IWATA LPH400-LV HVLP SPRAY GUN 1.3 tip - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 11:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhead
zarbat007 you the man !! i sprayed my roadrunner yesterday with the
pressure you said and the mix that we both use and all i can say is WOW!!
JUST UN BELEVEABLE!! thanks for your in put i didn't even practice with the new gun! started on the roof and wow! thanks for the settings!

Glad to help!

Did you use the 7021 Euro or 7211 kwik clear?

Post pictures!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009, 05:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52F1
Well to start this right...Every manufacture has built there spray gun to work best and give you the smoothest finish at 10 PSI Cap pressure.
Now at 10 PSI cap pressure you will have 18-23 psi at the gun with the LPH 400. This does not mean some will not get better results with Higher pressure because the Speed and distance at which you spray can affect the finish.

people who hold the gun farther away or closer than the 4-6" recommended will use a different pressure to get the Same results. Also user speed can affect the way a gun sprays...You should remember that on an Iwata 10 Psi cap pressure will Always come with only 18-23 Psi at the gun...But then this is with Using a "Quality gauge"...At 23 Psi some gauges will read 24-29 Psi

Air hose length and Diameter all come into play also...as well as Available compressor volume..... So bottom Line a Cap Pressure gauge is the only way you can be for sure of the required 10PSI at the cap
Any more Inlet pressure causes Higher cap pressure which is Illegal and just causing more over sprayand wasted paint...So as you see...testing the pressure at the cap is the only way you can make for SURE of the cap pressure..CAP PRESSURE GAUGE
And don't forget the Compressor Volume test....Spray Gun Volume control wide open..with no fluid in gun...trigger pulled all the way back..hold for TWO minutes..if the Compressor will not hold the required cap pressure for two minutes then you compressor is too small..some try to Cheat by turning up the pressure...may not always work
Bottom line is you need to practice with your Spray gun whatever the brand to find the best pressure for you....taking into account all of the above.
Find the Solution that fits your needs

And I see we have another happy Iwata user..and it will only get better with practice and getting more familiar with the gun
52F1
Where can I buy a cap pressure gauge for my Iwata at a reasonable price?
Old 04-16-2009, 08:02 AM

Last journal entry: getting in to it.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52F1
Well to start this right...Every manufacture has built there spray gun to work best and give you the smoothest finish at 10 PSI Cap pressure.
Now at 10 PSI cap pressure you will have 18-23 psi at the gun with the LPH 400. This does not mean some will not get better results with Higher pressure because the Speed and distance at which you spray can affect the finish.

people who hold the gun farther away or closer than the 4-6" recommended will use a different pressure to get the Same results. Also user speed can affect the way a gun sprays...You should remember that on an Iwata 10 Psi cap pressure will Always come with only 18-23 Psi at the gun...But then this is with Using a "Quality gauge"...At 23 Psi some gauges will read 24-29 Psi

Air hose length and Diameter all come into play also...as well as Available compressor volume..... So bottom Line a Cap Pressure gauge is the only way you can be for sure of the required 10PSI at the cap
Any more Inlet pressure causes Higher cap pressure which is Illegal and just causing more over sprayand wasted paint...So as you see...testing the pressure at the cap is the only way you can make for SURE of the cap pressure..CAP PRESSURE GAUGE
And don't forget the Compressor Volume test....Spray Gun Volume control wide open..with no fluid in gun...trigger pulled all the way back..hold for TWO minutes..if the Compressor will not hold the required cap pressure for two minutes then you compressor is too small..some try to Cheat by turning up the pressure...may not always work
Bottom line is you need to practice with your Spray gun whatever the brand to find the best pressure for you....taking into account all of the above.
Find the Solution that fits your needs

And I see we have another happy Iwata user..and it will only get better with practice and getting more familiar with the gun
52F1
well said 52F1, i turned up my psi at the gun to 27 and it made all the difference. i also have the GFG-670 gun and there's no comparison
i have zero,orange Peel with the iwata ! well worth the money.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:09 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarbat007
Glad to help!

