Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Iwata hvlp 400 (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/iwata-hvlp-400-a-220083.html)

swvalcon 06-01-2012 08:37 AM

Iwata hvlp 400

1 Attachment(s)
Just picked up my new Iwata 400. Can't wait to finish the dodge so I can try it on the clear coat. Almost so pretty I hate to use it. At $600 a lot of money but this should be my last clear coat gun.

Irelands child 06-01-2012 08:49 AM

You will be happy with that gun - just remember less air pressure, i.e. 16psig (and I have shot spot in areas as low as 10psig). Of course, your gun plus your technique may require more or less. (WOW!! $600 now Phew :pain: )

As far as 'pretty', I agree - this is my 4 y.o. version:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...hild/Iwata.jpg

cyclopsblown34 06-01-2012 08:57 AM

They are prettier than my Satas but man, I love my Satas.

67Elcamino 06-01-2012 11:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My Supernova LPH400 is prettier but damn.. I need to learn how to get the best out of it. I had to cut and buff the clear so much that it didnt matter what gun I used.

gto_ron 06-01-2012 11:50 AM

ls-400

It took me at least two paint jobs to learn how to use the is-400. Keep the pressure at the gun < 20 psi. It takes a lot of air and when you squeeze the trigger you'd better be ready to paint. I got the 1.3 tip because I'm fairly slow.
It lays out a perfect finish.

ron

swvalcon 06-01-2012 12:09 PM

I worked with a guy before I retired and used his hvlp-400 and liked it so I knew that was the gun I wanted. This one is called the extreme but the tool guy said still just a 400. Seeing as how I'am 62 and semi retired and will only be using this gun for clear it should last me the rest of my life. Next is to up grade my base gun. Not sure what I want to do there.

67Elcamino 07-06-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gto_ron (Post 1562255)
It took me at least two paint jobs to learn how to use the is-400. Keep the pressure at the gun < 20 psi. It takes a lot of air and when you squeeze the trigger you'd better be ready to paint. I got the 1.3 tip because I'm fairly slow.
It lays out a perfect finish.

ron

Whats PSI at the gun guage do you use? I seem to be using 10psi and seems to spray to much air.

deadbodyman 07-07-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swvalcon (Post 1562260)
I worked with a guy before I retired and used his hvlp-400 and liked it so I knew that was the gun I wanted. This one is called the extreme but the tool guy said still just a 400. Seeing as how I'am 62 and semi retired and will only be using this gun for clear it should last me the rest of my life. Next is to up grade my base gun. Not sure what I want to do there.

I think my base gun is a 3000 (Sata) with a 1.3 tip I was using a 1.4 for years to spray my base the difference is incredible I use much less material and at the prices of the paint today it really helps....
I was going to get the super nova for clear but so many guys loved the 400 I thought I'd wait. My Iwata I use for clear is so old I cant even get any parts for it but although the old 1.4 tip sprays a little heavynow, it still sprays great with a nice pattern so theres no rush to get a new gun yet.. when I do it'll either be a 400 or a super nova...be sure to let us know how you like it..it might help me make up my mind..

gto_ron 07-07-2012 10:57 AM

Ls-400

ElCamino

sorry I didn't respond sooner. I set my pressure at 19 psi with a gauge at the gun with the trigger wide open. I'm using the SuperNova and I'm not sure if it's the same as the LS-400 other than styling. I haven't had any trouble with orange peel but as I mentioned I'm fairly slow as compared to videos I've seen of other painters. I do get a run occasionally but I can't blame the gun. I don't paint with the gauge in place, I just use it to set my working pressure from the wall regulator.

ron

deadbodyman 07-09-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gto_ron (Post 1571610)
ElCamino

sorry I didn't respond sooner. I set my pressure at 19 psi with a gauge at the gun with the trigger wide open. I'm using the SuperNova and I'm not sure if it's the same as the LS-400 other than styling. I haven't had any trouble with orange peel but as I mentioned I'm fairly slow as compared to videos I've seen of other painters. I do get a run occasionally but I can't blame the gun. I don't paint with the gauge in place, I just use it to set my working pressure from the wall regulator.

ron

Runs????
Its ALWAYS the guns fault....or the paint....or the filters ....or the bodyman...

