Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - I've burned up two alternators in a month
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

We checked the system and found no problems. Kitted one of the alternators and it has been running fine. I think it was a combination of a run-down battery and good old Bakersfield 105F summer that was too much heat load on the units trying to recharge an almost dead battery. Keep my fingers X'd!

Now our problem is a 'blown' engine. Troy fired it up last week and it literally exploded - spark set off explosive mixture in the crank case and he blew out the valve cover gaskets, belled the valve covers, probably belled the oil pan. I was hoping beyond hope the blowby we were experiencing would mend but I think we have a hole in a piston due to hitting the valves. After we rebuilt the engine we broke pushrods on all the cylinders. Turns out I thought he timed the cam and he thought I did. We hadn't, it was ~15deg out. We pulled the heads, had them gone over replaced a couple bent valves and put it all back together. We have had not-right engine problems ever since - low power, hard starting, excessive crankcase blowby. This explosion tells me we have a cracked piston.

Out comes the engine again for a tear down parts inspection and build up. We are getting so good taking the enginge out, working on it, and getting it back in the car, I want to do a run against a Top Fuel team to see if we can beat them!!!!!

Ain't hot rodding fun?