The Iwata LH 1.4 400 Copy pics and review - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2005, 10:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Huh??? Slam another one. Painttekx constrctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2005, 11:23 PM

Last photo:

No doubt bob. I think there was a little inbreeding going on in reno, Nv at one time. I haven't seen him say one thing usefull on here yet. Wheres the moderators on this site? Can't they ban this gradeschooler from using the forum. And if he signed up for another username, he would be easy to spot as soon as he tried to form a sentance. Most sites would not give someone as many chances as this guy has received, and he would have been banned a long time ago.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:37 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
No, he is looking at the same gun-W-400, but there's no price and the fluid tip listed is a 1.5?
You guys are aware of the fact that the W-400 is NON HVLP gun aren't ya'll?

Vince
Old 07-22-2005, 07:31 AM

Last photo:

I've been lurking for a while. I'm in the process of restoring my K5 Blazer. I was thinking of purchasing this gun. I'm anxious to see what you guys think about this gun. All the descriptions I see for this gun says its HVLP. Its not?

Colin
Old 07-22-2005, 08:16 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackls1z
I've been lurking for a while. I'm in the process of restoring my K5 Blazer. I was thinking of purchasing this gun. I'm anxious to see what you guys think about this gun. All the descriptions I see for this gun says its HVLP. Its not?

Colin
Which gun are you asking about? There have been several guns discussed in this thread.

The Iwata (brand name) LPH-400 is an HVLP gun.

The Iwata (brand name) W-400 is not, it's just a gravity feed conventional gun.

The Chinese knockoff that has been discussed is a copy of the Iwata LPH-400, so one would have to assume it is indeed an HVLP gun.

Vince
Old 07-22-2005, 08:38 AM

Last photo:

Ahhh Ok. I was referring to the 400 copy listed in the title of the thread. So that is a HVLP gun.....cool. Since I'm just doing this for the enjoyment of it I'm not going to run out and buy a $300 paint gun I'll use very little....but then again I don't want a POS gun that doesn't give good results. Thats why I've had my eye on this 400 copy. Then again.....it may not matter what gun I use LOL.

Colin
Old 07-24-2005, 09:27 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
The Iwata (brand name) W-400 is not, it's just a gravity feed conventional gun.
Just so you know the Iwata W400-LV is a Compliant reduced pressure gun. It is sort of the Best of Both Worlds for being a hybrid of the Conventional and HVLP technology. The compliant guns put Clear down like a conventional gun for being flatter but yet they grasp the transfer ratings of the hvlp guns at 65% or better.

The W400-LV is in the same class as the Sata RP, DeVilbiss GFG670 Plus, and Sharpe T1-CG for being a compliant model.

The IWATA LPH400-LV has the unique split tip nozzle whereas the W400-LV pictured above does not have the split tip nozzle.

Have you ever seen a Fake Rolex? The Iwata paint gun in the picture above is the real thing for being the W400. You can find the one above on EBAY too.

The ASET web board link with former Dr Gun from Sharpe.
http://www.asetusa.com/phpBB2/index.php
Old 07-25-2005, 09:19 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

Ok boys got the computer back today and also laid down some paint as well.. My camera is now in the shop so I don't have any pics... seems weird both pieces of equipment messed up on me at the same time, but I digress....

Here is the deal... I was very impressed with how the gun was able to atomize base coat.. I used PPG DBU that I have had for many years... It only took a minute or two to get the spray pattern and flow lined out.. ( It was 103 in my garage today ).... Began spraying and man I thought it was a dream... Paint laid down with really no orange peel to speak of... The fan pattern is nice, even as it adjusted out to the max it still flowed well, and you could hear that it was not breaking up.. I did not spray test panels with it all the way out, but I did play with it allot adjusting controls and listening and checking the fan pattern etc..... I settled on 32#'s of air pressure for my base application... I'm sure a variation of a few #'s wont make a large difference, so I am going to recommend 30-32 #'s.

