Iwata paint gun - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 08:33 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

the reshoot came out much better. I did however end up with more dust and a couple bugs. I will definitely be colorsanding and buffing. what grit sandpaper should I use to knock down a few small runs and then colorsand. ALso a few years back when i painted my Blazer I used some Meguiars compound after sanding. Cant remember the numbers. Any recomends......Steve

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 08:43 AM

Last photo:

also with ss acrylic urethane what is the optimum and max coats. I have plenty of material
Old 02-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I re-read the thread trying to find out if it was single stage metallic or solid color you sprayed...if it's a metallic color,sanding and polishing is not an option...as you sand for polishing you will knock the tops of the metallic's and that can't be polished.

If what you sprayed is a solid color single stage any good quality, non silicone polish would be recommended, Meguier's, 3M, Mother's etc. You should have enough material to polish, it sounds like you put on a bout 4 coats after the last re-do...if you wanted to you could put another two coats on without a problem...any more and your getting a bit to much mil thickness.

Ray
Old 02-03-2013, 11:22 AM

Last photo:

sorry, solid color. i have 4 coats on the fenders an 3 on the doors and hood. I think what I am going to do is put 3 coats on the body shell then maybe give it a quick sanding and shoot two additional coats on the whole car. I think Ill shoot earlier in the day and I wont get so much debris. no booth
Old 02-03-2013, 11:23 AM

Last photo:

shooting white on white is very difficult for me
Old 02-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Shooting white on white is difficult for every painter so your not alone...everything else...sounds good.

Ray
Old 02-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Mad Tiki Customs & Restoration

One of the things I do when I have a sand through is use the SEM brand aerosol etch primer. You can spot it in and once dry sand it with 600Grit and seal that spot. Also keep in mind that sealer has a small window, that once passed, needs to be sanded with 600Grit before painting.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Mad Tiki Customs & Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer1 View Post
shooting white on white is very difficult for me
Blending white is always a challenge. It wants to lay on top of the paint your trying to blend it on. Using a blending agent helps a great deal.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:35 PM

Last photo:

Went ahead and resprayed a few panels. Damn if i didnt take adeep breath and get a run on the door. All in all it camevout pretty good. I am sanding it with 1000 followed by 2000. I am then going to buff it with meguiars 95 and 93. Guess i need to practice breathing
Old 02-20-2013, 04:27 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Went ahead and resprayed a few panels. Damn if i didnt take adeep breath and get a run on the door. All in all it camevout pretty good. I am sanding it with 1000 followed by 2000. I am then going to buff it with meguiars 95 and 93. Guess i need to practice breathing
Don't skip ftom 1000 to 2000
Go -1000,1200,1500,2000
Then buff !
Old 02-20-2013, 09:39 AM

Last photo:

actually I was a bit inaccurate in my post. I was going to go 1000, 1500 and then 2000. I have been using a harbor freight polisher for the last several years. I am finding it to be heavy and a bit awkward. Does anybody make a lighter unit? I also have several areas that are difficult to get at with a power buffer. Is it possible to do a satisfactory job by hand in these areas?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:49 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
actually I was a bit inaccurate in my post. I was going to go 1000, 1500 and then 2000. I have been using a harbor freight polisher for the last several years. I am finding it to be heavy and a bit awkward. Does anybody make a lighter unit? I also have several areas that are difficult to get at with a power buffer. Is it possible to do a satisfactory job by hand in these areas?
It is possible to hand polish those tight areas that a polisher can't get into, but, be prepared for lots of rubbing. In those hard to get at areas, follow the same cutting procedure you normally would, just make sure that you finish extremely fine, I like to finish areas like that with 3,000 Grit Trizac from 3M. Other company's make a 3,000 grit product for less money but in the long run, you save time and energy by stepping up to a quality product like 3M. Use the same polish and a micro fiber towel, lots of elbow grease and it'll come out like the rest of the vehicle.

Ray
Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
It is possible to hand polish those tight areas that a polisher can't get into, but, be prepared for lots of rubbing. In those hard to get at areas, follow the same cutting procedure you normally would, just make sure that you finish extremely fine, I like to finish areas like that with 3,000 Grit Trizac from 3M. Other company's make a 3,000 grit product for less money but in the long run, you save time and energy by stepping up to a quality product like 3M. Use the same polish and a micro fiber towel, lots of elbow grease and it'll come out like the rest of the vehicle.

Ray
Ditto on the trizact 3000, but go 1 step farther to 4000 trizact and hand polish with a light compound and microfiber towel.
Makes it EZ
Old 02-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

There are many company's that make lighter polisher's that have better speed control. Most quality air tool manufacturer's make polishers. These polisher's are, like many things, personal preference. I was fortunate in the fact that I went from body shop to body shop when I was a paint rep and tried out many different brands until I found the one that I felt worked for me. It might be worth a few calls to local shops and get opinions from the painters and or detailers in those shops...if they let you hold one in your hands that's even better...that way you can check it out for balance, speed and agility.

Ray
Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by da34guy View Post
Ditto on the trizact 3000, but go 1 step farther to 4000 trizact and hand polish with a light compound and microfiber towel.
Makes it EZ
As much as I agree with you da34guy about using 4,000 grit, at about $10 a pad from 3M it does get pricey, but, will it make hand polishing faster, without a doubt...EZ...It might be my age, but hand polishing is never EZ...LOL....easier, yes.

Ray

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.