Iwata Super Nova vs Sata - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 05:18 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Iwata Super Nova vs Sata

Anybody using the new Super Nova? Hows it compare to the Satas?
When I was using satas I loved them then I tried an Iwata and I loved that.Now I'm getting ready to buy one last gun and looking to you guys to help me decide.I'm sure they're BOTH great guns but one has to be a little better. Which one and why...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 07:16 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Iwata Super Nova

DBMan

I got a good deal( it was still $$) on a SuperNova from my local jobber. I was undecided between Iwata and Sata until then. I only use the Iwata for cc and it lays down the smoothest cc I've ever seen. I use a regular Sharpe HVLP for my basecoat which is a good gun but the Iwata sprays a very clean distinct pattern with a clean edge. I wish I could get a Sata to compare it to but my budget was stretched by the Iwata.

Another point, I'm not a pro, just a hobbyist who restores cars. For a production shop there are other factors to consider that I don't know about. I hope a pro who has used both guns can post their comment.

Ron
Old 01-26-2011, 07:37 AM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

I have never personally shot a SuperNova but was told it is basically the same thing as the LPH just in a stylized body. EVERYBODY I have talked to says the LPH is handsdown the best clear gun out there. My personal experience with Iwatas is they are awesome guns but a little slow for production shop work. If you're not in the fast paced collision shop then the are great choices. Thats why MOST production painters use Satas.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:51 AM

Last photo:

"If you're not in the fast paced collision shop then the are great choices. Thats why MOST production painters use Satas."

Actually Iwata lays the clear down much nicer AND saves about 20% on material over Sata, a major consideration in production shops. Much less buffing = faster out the door plus the material savings.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldBodyman
"If you're not in the fast paced collision shop then the are great choices. Thats why MOST production painters use Satas."

Actually Iwata lays the clear down much nicer AND saves about 20% on material over Sata, a major consideration in production shops. Much less buffing = faster out the door plus the material savings.
Still doesn't matter, most shops use Sata. They are faster spraying guns so you can get that few extra cars out. %20 savings(which is hype anyway) on clear doesn't compare with the extra volume of cars. AND with production shops, you want the finish to match factory. You don't want factory orange peel on part and super slick on the other. Production painters are different than restoration or custom painters. And most production shops only touch a buffer if there is dirt or a run so wet sanding and polishing isn't a factor.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:30 AM

My production painting days are over now....I'll be doing two or three real nice jobs a year.To tell ya the truth I was leaning a little towards the super nova but it looks a little far out,they changed everything....The guy at the store said everybody really likes them but its your opinions I trust.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:38 AM

Last photo:

BUT to answer deads question, if you normally sand and polish every car anyways, I would go with the Iwata and have the potential to eliminate this step all together. EVERYBODY I have talked to or heard talk about this, ALL said the Iwatas lay the clear like glass. The problem with comparing them though is a Sata RP will lay it like glass too. You have to know your equipment, your products and YOUR abilities.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:43 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
My production painting days are over now....I'll be doing two or three real nice jobs a year.To tell ya the truth I was leaning a little towards the super nova but it looks a little far out,they changed everything....The guy at the store said everybody really likes them but its your opinions I trust.
What's the price difference between it and the LPH400? I would go with the LPH if there is a price difference, for the simple fact that the LPH was supposed to be the ultimate gun and the SuperNova CANNOT be dramatically better. I think people are more excited and caught up in the look instead of the actual performance advantage over the LPH. Like I said, most people I talked to think they are (performance wise) the same gun with different looks.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:16 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

I use a LPH400 for all my clear, it's not a good gun for base but for
clear it is reallygreat. I do small collision repair so this gun fits my needs
perfectly. I did do a complete all over this past summer and if I were
going to do more I would get a Sata, the Iwata is just to slow for me.
Much harder on a all-over trying to keep a wet edge and get around a car
fast. The slower guns will wear you out, especially on large hoods and roofs.
But for my type work, mostly 1 to 2 panels, the Iwata is perfect.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:04 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcclark
I use a LPH400 for all my clear, it's not a good gun for base but for
clear it is reallygreat. I do small collision repair so this gun fits my needs
perfectly. I did do a complete all over this past summer and if I were
going to do more I would get a Sata, the Iwata is just to slow for me.
Much harder on a all-over trying to keep a wet edge and get around a car
fast. The slower guns will wear you out, especially on large hoods and roofs.
But for my type work, mostly 1 to 2 panels, the Iwata is perfect.
This has been my experience with Iwatas too. They are great for bikes. I have always gotten EXCELLENT results with Satas on EVERYTHING from bikes to semis. I painted a helicopter with an Iwata on the first coat of clear and finished with my Sata. The Iwata laid the clear nice, but was in the booth 3 times longer than I needed to be. The SATA 3000RPs are VERY hard to beat, and the 4000s have come out so you can probably get some deals on the 3000s
Old 01-30-2011, 12:16 PM

Last photo:

I didn't like the styling of the SuperNova and it seemed a little heavier than the conventional Iwatas and Satas.

Performance-wise it's great as long as you get the pressure at the gun set to spec. ( ~20-23 psi). The first time I used it I just went by the pressure at the regulator and got a really sh***y cc surface. Now I check the pressure at the gun with the trigger squeezed like I should have in the first place and the cc lays down smooth as glass. I'm not a pro so I need all the help I can get from the gun.

Ron
Old 01-30-2011, 04:02 PM

Well ,it sounds like I need to get the Super Nova in my hands but I think I'm sold already...Thanks guys
Old 01-31-2011, 02:29 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

Hey Mike..

I'm working daily in Augusta now helping a brand new Industrial Company come out of the ground..i'll give you a ring and we can set up an evening for you to try out my SATA 3000 gun,if we can maybe find someone around who has a Iwata that be cool to compare them too,i'd even like to see the "hands on" difference in them too..
I'll bring all my guns and we can do some test shooting on them and shoot the bull since i aint been around lately,been real busy with the holiday traveling and working this new company
Old 01-31-2011, 03:48 PM

Absolutely, give me a call I'm sure I can round up something to paint
Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 AM

I have been using the SATA 3000 rp digital for years and I also use the Iwata Supernova the Supernova kills the SATA hands down! A complete moron could use the Iwata and get a perfect glass finish, it's like magic (well almost) If you are a novice painter it's an absoulte must have especially for clear. It also uses way less air too ( I spray at 17.5 PSI inlet pressure )

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.