I ran some thinner through the gun until I sprayed clear.... Let is set while I mixed my clear SPI HS 3000.... I then dumped the gun swished some reducer this time around and sprayed it through, dumped and added in my clear

Again I was very impressed with the gun once I had it set up it laid down the clear very nicely too... I did not have a problem with orange peel here either... This is something I have been looking for... a gun that can spray HS clear without reduction and leave a very good finish... Note that I am also using a clear that does not "flow out" a few minutes after you spray it, so it is imperative that it lay down perfect from the start.... I used 36#'s pressure to obtain these results with the SPI Clear.... Here I would recommend anywhere from 34-40 #'s.... With fluctuations of compressors and regulators I think this is a safe range..

All in all the gun out performed many of my "pricier" guns with ease.. It is not feather weight gun either, it has some weight on it, so it feels good in your hand.. Ergonomically is what not any worse or better than any other gun I have used before..... Transfer efficiency was that of an HVLP.. It did not waste product by throwing allot in the air etc.....

I would say the gun is well worth the prices that i see and hear of it going for... When you can find a copy that is on par or better than that of a high end gun, you have a precious little jewel... Even if it only last a few years, it will pay for itself over and over again just like its expensive brother would.. and lets face it... if it bites the dust in a few years who really cares anyways, the job of that gun will be complete...

Sorry it took so long to get this done, but with my surgery, computer and camera all setting on the bench it really slowed things down...

Let the debate continue
Old 07-25-2005, 09:29 PM
alex p

Last journal entry: AHH
Last photo:

thanks for the info, what do you think a fair price for this gun is? ive seen them on ebay for arround $40-50 is that good? do u like this gun better than hf's 43430 purple gun, because it seems that this w400 gun is alot better and arround th same price, whatta think, i allready have the 43430 gun but use it only for primer, should i buy the w400 for color and clear?
Old 07-25-2005, 09:49 PM

Last photo:

good to hear. I just won one on ebay at a decent price. If it ever lets me check out and I get the gun, I'll mess around with it and see how well it works. I figured for the money it is worth a shot. Won it for less then the harbor freight gun is priced at. I have to get something other then my conventional for laying clear and if I am not happy with it, then will look for a different gun.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:10 PM

where can I get one?

Who sells this gun?
Kenseth, who did you got it from, have a link?
Thanks
Old 07-25-2005, 10:28 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

I have heard of them selling in some jobbers for as much as 75-90 dollars.. so the price you are getting from ebay is good as well.. Happy spraying

Staircasesurfer I have never used any guns from HF before so i cant comment on that gun.. but I think you will be fine to use this gun for your base and clear.. It will multi purpose just fine.. you could even spray primer through it as long as you reduced it to spray...
Old 07-25-2005, 11:13 PM

Last photo:

the tuul shed like was mentioned in either this thread or another one, can't remember. Just search for w400 or zhipp and it will come up. I can't get the checkout in the auction to work for me yet though. Won it for 33 bucks and shipping is around 8 bucks. When I first started spraying I bought a gun from craftsman and it sprayed decent, and my craftsman da finally died this year and it was bought in the mid 80's and abused, not oiled all the time ect. So the cheaper tools can sometimes be allright. I just can't see paying 400 and up for a spray gun.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:49 PM
alex p

Last journal entry: AHH
Last photo:

thanks for the info guys, i have decided to try and buy one of these, i will still use my hf for primer and this for base/clear, hopefully i can pick one up under $50, how do you like the 1.5mm tip, is it even a noticeable difference from the 1.4mm type???
Old 07-26-2005, 04:43 AM
Last photo:

Thanks for the review BondoKing, now if we can just find the gun on the net. I got another gun from the Tuul Shed over the weekend for $33. It appears to be just like the HF gun, but a little better quality IMO. I think it may be a copy of a Sharpe gun. I am sure it will spray good, but I am still in the market for the Iwata copy if I can find it. This gun I just received has a 1000cc aluminum cup. I am hoping it will lay down PPG DBC base well. Then I will use the Iwata copy for clear application.

Been working on my deck lid and the deck lid opening. Trying to clean up the deck lid opening is consuming a lot of time, lots of rough fiberglass to smooth up. It as been so hot in Southeast Texas that all you have to do is open the cap of the tube of hardener and the filler starts to kick .

Happy spraying
Vince

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.