Jag XJ6 rear suspension with air rides ???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2006, 08:11 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Jag XJ6 rear suspension with air rides ????

Hello everyone

I am new at this forum and I have a question regarding air suspension on a Jag XJ6 IRS. I have a Ford Pickup truck F100 1956 that I am planing to make a hot rod of. I am planing on having a Jag XJ6 rear axle with air ride suspension. I have been searching the internet and a lot of forums regarding different kinds of solution on this matter but I have come up with nothing.

Does anyone know where I can find something or someone regarding this.

Someone must have thought of this earlier.

By the way great site with a lot of info and tips.

I would really appreciate feedback on this matter.

Best regards

Jimmy Carlsson
Sweden

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2006, 08:14 AM

Last photo:

Just a clarification:

I have found a lot of info regarding Hot rods and Jag rear axles but nowone with air suspension, so thats the key question. A Jag IRS with air rides.

Anyone?

Best regards

Jimmy Carlsson
Sweden
Old 08-03-2006, 12:55 AM

Last photo:

No one ?????

Best regards

Jimmy
Old 08-03-2006, 01:11 AM
A different breed

Last journal entry: New Truck
Last photo:

Are you talking about a rear end like this?

This is out of an XJ7. I dont know if they are the same. But I will tell you how I plan to install the air ride in my F100. Those arms that come off the front of the control arm are neccessary in the rear end design, so Jaguar says. So, I plan on keeping them. I will cut off the stock tabs and weld on my own to fit a link bar with a super pivot end in it, and a standard bushing in the other. I will place the bag on that bar. That bar, will look like this, but likely longer.

And it will have a super pivot end on one side. I dont know how low you want to go, but you may have ot build a frame from the cab back to make it work cleanly.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:45 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

There is no easy way to put air suspension on a Jag (or most) IRS systems. You can use a single coil over, but the coil over is very close to the drive axle (half shaft). That's why Jag used a forged steel shaft instead of a tubular one -- to get the coil over shocks closer together.

Air Ride shows a photo of Shock Waves used with a Kugel IRS, which is very similar to the Jag. Should work, but the Shock Waves are 4" or more in diameter. You'll need to weld on a substantial bracket to the lower arm of the Jag suspension to use them. I wouldn't try to just extend the bar the original shocks mount on that far.

Twisted Minis photos didn't load on my computer, but I think he's talking about mounting bags on the forward radius arms. That might work, but I'd beef up where the arm mounts to the Jag lower control arm. There's just a 5/8" bolt going through there. The arm itself will have the be built to hold the weight of the car too. I use a pair of 3/4" tubular control arms made for a four link setup for my radius arms, with screw in urethane bushed ends.

The arms are necessary. Otherwise the diff would want to twist whenever the tires hit anything they had to roll over. Even if the diff is mounted solid you need the radius arms. A really light vehicle might get by without them, but then there would be more force put on the pivots of the lower control arms, and the bearing aren't designed for forces in that direction.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:42 AM

Last photo:

Thank you Twisted Mini and farna:

Yes that the kind of rear end I was talking about.

Now you got my imagination going again.

I will be keeping my eyes on your project journal to see how it ends up for you twisted mini.

I was thinking about the suggestion you gave me farna regarding replacing the clovers with airbags but that is a quit expensive solution with four bags instead of 2???? however I have not decided anything yet. I just want to find out every possible solution before i decide

Keep the suggestion coming

Best regards

Jimmy
Old 08-03-2006, 03:48 AM
Where's my Sawzall?

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation
Last journal entry: More progress...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Honda parts...

What about a wishbone that fits over the axleshaft, similar to how Honda has been doing their front strut setups on Civics and Accords? That would put the bag directly over the axleshaft, and a simple upper mount could be used...
Old 08-04-2006, 12:55 AM

Last photo:

DrChop

Yes that has crossed my mind. But it is very tight between the driveshaft and floor of the bed. So I dont know if their is enough space for that kind of solution.

I am know trying to model the rear axel and frame (in Idead 3-D) to see how one can solve this matter.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Best regards

Jimmy
Old 08-04-2006, 02:50 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Jim, just use TWO air shock type bags, not four. Weld a new lower mount to the rear of the stock swing arm and make a mount for the top. A piece of 2" square tubing notched to fit close to the tubular lower arm then welded on should work, with a plate over the open end of the tubing. Use a 1/2" thick plate and drill and tap for a bolt, or use a 1/4" plate with a piece of tubing welded inside that will meet the existing shock mount. Then you could extend the original rod through the tube. The original shock mount is simply a hardened steel rod through a tube wleded into the lower control arm. To push a couple more inches away and just support in the rear and not in front and rear would require a bit more support.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:08 AM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

Or, you could do something like this:
Old 10-15-2006, 11:14 PM

Last photo:

Wow! And I thought I was making my ride needlessly complicated! I'm building a '37 chev PU and ran across a deal on an IRS out of a XJ-12s. Here's a pic of my frame after installing the Jag rear: http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showph...cat/500/page/1

I used a prefabbed crossmember kit from CWI: http://www.cwiinc.com/jagsuspensions.htm

You can see in my picture that I'm currently only running one pair of coilovers - the 2nd pair are stashed away until I decide on final ride height (the CWI X-member is adjustable).

I can't see why you couldn't spec out a pair of bags - after determining "shock" length requirements. I considered it but decided against it after failing to find any vender who could (or would) let me test drive an airbag-equipped car. There is no way I'm gonna plunk down that kinda coinage without knowing exactly what I'm gonna get!

~rockrr~
Old 10-17-2006, 03:15 PM

Last photo:

IRS's are definitely do-able with air.... in fact CWI has been doing it for a while and I think they offer up the brackets to accomplish it as well. You could also do it like the Kugel... where you run a lightly sprung coil in the rear and use a Shockwave on the front of the control arm. The typical Shockwave that we use in applications like this are the 7000 series which have a max diameter of 4". Here is an image of my 61 with a Shockwave equipped C-4
Old 02-13-2008, 04:25 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

jag drive shaft

My son is building a 22 dodge lakester..SBC th350,,,Jag Irs i was helping him and when he was ready for a drive shaft he looked at the custom yokes adaptor u joints etc i said lets look in the parts rack I pulled out a drive shaft and It measured the same as the chevy ..It slides right into the chevy trans and the u joints are the same as the jag. WE have junked out about 30 cars in the last 15 years and i never used to mark parts and don't know what it came out of. I have 2 more jag rear ends one for the 32 roadster project and one for the 29 nash Does anybody know what my lucky driveshaft came out of ? ? ?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:11 PM

What a Rube!

Hey...is that suspension picture a Rube Goldberg??? LOL
I've got an XJ6 '85 , just a cruizer! Good luck with your project!
Old 02-13-2008, 08:46 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
My son is building a 22 dodge lakester..SBC th350,,,Jag Irs i was helping him and when he was ready for a drive shaft he looked at the custom yokes adaptor u joints etc i said lets look in the parts rack I pulled out a drive shaft and It measured the same as the chevy ..It slides right into the chevy trans and the u joints are the same as the jag. WE have junked out about 30 cars in the last 15 years and i never used to mark parts and don't know what it came out of. I have 2 more jag rear ends one for the 32 roadster project and one for the 29 nash Does anybody know what my lucky driveshaft came out of ? ? ?
Some of the jags used a turbo 400 transmission IIRC.

Shane

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.