Did you use the 7021 Euro or 7211 kwik clear?

Post pictures!
thanks again. i used the 7211 it went on like glass . i cant believe how great !this gun works just amazing . this will save tons of time behind the buffer :thumb up:
Old 04-16-2009, 10:24 AM

I'm a total newbie and I love my Iwata LPH-400 LVX 1.4 tip. I have not gotten a chance to use the orange cap for base yet but the silver cap sprays out epoxy amazing. Hope to spray base and clear soon.

I tried the pressure at 24lbs with the unreduced epoxy and I got more peel than I wanted. Bumped up to 29lbs and the stuff lays down really slick.

I imagine I'll need 24-29lbs for base and clear as well. I have a 50ft 3/8" hose with hiflow couplers. I hogged out the ends of the hose as well to maximize flow. I may try to get a 24ft 1/2 inch hose to see if that changes anything.

Great site BTW.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves66valiant
I'm a total newbie and I love my Iwata LPH-400 LVX 1.4 tip. I have not gotten a chance to use the orange cap for base yet but the silver cap sprays out epoxy amazing. Hope to spray base and clear soon.

I tried the pressure at 24lbs with the unreduced epoxy and I got more peel than I wanted. Bumped up to 29lbs and the stuff lays down really slick.

I imagine I'll need 24-29lbs for base and clear as well. I have a 50ft 3/8" hose with hiflow couplers. I hogged out the ends of the hose as well to maximize flow. I may try to get a 24ft 1/2 inch hose to see if that changes anything.

Great site BTW.
You dont need 24-29 PSI to spray BC with the oragne cap.
Use 14-18 PSI for base. I think I used around 16 to spray silver and it turned out great. However, you need to add pressure to spray clear.

Using 25 PSI for spray BC with Iwata just wastes paint with ridiculous overspray. There is no need to over-atomize BC!

PS: No need for 1/2 inch hose, I think mine is 1/4 and I use it for both Iwata and Sata. Works just fine.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:37 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhead
thanks again. i used the 7211 it went on like glass . i cant believe how great !this gun works just amazing . this will save tons of time behind the buffer :thumb up:
Do not forget the pics!
Old 04-16-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarbat007
You dont need 24-29 PSI to spray BC with the oragne cap.
Use 14-18 PSI for base. I think I used around 16 to spray silver and it turned out great. However, you need to add pressure to spray clear.

Using 25 PSI for spray BC with Iwata just wastes paint with ridiculous overspray. There is no need to over-atomize BC!

PS: No need for 1/2 inch hose, I think mine is 1/4 and I use it for both Iwata and Sata. Works just fine.
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:46 PM

Last photo:

Old 04-16-2009, 07:49 PM

Last photo:

Old 04-16-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool
Where can I buy a cap pressure gauge for my Iwata at a reasonable price?
I use the Autobody Store in Jersy

Owners name is Len...http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...Store_Code=ABS

Good Man to deal with and Very Helpful

52F1
Old 04-17-2009, 06:55 AM

Last photo:

thunderhead,
Great job! looks great!
Old 04-17-2009, 04:54 PM

Seeing that clear laid down makes me drool. I can't wait to get to this step on my convertible. Nicely done beep beep. Mopar or no car
Old 04-19-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96vetteLT4
well you are the first that I have heard from that liked shooting below 20psi ....G
Just for you..Maybe you don't get around much ??...
Just joking...
try this...Many ..Many people find 18-23 psi Plenty

http://www.asetusa.com/phpBB2/index.php

52F1
Old 10-27-2012, 01:55 AM

This is a great thread very awesome info ...
I'm looking at ordering a LPH400-lVX with a 1.3 or 1.4 tip I think im fully convinced now that this a a great gun...my plan is to get a silver cap for top coat as well ..would what would be the recomendation a 1.3 or 1.4 tip ? I have a few good primer guns so I'm going to only use this for base/top coat

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.