jag rearend - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011, 05:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

jag rearend

Hey, just joined the club, I'm building a 32 chevy rat rod truck from scratch, and I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to mount a rearend out of a 86 xjs in it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 06:30 AM

Last journal entry: 50 Ply wagon
Last photo:

Martin...............I will tell you that I put in a Heidts IRS in my 50 Plymouth wagon. It is similiar to a jag and I will also tell you that if you do not have fabrication skills and are able to TIG weld, you should leave it to a pro.
Setting up an IRS is much different than a regular rear. You have to figure out ride height and make struts to set ride height. The figure out the mounting bar that goes across the to mount the rear and also tabs for brackets along with countless measuring for everything.
This type of job is not meant for the home DIY guy unless you REALLY know how to weld and fab.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:12 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

jag rear .

You don't have to Tig weld to build a hot rod. I have 2 Tig welders, but when we started building cars over 50 years ago all we had was a buzz box arc welder, electric drill, and 9 in body grinder.The New Lincoln Square wave, is nice to use ,Years ago I bought the CCR T bucket plans for $ 20 , They sell the Jag rear end plans for $ 5....(or did 15 years ago) the plans Include full size drawings for the brackets. Save the jag cage and cut it apart to make your drill guides. I made copies and laminated them with clear shelf paper, then used the optical plasma cutter at the college, I had some distortion. Check the dimensions on the prints and double check the patterns. The copy machine probably was the problem distorting the images There is Info Here on HR WIKI about building a T bucket. good info there. Jags are popular in Austraia, New Zeeland. and the UK, You will find More info on those forums and a lot of Picts on the HAMB, just search Jag IRS IFS. If you build it Bolt the IRS together , to the crossmember and have the upper spring mounts bolted to the springs before tack welding them the brackets. also Jag info on T bucket forums.. Tbucketeers. .

Last edited by timothale; 11-18-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:03 AM

jag info

Hey martin I used to live in the big house on Baerwaldt, a lot of changes since I sold It. There was a retired machinist that built Model A chassis with Jag suspensions, He lived across the fields at the South end on the west side of Camille It's been over 10 years since I was at his backyard shop. He did excellent work and had the highly modified 50's studebaker. Ask the Rodders around Gilroy, mabe he is still doing Jags.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:08 AM

Last photo:

Narrowing a Jag Rear end

If as I have been told, Jaguar uses a standard Chevy yoke and U Joint for their rear drive axles, then why couldn't you use 1966 to 1969 Corvair (tubular) half shafts in the Jag rear? The rear track of a '66 Corvair was 57".
Old 04-12-2012, 07:52 AM

Corvair V 8

I've never heard of a corvair V 8 breaking the shafts, You should be able to have them shortened and also the botton Jag piece to get the narow track you need. May be ask questins on the corvair club site about problems if any on The V8 Corvairs

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.