The Iwata LH 1.4 400 Copy pics and review - Page 11 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2006, 05:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I don't know x11, I only paint a few vehicles a year at home now and no longer professionally, but at around $40 how can you go wrong. You can easily pay that for an aircap on some guns. I believe the first coat I sprayed medium wet at a fairly low pressure, maybe around 40 lbs or so. 2nd wetter spraying crossways on the hood instead of following the edges of the hood, and the 3rd coat I sprayed the wettest and at the highest pressure, but still was moving the gun pretty fast. Not like I use to hog it on when I started in around 1990 going real slow real close to the panel and with the fluid cranked out. Took awhile to learn to adjust and turn in the fluid a little. I don't really now, cause I just go by what it sounds like and is spraying like. My regulator probably isn't too accurate anyways, and there is a knob also on the gun to adjust the pressure. I was kinda impressed how the nason and that gun was laying out being the nason was about $25/qt and the gun I think I paid around $35 for. My camera doesn't take very good pics inside, either it turns out too dark, or the bright flash washes out the pic. Now if things would have went right the first time around it may have actually been a joy to do. I could list a ton of things that have gone wrong for me the past week. One good reason to not get in a hurry or panic too much if something didn't go quite right.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2006, 06:13 PM

great looking hood Ken

really nice job. I expessially like the ghost "shop lights" in the paint . It looks flawless. Guess it is the tallent of the artist and not the price of the brush. I have a finishline 3 which I havent used and a w400 clone which I have. Was going to save the finishline for base and clear, heck, I may demote it to primer gun after seeing your handywork. What pressure did you spray clear with? 35psi?
Old 05-03-2006, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

Nahh, I am not a great painter, but a decent buffer which is important often. Took me two tries with the way things went to get it to where it was acceptable to me, Not fun having to buy more material, good thing I have known the paint suppliers owner and one of thier workers for many years. But the clear was laying pretty nicely both times. Got bodyshop price when I bought more clear at least. Just finished wetsanding and buffing. It really pretty good for flaws, except 3 small pinholes where my gun decided it wanted to spit a little water out of the fitting. I normally tape them up, but haven't been doing it since moisture hasn't been too much of a problem. I'll try dabbing some clear in the little pinholes tonight and knocking it down tommorow. I am pretty relieved right now, I was getting pretty frustrated for awhile. Should have had it down last weekend.
I would say I put the first coat on at about 40 psi, just a guess. I didn't spray it real wet, cause I was going over an 800 scratch on the previous clear, and had base move the first time I painted which is what caused majority of the problems. The last coat I shot at higher pressure, maybe 45-50 p.s.i range.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:54 AM

I stand corrected

Well I finally got around to using my finishline gun. It really atomizes urethane great(1.3). The gun is a little big and sucks much more air volume. I still like the midsized w400 clone I have been using. It uses less air to lay primer and paint well and is a handier size. Although, it seemed to need to be 50psi to really break up the paint like like the finishline. It does cloud quite a bit at that pressure though. I have been running the clone at 20-35 psi depending on the material with no peel and little cloud. The devilbiss is a much better gun and probably worth 3x the cost. Can I be more wishy washy. I think that a mid-sized finishline gun with a 600ml cup would be a winner. I am really glad I bought a mid level gun to try and really wonder if I can justify a nice gun. Which I dont need.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:39 AM

Last photo:

I realize this is an old thread and I read all four pages of it and now I'm just as confused as before. I currently use a Finex FX100 gun for my motorcycle paint project but I'm looking at doing some larger stuff in the future and need a larger gun.

My air compressor air delivery concerns me when looking at full size guns. On paper I should be able to run a Finex FX300 but it is getting close to my compressor's upper limit.

That is one reason I am interested in these LVLP copies.

What is the final verdict on these guns?

Did Bondking actually have the same quality gun as Tullshed sells?

Is Barry still considering making the same gun as Bondoking's available for purchase?
Old 07-31-2006, 09:23 AM

lvlp

I have read a lot of good things about astro 4014 guns. They seem to get marks for spray quality equal to the sharpe finnex guns. I have not used one but they look worthy of investigating.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:25 AM

Last photo:

Thank you acsteve. My major concern is my compressor supllying enough air. I'll go take a look at the air requirements of the astro 4014 gun.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:11 AM

Last photo:

