Hot Rod Forum banner

The Iwata LH 1.4 400 Copy pics and review

87K views 183 replies 36 participants last post by  ERV JR 
#1 ·
Here are a few pics I took this afternoon of this bad boy.. As you can clearly see it looks to be the same one they are advertising on ebay, and mine is straight out of China

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
one more

last one for today. Tomorrow when I am fresh I am going to attempt some spray test... I ran reducer thru it today and you could "hear" how well it sprayed, plus it had a nice fan pattern that adjusted easily...There are numbers on thefluid tip adjustment knob and on the fan control knob...

It has an overall nice fit and finish for the price.. The finish on this gun is better than that of my Astro's, similar to my sharpe finnex-100 on the gun body.. stat tuned more to come:D

Attachments

#3 ·
I looked over the pics and WOW that gun does look like The Iwata LPH-400 except the fluid tip is far different. The Iwata LPH has a fluid tip that protrudes slightly past the aircap and has small V shaped notches cut into it. I don't see that on the copy gun. Even if it isn't a direct LPH copy it may spray good- might be a copy of the non regular non-LPH design?

#6 ·
I got it from a friend of mine... He wanted me to try it out to see what i thought..I think some jobbers in different parts of the South are selling them like hotcakes... He got it from a guy wholesaling them to stores... There is a cloud of smoke hoovering over my back yard area from some local idiot burning off something a few miles away.... anyways when/if the air clears, I will drag myself from the couch to my little "shop out back" really its to the side...lol and we are going to spray some colors....

If you are good class, maybe tomorrow we can get Jim to come over and spray the clear....I will get some more pics

#10 ·
Here are a couple more pics of it broke down and what came with the gun... Sorry for my arm sling getting in the way .... My computer I think has a virus, it took me over an hour to download pics off my camera.. I'm taking it to Best Buy this morning so I wont be on line for a few days..the last picture shows some type of sealer that was all through this.. in the cup, and all in the gun body head when i disassembled it.

Attachments

#14 ·
yeah the brand is rongpeng. I seen them for sale from them if you want to buy 200 or more. I don't need that many of them. They don't have any distributers listed on their site either that I've seen. I am sure someone has to sell them if they sell as good as what someone on here said. I haven't found any place to get one besides ebay yet. I would be willing to try it out, but not going to pay what they have been going for on ebay after shipping. A little more money and I can get a name brand and have parts easily available.

#17 ·
No doubt bob. I think there was a little inbreeding going on in reno, Nv at one time. I haven't seen him say one thing usefull on here yet. Wheres the moderators on this site? Can't they ban this gradeschooler from using the forum. And if he signed up for another username, he would be easy to spot as soon as he tried to form a sentance. Most sites would not give someone as many chances as this guy has received, and he would have been banned a long time ago.

#20 ·
Blackls1z said:
I've been lurking for a while. I'm in the process of restoring my K5 Blazer. I was thinking of purchasing this gun. I'm anxious to see what you guys think about this gun. All the descriptions I see for this gun says its HVLP. Its not?

Colin
Which gun are you asking about? There have been several guns discussed in this thread.

The Iwata (brand name) LPH-400 is an HVLP gun.

The Iwata (brand name) W-400 is not, it's just a gravity feed conventional gun.

The Chinese knockoff that has been discussed is a copy of the Iwata LPH-400, so one would have to assume it is indeed an HVLP gun.

Vince

#21 ·
Ahhh Ok. I was referring to the 400 copy listed in the title of the thread. So that is a HVLP gun.....cool. Since I'm just doing this for the enjoyment of it I'm not going to run out and buy a $300 paint gun I'll use very little....but then again I don't want a POS gun that doesn't give good results. Thats why I've had my eye on this 400 copy. Then again.....it may not matter what gun I use LOL.

Colin

#22 ·
The Iwata (brand name) W-400 is not, it's just a gravity feed conventional gun.
Just so you know the Iwata W400-LV is a Compliant reduced pressure gun. It is sort of the Best of Both Worlds for being a hybrid of the Conventional and HVLP technology. The compliant guns put Clear down like a conventional gun for being flatter but yet they grasp the transfer ratings of the hvlp guns at 65% or better.

The W400-LV is in the same class as the Sata RP, DeVilbiss GFG670 Plus, and Sharpe T1-CG for being a compliant model.

The IWATA LPH400-LV has the unique split tip nozzle whereas the W400-LV pictured above does not have the split tip nozzle.

Have you ever seen a Fake Rolex? The Iwata paint gun in the picture above is the real thing for being the W400. You can find the one above on EBAY too.

The ASET web board link with former Dr Gun from Sharpe.
http://www.asetusa.com/phpBB2/index.php

#23 ·
Ok boys got the computer back today and also laid down some paint as well.. My camera is now in the shop so I don't have any pics... seems weird both pieces of equipment messed up on me at the same time, but I digress....

Here is the deal... I was very impressed with how the gun was able to atomize base coat.. I used PPG DBU that I have had for many years... It only took a minute or two to get the spray pattern and flow lined out.. ( It was 103 in my garage today :mad: ).... Began spraying and man I thought it was a dream... Paint laid down with really no orange peel to speak of... The fan pattern is nice, even as it adjusted out to the max it still flowed well, and you could hear that it was not breaking up.. I did not spray test panels with it all the way out, but I did play with it allot adjusting controls and listening and checking the fan pattern etc..... I settled on 32#'s of air pressure for my base application... I'm sure a variation of a few #'s wont make a large difference, so I am going to recommend 30-32 #'s.

I ran some thinner through the gun until I sprayed clear.... Let is set while I mixed my clear SPI HS 3000.... I then dumped the gun swished some reducer this time around and sprayed it through, dumped and added in my clear

Again I was very impressed with the gun once I had it set up it laid down the clear very nicely too... I did not have a problem with orange peel here either... This is something I have been looking for... a gun that can spray HS clear without reduction and leave a very good finish... Note that I am also using a clear that does not "flow out" a few minutes after you spray it, so it is imperative that it lay down perfect from the start.... I used 36#'s pressure to obtain these results with the SPI Clear.... Here I would recommend anywhere from 34-40 #'s.... With fluctuations of compressors and regulators I think this is a safe range..

All in all the gun out performed many of my "pricier" guns with ease.. It is not feather weight gun either, it has some weight on it, so it feels good in your hand.. Ergonomically is what not any worse or better than any other gun I have used before..... Transfer efficiency was that of an HVLP.. It did not waste product by throwing allot in the air etc.....

I would say the gun is well worth the prices that i see and hear of it going for... When you can find a copy that is on par or better than that of a high end gun, you have a precious little jewel... Even if it only last a few years, it will pay for itself over and over again just like its expensive brother would.. and lets face it... if it bites the dust in a few years who really cares anyways, the job of that gun will be complete...

Sorry it took so long to get this done, but with my surgery, computer and camera all setting on the bench it really slowed things down...

Let the debate continue

#24 ·
thanks for the info, what do you think a fair price for this gun is? ive seen them on ebay for arround $40-50 is that good? do u like this gun better than hf's 43430 purple gun, because it seems that this w400 gun is alot better and arround th same price, whatta think, i allready have the 43430 gun but use it only for primer, should i buy the w400 for color and clear?

#25 ·
good to hear. I just won one on ebay at a decent price. If it ever lets me check out and I get the gun, I'll mess around with it and see how well it works. I figured for the money it is worth a shot. Won it for less then the harbor freight gun is priced at. I have to get something other then my conventional for laying clear and if I am not happy with it, then will look for a different gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.