IWATA LPH400-LV HVLP SPRAY GUN 1.3 tip - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2009, 04:58 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: getting in to it.
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: michigan
Posts: 21
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IWATA LPH400-LV HVLP SPRAY GUN 1.3 tip

hi I'm thanking of getting this gun. i have The DeVilbiss Plus (GFG-670)
it sprays OK but even with a 1.2 tip i cant get the clear to flow out like glass.
i tried changing settings and even adding more reducer with no luck.
i here a lot people say the IWATA LPH400-LV HVLP SPRAY GUN 1.3 tip
lays the clear down like glass with less over spray. i use PPG clears .
I'm a experienced painter . i been at this for 25 plus years,off and on and am now used to a HVLP gun . i end up sanding and buffing all my jobs out and its getting
real old . any in put would be appreciated.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Old Fool's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: spokane,wa.
Posts: 1,347
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 8
Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts
From what I read BarryK recommends nothing but a 1.4 with his clears, could this be your "real " problem, to small of a fluid tip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: getting in to it.
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: michigan
Posts: 21
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool
From what I read BarryK recommends nothing but a 1.4 with his clears, could this be your "real " problem, to small of a fluid tip?
nope, i tried that also. don't get me wrong this gun sprays well, but i know
clear can be put on with no orange peel. i done it before my self , but its been a few years and since i got this gun it hasn't hap-pend yet. i sprayed about
10 cars with this gun and still a slight orange peel. not glass yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2009, 10:55 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 57
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You want glass?

Iwata LPH400, 1.4 tip
Pressure 27 PSI, 6 inches from panel
Clear reduced by 10%

Straight out of gun, no wet sanding/buffing:





Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2009, 11:37 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: california
Posts: 135
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhead
hi I'm thanking of getting this gun. i have The DeVilbiss Plus (GFG-670)
it sprays OK but even with a 1.2 tip i cant get the clear to flow out like glass.
i tried changing settings and even adding more reducer with no luck.
i here a lot people say the IWATA LPH400-LV HVLP SPRAY GUN 1.3 tip
lays the clear down like glass with less over spray. i use PPG clears .
I'm a experienced painter . i been at this for 25 plus years,off and on and am now used to a HVLP gun . i end up sanding and buffing all my jobs out and its getting
real old . any in put would be appreciated.
The Plus is a Very Good Clear gun Very capable of Orange free Clear coating
A 1.2 tip is Kind of Small....Slow down the application speed...make sure the fluid control is all the way open.
If that don't work get a 1.3 or 1.4 tip
that gun is a good gun
It is all in the application and adjustment...BUT then you can NEVER go wrong with buying a Iwata
52F1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: getting in to it.
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: michigan
Posts: 21
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarbat007
You want glass?

Iwata LPH400, 1.4 tip
Pressure 27 PSI, 6 inches from panel
Clear reduced by 10%

Straight out of gun, no wet sanding/buffing:





wow!! that's what i want perfect ! job!!! thanks as i was going to hit the
submit button for the Iwata LPH400, 1.3 tip i thought i would check my email
one more time i glad i did!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2009, 11:47 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: getting in to it.
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: michigan
Posts: 21
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52F1
The Plus is a Very Good Clear gun Very capable of Orange free Clear coating
A 1.2 tip is Kind of Small....Slow down the application speed...make sure the fluid control is all the way open.
If that don't work get a 1.3 or 1.4 tip
that gun is a good gun
It is all in the application and adjustment...BUT then you can NEVER go wrong with buying a Iwata
52F1
Ben there and done that . it just don't work for me . its close but not a flawless clear gun. i want a glass finish every time like i use to do and i haven't got it with this gun. it might be me i don't know . but it lays out the base coat flawless! so i wont need any more guns after this .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2009, 12:00 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 57
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhead
wow!! that's what i want perfect ! job!!! thanks as i was going to hit the
submit button for the Iwata LPH400, 1.3 tip i thought i would check my email
one more time i glad i did!!
Good choice, the Iwata is kind of slow/medium action gun so 1.4 is the best option.
Many manufacturers recommend this size for their base/clears, especially the high solids!