If I remember correctly Bondo is pleased with his copy, but his is an astro? not the ebay gun. Well, I just went to use my ebay iwata copy gun last night for a complete. The plastic gravity cup already has a crack in it near where it screws onto the gun body. I had only used it twice before for a bumper and fenders on one car, and the hood for another. Glad I noticed it before dumping clear in the cup. So here I am with base all on and ready after many hours of spraying base and taping (Its a two tone, silver grey metallic with brilliant black pearl stripe on hood, over roof, and down trunklid and rear bumper. I wanted to get it painted this weekend, and was ready to clear late sunday. The gun having a broken cup really messed things up for me. I grabbed my old sharpe gun and thought it looked like it would spray okay, but when I started spraying the car could only get a small pattern out of it. Sprayed first coat on anyways getting some runs and dry spots in the midst. So I run to walmart, only thing open at almost 9 pm on a saturday. Bought the only gravity feed gun they had thier and nabbed the cup off of it. Sprayed the next coat. It sprayed okay then, but I was having real problems getting the clear to flow. I would dump it on, but keep getting dry streaks and be dry by the time I jumped between panels on opposite sides of the car, the edge wouldn't be wet enough for the clear to melt in. I was fairly hot, but I was using a 50/50 mix of the panel activator and the slow activator. I didn't have a good grade of reducer to try adding some to the clear. The clear was laying out pretty flat, but continuely getting dry areas was not fun. I also got a ton of what I think is dirt specks loaded on all the top panels. I tacked before clear and the car was washed and cleaned before base. I was fighting some moisture in the line too. Had had too much problems with moisture previously, but the humidity was pretty bad this weekend. I only managed to get 2 coats of clear on, the sharpe and the small pattern, trying to get it to flow really ate up a lot of clear. Now I am in the process of seeing what panels are salvageable, and what will need blending on a little base and reclearing. Kinda disappointing. Other then taping off the stripes and spending a lot of time out in the garage in heat in humidity, things had gone pretty well till the clear. The base covered well, pretty much covered in two, third one just to be safe, with no mottling, even the coarse silver metallic. Only had two small spots where the second color creaped past the tape, which wasn't too bad to fix. Not having the clear go well kinda ruined my night, but least the base is covered in clear and was cleared within the time window and shouldn't have to be taping off stripes again. I don't have much base, but think it may be enough for any little spots I may need
some for. I'll just have to see what needs more clear, and hopefully I can return the gun I picked up at wally world. Might be time for a more pricey gun, and I need a better spraying environment. Also have to remember to check that the spray gun is working well before even starting to paint. Its rough trying to work around not having the right temperature as well as trying to avoid when insects will find thier way into the area you are painting. The clear looks like it would be real nice If I could have got it to stay wet longer. On small parts it was laying out beautifull, but wasn't going so well for me getting around a car and doing large panels.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:28 PM

Last photo:

Other than the cracked cup am I to understand that you liked how the the Iwata Ebay copy sprayed? Is the cup threads universal among full size paint guns?
Old 07-31-2006, 09:16 PM
X711

Last photo:

Let me chime back in again.

I purchased the Iwata LPH400-144LV. Its got the lv4 cap and a 1.4mm tip.

The clone guns are not even in the ball park compared to this gun. For example the air requirements are rather low, 16 psi for a full fan of 11 - 12 " 7" from the panel.

Also the best feature I like is there is, little or no overspray produced by the gun due to the unique design of the gun tip. Low over spray means for the diyer that life will be good if painting in a non booth condition. Also Fog generation from the gun is very very low.

Most of the higher end guns such as the GFG-670 Plus gun from devilbiss
do a really nice job of atomizing the paint but they can generate a fair amount of overspray. In a booth this might be a non issue, but for the hobbyist the cleaner the process the better IMHO.

Get the real thing if you can afford it. For quality of finish, Low input air requirements, Low overspray & fog generation, there is none better.

Im a convert !

><
Old 02-19-2007, 07:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Other than the cracked cup am I to understand that you liked how the the Iwata Ebay copy sprayed? Is the cup threads universal among full size paint guns?
Sorry I never seen this, so I'll bring this old thread back from the dead. Yes, I am pleased how it sprays considering it was a $40 gun. Errors weren't really the fault of the gun, other then the plastic cup cracking. Most problems can be attributed to user error, or conditions, product choice, ie don't use medium and slow activator mix when its humid and in the 90's in the garage, make sure your guns don't have a cracked cup and your backup is spraying properly before your ready to clear. But I'm going to be getting the real thing, iwata lph-400. Don't do a ton of painting, but enough that it will be worth having a gun so many people have praised. I don't know about the threads, but the cup from the campbell hausfield at wally world fit, and I later bought an aluminum cup at harbor freight, and that fit as well.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:20 AM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

I have the copy and real LPH as well.. used the copy a month or so ago when my LPH was dirty and I did not want to clean it.. Did a supurb job.. It used more clear, but layed it out very nicely
Old 03-21-2007, 05:21 PM

Last journal entry: dash mods
Last photo:

IwataLH400copy / lvlp gun on Ebay

read this thread, (hated the bickering).I was wondering how I'd paint my car as HVLP guns need a bigger compressor than I can afford.Someone emailed me about Iwata LP400 and I didn't know you could spray low pressure.Are you all happy with with the knock off Ebay LP gun?I used to paint laquers and enamels, did some airbrushing,all back in the 70s.So I'm not up on new paint and equipment. Cisco
Old 03-22-2007, 11:05 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCiscoKid
read this thread, (hated the bickering).I was wondering how I'd paint my car as HVLP guns need a bigger compressor than I can afford.Someone emailed me about Iwata LP400 and I didn't know you could spray low pressure. Cisco
Don't confuse low pressure with cfm.
The Iwata uses more air (cfm) than any of my other guns.
My compressor runs more.
It does spray at a lower pressure than most.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:09 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidABQ
No they vary, some are the same, some aren't.
My Astro DX HVLP does fit my Iwata LPH400.
I use the Astro cup on it all the time because it's
got a screw on top.
They are different than my DeVilbiss Finish Line gun.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.