I've been told to check my Valve Lash? - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 09:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I'm running the XE256H-10 cam, it has a good idle, I just messed it up now it has to repaired, should be starting the engine tomorrow and breaking in the cam and lifters

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 01:20 AM

Valve adjustment

Someone hit on one good point about rocker nut having a touque spec, if the stud is 5/16 thread down to a step, or a 9/16 socket fits it you can also be sure they are not adjustable.
I could go on and on about geometry but, the quick story is without changing
studs you need to hope the valves are the same height, another long story, sorry I keep wanting to write a book here
PUSH RODS! you have to find how much the lifter plunger is being compressed down into the lifter.
It shouldn't be much. It would be the same amount as if they were adjustable, .050" will work. This is easiest with an empty lifter, on TDC compression stroke, turn push by hand as you tighten rocker nuts until no more play and you can see plunger start to go down. From there if it torques down within one turn of nut, your good. If not you need different length push rods.
If the rocker has correct valve tip contact then you got lucky. Again more lessons needed on that, along with break in, wear, hi lube lifters, springs, cam choices , just too much info for now.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:31 AM

The shop that had rebuilt the engine had put Poly locks on the rockers, why it's beyond why, the lift isn't that high on this cam.
I adjusted the lifters at TDC in the order of the firing order, started at #1 and adjusted both rockers, moving the pushrods up and down til play was gone then went a 1/2 turn. backed off a little tightened the poly and then turned both together.
This should be enough to get it running and I'll see if I need more adjustment once running.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raguza123 View Post
The unit is the Pertronix Ignitor 1181 and the Pertronix tech claimed I needed the ballast resistor because of the coil (Accel Super Stock 8140C) and the fact I ran a 12v wire from the bulkhead to the coil.
All I know I had the wrong wires on her solid core 7mm, found some lobes on the cam worn, valve lash was adjusted wrong.
If you had purchased the Pertronix coil PNX-40111 it would have matched your Pertronix Ignitor 1181. You would not have to use a ballast resistor. The only requirement is to have a +12 volt wire from your ignition switch to the coil which you already ran. On the Carter carburetor the small port on the left is a timed vacuum port. The small port on the right is a full time vacuum port. The 3/8 port in the middle is for the PVC valve. The poly locks were used to lock the adjustment of rocker arms. Too many times the factory type nuts work loose.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdminter59 View Post
If you had purchased the Pertronix coil PNX-40111 it would have matched your Pertronix Ignitor 1181. You would not have to use a ballast resistor. The only requirement is to have a +12 volt wire from your ignition switch to the coil which you already ran. On the Carter carburetor the small port on the left is a timed vacuum port. The small port on the right is a full time vacuum port. The 3/8 port in the middle is for the PVC valve. The poly locks were used to lock the adjustment of rocker arms. Too many times the factory type nuts work loose.
I have removed the Carter 9635SA, put a 67 Carter on it for now I'm gonna have to send the 9635 out for rebuild, it seems to run poorly.
I was thinking of getting one(Pertronix coil)
Old 09-17-2012, 04:22 PM

I got it running after the break in, I drained the oil and put fresh oil in, now I need to fine tune it, I'm using a stock distributor, I decided to hold off with the distributor mods til I get it running like I want, I set the mixtures and removed the vac gauge and put the adv. back on and it kind of idled down and I couldn't keep it running, it was like it was loading up, the plugs are clean.
My timing is set to 6deg BTC, I know my advance is working I watched it with the timing light, it's on full manifold vac., the engine would load up and stall then wouldn't start or start hard, so I bumped the timing up to 8deg BTC, and it started fine.
The carb is from a Pontiac 400, It's a Carter AFB 4242S, it has a lag when I start off but goes away, the engine seems to have a lot power, But I feel it has a Vacuum leak, I did reuse the Carb base gaskets. When I reassembled the engine I plugged up the heat riser and my manifold stills gets very warm to touch and the carb too.
Am I missing something here?
Old 09-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Retarded basic idle timing makes the exhaust hotter, the engine water temp hotter which is going to make the intake manifold
and carb hotter too.

That cam needs 12 to 16deg nase at idle, at least . Fix the distributor and the vacuum leaks.
The Following User Says Thank You to F-BIRD'88 For This Useful Post:
raguza123 (09-17-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post
Retarded basic idle timing makes the exhaust hotter, the engine water temp hotter which is going to make the intake manifold
and carb hotter too.

That cam needs 12 to 16deg nase at idle, at least . Fix the distributor and the vacuum leaks.
What's nase,
I know I have to move it to at least 10 to 12deg BTC.
I gotta grab a couple of gaskets tomorrow.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Base. Why are you so resistant to giving the motor the idle timing it needs to idle correctly?

What works with a stock pontiac cam will not work with these 110LSA cams.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:24 PM

I got it up and running today, now it's time to tune it in and get it where it wants to be?
Old 09-20-2012, 05:56 PM

Set the timing to 12deg BTC, I changed the Accel wires out to Napa Premium, and The Carter AFB 4242S off a 67 Pontiac 400 had a idle air screw on it, I bottomed it out and left it there, I then tapped the hole that was ment for a throttle fast idle screw and put a 10-32 idle screw in it and she ran really good, carb is a little old, needs a good cleaning, but much improvement over 2 weeks ago.
I found the Accel wires were causing a ignition miss which is now gone, the carb needs to be fine tune, but it's a little large for her, but will do for now.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:33 PM

Well I shelved the Carter AFB's for now, I need to use it as a 2nd car, got a job for the month and I went out and grabbed an 1406 Eddy tuned it in and set the timing to 12deg BTC and The vac adv is on the timed port. I test drove it yesterday and today and she burning rubber like I never seen her do, Thanx for your help Guys.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.