Its hot help! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2010, 09:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Its hot help!

The PO didn't have AC in my 83 chevy silverado. I am trying to get it going. The problem is I dont have any power to the dark green wire going at the 2 prong connector for the compressor. I checked the fuse and it looks good. I am trying to see if you guys can help me track down the problem. I have downloaded a wiring diagram and looked at the Haynes manual and cant seem to find that particular wire. Please help it hot here in OK

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 09:33 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Some late model compressors will not come on if the freon is very low. Will need to jump a low pressure switch to make it run so that the freon can be added . Very common and is noted in the service manual.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:31 PM

Before I saw the last person posted a comment I had tried to add more refrigerant and the compressor didn't come on/no power to the dark green wire connected to the compressor. I followed the dark green wire and it goes from the compressor to a 2 prong connector by the firewall to a connector at the accumulator. Can you guys tell me where the low pressure switch is located. Is it the 2 prong connector at the accumulator?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:48 PM

The round two prong connector on the sensor in the evaporator line is the low pressure switch. You can bypass the switch by pulling the plug off the switch and putting a jumper between the two sockets in the plug.

There is also another switch as part of the temperature probe, which is inserted into the fins of the evaporator. It should be mounted on the side of the black housing, near the blower motor. This sensor is designed to cut the compressor off if the temperature in the housing is lower than 35 degrees. That keeps the compressor from coming on in freezing weather.

Bruce
Old 07-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by for3300
Before I saw the last person posted a comment I had tried to add more refrigerant and the compressor didn't come on/no power to the dark green wire connected to the compressor. I followed the dark green wire and it goes from the compressor to a 2 prong connector by the firewall to a connector at the accumulator. Can you guys tell me where the low pressure switch is located. Is it the 2 prong connector at the accumulator?
Yes The low pressure switch is at the accumulator it has the the 2 prong connector on it.The dark green goes to the compressor and the light green goes to the selector in the dash. Check for power on the light green wire with the key on and the hvac switch in the a c position.If it is dead the check fuse marked Ignition 3. check it with the key on use a test light. If the light lights on both side of the spades then there is an open circuit. Next stop would be at the a c switch. Does not appear there is any other thermal fuse or thermoststic switch in the system according to the EWD.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.