But for a conventional fast gun like the GFG-670 or Sata RP I'd use 1.3 to avoid too much overspray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: california
Posts: 135
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhead
Ben there and done that . it just don't work for me . its close but not a flawless clear gun. i want a glass finish every time like i use to do and i haven't got it with this gun. it might be me i don't know . but it lays out the base coat flawless! so i wont need any more guns after this .
Well if the Plus don't work for you The Iwata Should.
52F1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: getting in to it.
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: michigan
Posts: 21
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52F1
Well if the Plus don't work for you The Iwata Should.
52F1
thank you guys , i Ben on the net for 2 days now reading the conseversey
between the sata 3000 and the iwata 400 and what a confusing nightmare
i Ben in lol. what this sight needs is a thank you button. because you guys couldn't be thanks enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2009, 12:14 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 57
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhead
thank you guys , i Ben on the net for 2 days now reading the conseversey
between the sata 3000 and the iwata 400 and what a confusing nightmare
i Ben in lol. what this sight needs is a thank you button. because you guys couldn't be thanks enough
I also have the Sata RP 3000, well built and feels great in hand. I haven't sprayed with it yet I'm sure its a great gun.
I got it to spray clear on large panels since its faster. Canada is converting to waterborne basecoats by January 2010 so I'll be using the Iwata with the orange cap for basecoat and the Sata for clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2009, 06:27 AM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: getting in to it.
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: michigan
Posts: 21
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Iwata LPH400, 1.4 tip
Pressure 27 PSI, 6 inches from panel
Clear reduced by 10%

Straight out of gun, no wet sanding/buffing

zarbat007, what clear do you use ? is it ppg? or is it comparable to ppg?
thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 57
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhead
zarbat007, what clear do you use ? is it ppg? or is it comparable to ppg?
thanks.
Transtar Euro Clear 7021 and slow activator.
The Iwata should spray any clear like glass no matter what brand it is, you just need to get the settings right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: getting in to it.
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: michigan
Posts: 21
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarbat007
Transtar Euro Clear 7021 and slow activator.
The Iwata should spray any clear like glass no matter what brand it is, you just need to get the settings right.
lol.. i just switched to this clear last year .so your using the classic clear,
that's what i tried so far . have you tried the euro kwik clear coat yet?
i just got this and wanted to try it but i might change it back for the classic.
i found this company a year ago . at first i was sceptical to change from ppg
but after i sprayed this i was hooked. it cost half the price of ppg and looks
wet after it drys. it reminds me of a clear i use to use about 20 years ago
dau75, that stuff had a amazing wet look after wet sanded and buffed.
funny thing dau75 it wasnt meant to be sanded and buffed.
but i proved them wrong i still have a few customers with that clear on ther cars and they where painted 15 to 20 years ago. and still hold a show room shine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 57
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhead
lol.. i just switched to this clear last year .so your using the classic clear,
that's what i tried so far . have you tried the euro kwik clear coat yet?
i just got this and wanted to try it but i might change it back for the classic.
i found this company a year ago . at first i was sceptical to change from ppg
but after i sprayed this i was hooked. it cost half the price of ppg and looks
wet after it drys. it reminds me of a clear i use to use about 20 years ago
dau75, that stuff had a amazing wet look after wet sanded and buffed.
funny thing dau75 it wasnt meant to be sanded and buffed.
but i proved them wrong i still have a few customers with that clear on ther cars and they where painted 15 to 20 years ago. and still hold a show room shine.
I haven't tried the euro kwik, just the 7021.
If that's the low VOC clear I wouldn't use it as I haven't heard any good about it.
http://www.autobody101.com/forums/vi...highlight=7021

7021 lays great and buffs great anytime, unlike Nason clear that hard as rock after 3 days. Great clear for the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone tried the Neiko HVLP spray gun? Fire Marshal Body - Exterior 4 03-11-2009 12:40 PM
Time to Buy a Spray Gun Fast Eddie D Body - Exterior 14 02-05-2009 11:00 PM
Best Way To Clean A Clogged Spray Gun? way_2fast_4u Body - Exterior 14 05-11-2005 03:46 PM
harbor freight hvlp gun jn0w Introduce Yourself 2 06-15-2004 04:08 PM
Spray Tip Size 41chev Body - Exterior 1 02-26-2004 02:02 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.