Jag irs radius rods - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 02:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Jag irs radius rods

Hi lads , i think i may have f***ed up , with my chassis build , i have been reading mixed thoughts on the location and angle of the radius rods when solid mounting a jag rear end .
Some say that they should follow the inner fulcrum mounting point forward on the same axis to prevent binding which i can understand, others say they can extend straight forward as long as they are long enough which i can also understand, and the rest say they are not needed at all !
i have fitted mine using poly bushes both ends straight forward extending approx 50" . should i change these to match the inner fulcrum axis before i have the chassis painted ? obviosly i want to address this if nessecary before any color goes on it !
the full suspension travel on the rear is only approx 4" on air ,so will the radius rod actually pull the lower arm about at all?
Your opinions would be appreciated i have 4 weeks to sort it before paint
Cheers ASH

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2008, 12:44 PM

Last journal entry: Hand brake
Last photo:

I'm building a '34 roadster with Jaguar rear.
From what I've read and heard the first alternative you describe is the best, the solution you have choosen is the second-best.
And if there still are d*** a**** out there that still say loud that the radius rods are not needed, well I suppose that then will count in as the third best (or better described: worst) way to do it.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:02 PM

Jag rear

Hi mate cheers for your reply, thats what i thought to be honest , the full suspension on my chev is only about 4" between raise/ride/park ,if i take a strip of wood clamp it against the radius rod upright and then move the rod up and down 2" each way from ride height centre mark the arc gap is about 1mm top and bottom and seen as my rods are polybushed front and rear i dont expect this to be a problem (fingers crossed) , i dont seem to get any binding over this travel so all should be good .
Nice looking chassis by the way , jag is the way to go even if people have been usin them for years , they seem to be quite hard to beat !
regards ASH
Old 04-16-2008, 12:20 AM

Last journal entry: Hand brake
Last photo:

Hi there!
And don't forget to set the Jag' IRS up with the drive shafts parallell to the ground.

Some set it up with the lower trailing arms parallell. Then the drive shafts will point slightly upwards from center and out. That mess up the intended geometry on the Jag' IRS.

During the build of my '34 chassis I have browsed lot's of GB Cobra Kit car forums. I find the British Cobra guys very knowledgeable about the Jag' IRS and focused on road handling rather than finned differential covers & bling bling stuff and that's closer to the theme of my '34.

Cheers from Norway!
Old 04-16-2008, 12:41 AM

jag irs

Cheers Staleg, i didnt know that ,but will put it into practice,good luck with ya build ,ASH

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.