BarryK 07-09-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swvalcon (Post 1562260)

You have the best base gun made, now for base! I have the silver cap for clear and the purple cap for base and it just don't get any better.
This week I touched up four damaged areas on the vette, nasty color as base is VW silver and 4 coats of blue tint with metallic and two different Zerrellics added.
Center of hood I laid a 6 in diameter of silver one wet coat and it dried perfectly even, spotted four coats of the blue and cleared the hood never had to look twice as knew it would be perfect, not because I sprayed it but the gun.
Spotted in a two inch problem on rear deck and a 1/4 inch problem in center of door, should have gotten out one of my detail guns but no need to bother.

Could not have done what i did and the speed I did it with one of my Satas, or geos, in all fairness I am geting a used Sata RP 1.3 (2000) to try on base as the 2000, 3000 and 4000 Rps are all 1.4's and I'm thinking the 1.3 may be a trick for the base but we wuill see.

deadbodyman 07-10-2012 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryK (Post 1572294)
You have the best base gun made, now for base! I have the silver cap for clear and the purple cap for base and it just don't get any better.
This week I touched up four damaged areas on the vette, nasty color as base is VW silver and 4 coats of blue tint with metallic and two different Zerrellics added.
Center of hood I laid a 6 in diameter of silver one wet coat and it dried perfectly even, spotted four coats of the blue and cleared the hood never had to look twice as knew it would be perfect, not because I sprayed it but the gun.
Spotted in a two inch problem on rear deck and a 1/4 inch problem in center of door, should have gotten out one of my detail guns but no need to bother.

Could not have done what i did and the speed I did it with one of my Satas, or geos, in all fairness I am geting a used Sata RP 1.3 (2000) to try on base as the 2000, 3000 and 4000 Rps are all 1.4's and I'm thinking the 1.3 may be a trick for the base but we wuill see.

does Sata make a 3000 that isnt a RP ??? Mine dosent say RP on it just 3000...it think anyways.maybe 2000...Hmmmm, now I gotta go look, but I really like it for baseand it does fantastic on blends...It cant spray HS clears very well at all with the 1.3 though..gotta have the old Iwata for that..funny thing is I almst threw it away a few months ago because the fan was getting smaller but when I soaked in a bucket of carb cleaner like you suggested it was like a new gun again....

BarryK 07-10-2012 06:47 AM

[QUOTE=Katherinejjm;1572419]It took me at least two paint jobs to learn how to use the is-400.

The biggest problem with this gun for most people is it is a 5-6 inch from the panel gun, holding this gun 7-8 inches from the panels makes for some tough spraying.

Also a note on this gun, whether you use 10 lbs or 35 lbs at the gun does not matter but if the wall regulator is less then 125 Lbs (25' hose) you are fighting yourself.
140 Lbs is good for a 50 foot hose.
This gun loves SCFM's for breaking up the paint.

BarryK 07-10-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadbodyman (Post 1572434)
does Sata make a 3000 that isnt a RP ??? Mine dosent say RP on it just 3000...it think anyways.maybe 2000...Hmmmm, now I gotta go look, but I really like it for baseand it does fantastic on blends...It cant spray HS clears very well at all with the 1.3 though..gotta have the old Iwata for that..funny thing is I almst threw it away a few months ago because the fan was getting smaller but when I soaked in a bucket of carb cleaner like you suggested it was like a new gun again....

LOL
Yes they have the HVLP and the RP and I think the 3000 has been discontinued but not sure. I have had NO luck making the HVLP work for high solids, so dumped mine real fast but will say the Hvlp did do a nice job on the basecoat.

cyclopsblown34 07-10-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadbodyman (Post 1572434)

Mine's an RP with 1.4 and I love that gun for clear. I also have an old SATAJET RP non digital 1.4 that sprays really nice. My NR95 HVLP is my base gun.