdird, and everyone else who chimed in. And btw I attribute how strong it is sticktly to the heads....because with a 268 and 355ci it shouldn't pull like it does.....+1 for pro-filer....
Dave
Old 04-26-2013, 08:30 PM

Im glad your happy. Have you traded the car yet?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:55 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
Im glad your happy. Have you traded the car yet?
Stop talking to my wife....its creepy lol.
I walked in, said "omg I'm in love with it" she said "so when does it go on kijiji?"
I hate you both equally....
Old 04-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC View Post

I'm actually going to attend a seminar tomorrow night, and may have some more info to post later.
Not to thread jack....

Hey, 66, was it the WIX filtration and lubrication seminar with the guy from BOSS lubricants?
Old 04-27-2013, 07:54 AM

gen 5 corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygddy View Post
Stop talking to my wife....its creepy lol.
I walked in, said "omg I'm in love with it" she said "so when does it go on kijiji?"
I hate you both equally....
I see your future,you've been ruined,,,,,

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.