Hot Rod Forum banner

It's so close now I can taste it.....

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  stonedchihuahua 
#1 ·
The quest to get my hands on an srt-4 may be quickly approachin success......

Lance,

I spoke with our sales manager about the availability of the new SRT-4, we are in the Denver region and there are over 600 Dodge dealers in our region, as is stands the entire Denver region will have a total allocation of 20 SRT-4's. Menlove can't even guarantee that they will receive any of these cars, so why tie up $1500 with them for no guarantee that you'll even get a car? In fact they(Menlove) are trying to buy some of these Neon's to fill the orders they have taken money for, from the California dealers who have them, but the California dealers won't sell them less than $3000-$4000 over MSRP.
We are a Viper SRT certified shop, so we will be a Neon SRT certified and Ram SRT certified shop as well. Dodge will start building our region's allocation in May and ship the first part of June, if & when we are able to get one of these cars, I will call you and let you know as soon as we have one in-bound, at that point I will take a deposit from you, and sell you the car for sticker price plus T&L.

=======
Mike Fuhriman
Hinckley Dodge
484-8755
1-888-753-6343

:cool:

See less See more
#8 ·
Why buy a turbo charged four cylinder four door neon for $20,000 when you can buy a NA V8 two door mustang for $24,000? The turbo neon comes with 215 HP at the front wheels and the mustang comes with 260 HP at the rear wheels. The Mustang sounds like a better buy to me.

#10 ·
The engine is Chrysler built,not mitsu.As far as the mustang,it's more expensive,more to insure,heavier,FAR worse mileage & slower by two tenths.I have a 67' cuda for sat nite fun & need something for mileage & every day.When you consider the low price tag,the performance,mileage,& hop up potential,it just seems like a package that can't be beat for my application...... :)

#12 ·
Sounds like a killer SCCA "cone" car, hope you can procure one for sticker or less. Remember the Miata when it first came out or the S2000 or any other thouroughly hyped new car that enters the marketplace? These cars were all price "gouged" by the dealers for ridiculous prices to people who just had to have the latest and greatest. I have always taken the "wait and see" stance and waited for the car to be out for a year so the bugs can be worked out first and the usual "rush to buy" folks have paid the markup and the the dealer has models sitting on the lot.

Of course it's up to you what you do but I would be very hesistant to judge a new car based on preproduction model testing, those cars are almost always "ringers" so that the usual frothing at the mouth magazines give them the best press possible. I remember the rumours over the Taurus SHO's before they came out that said that Yamaha had produced a 300HP V6 and Ford was rushing to beef up the rest of the car to accomodate it since Ford had only asked for 200HP. Guess who started those rumours...the magazines.

The other thing to consider is all those folks who were stuck with Neons and Cirrus's with blown head gaskets after only 30 000 km's on the clock, many of these folks were never given the fix for free and were out of pocket for the repair. Not to knock Chryco but they have been less than amicable to their loyal owners, the dealer network took advantage wherever they could and many less adamant folks were taken advantage of. It's no mistake that they renamed the Neon to avoid any public perception over the new product.

I would be wary of any product sold by a company that treats it customers this way and does not own up to their mistakes (not that they are the only one). I did a search for "Chysler, class, action, lawsuit" and came up with over <a href="http://www.google.ca/search?q=Chrysler+lawsuit+class+action&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=" target="_blank">4000 hits.</a>

And they wonder why people are flocking to Hondas/Toyota in droves? You know an industry is in trouble when the lawyers are dictating policy.

I would be very careful with your hard earned money.

#14 ·
I have a '98(well soon to be ex-wife has) Neon RT.Been' a pretty good little car.Had the head gasket thing about 60,000.I REALLY need to get a car now & since I bleed Petty blue(MOPAR NUT) this will be it.If howeverI can't get one,I'll probably just order a half ton short bed pickup with the Hemi & 3.91 gear....

#16 ·
Not a big fan of the neon myself, but if thats what jerks yer gerkin go for it. Theres a 2000 neon in town here thats a pretty speedy little bubble, kinda cool looking too, but in two years it won't be god for much of anything but a donation. They are disposabdle cars with absolutly no resale value, but if you like it go for it.

Personally for 20k I'd buy a smooth riding Harley heritage or road king and give it a bit of a hot rod tune up. Gas mialage 50 mpg+, gets way more ladies than a neon, way cheaper, way cooler and a swift boot in your ex wifes carcass. Its also not only a cool cruiser, but an investment. You can sell it for the same or more than you paid for 2-20 years from now.

HK

#18 ·
Well,I should have the 'cuda on the road within the next few months so as far as good ol' rear wheel drive,pin you in the seat muscle,that'll do.Menatime,I'll have the best of both worlds with the little car.Production is limited enough that it should hold it's value fairly well......

#20 ·
not saying it does justice to the GTO, but i'd rather have this than a neon. i'm sure it'll be priced WAY too high, but it has a 340 horse LS1. (i know they could have done a better job on the stying, but it's not the ugliest car i've seen from GM). check it out...

[ April 05, 2003: Message edited by: 98rocket ]</p>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.