Jaguar independent rear suspension specs - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2009, 06:15 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

The 88 and later 40 series might be okay. The only problems I found with the earlier ones are that the rack is prone to leaking (with some miles on it anyway!) and they are EXPENSIVE to replace with a Jag part. Converting to a Ford or other rack might be an option, I didn't look into it further. Those early front discs look good, but the big cast iron four piston calipers are HEAVY!! I got a pair thinking I'd adapt them to the front of my Rambler since I have a Jag IRS with discs in the back. Ordered from a guy off e-bay, reasonable shipping too. Wish I hadn't once I got them!! They must weigh 10-15 pounds each!! Didn't use them....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 04:00 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

By way of an update on wheel backspacing Early Wheel Company make a 15 x 6 inch wheel with a 5.25 inch back space and a 15 x 7 inch wheel with a 6" back space.
http://www.earlywheel.com/products.h...ng-information
Old 06-20-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farna
The 88 and later 40 series might be okay. The only problems I found with the earlier ones are that the rack is prone to leaking (with some miles on it anyway!) and they are EXPENSIVE to replace with a Jag part. Converting to a Ford or other rack might be an option, I didn't look into it further. Those early front discs look good, but the big cast iron four piston calipers are HEAVY!! I got a pair thinking I'd adapt them to the front of my Rambler since I have a Jag IRS with discs in the back. Ordered from a guy off e-bay, reasonable shipping too. Wish I hadn't once I got them!! They must weigh 10-15 pounds each!! Didn't use them....
so what replacements -direct bolt ons are avalable, for the 87 and earlier calipers?
Old 06-20-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
I have the series 40 front suspensions. the series 40 moved the rear brakes to the outside and redesigned the front suspension. the stock upper arms on a series 1-3 have the pivot points canted to point about 30 ft in front of the car The K an K has the pivot shafts more or less in the same plane as the centerline of the car. and probably lower at the rear similar to the mustang II for anti dive. series 40 have very little adjustment capability. the early S 1-3 have bolt and shim attachments. I was thinking of doing the eccentric shaft inside a 4 in piece of 1 1/2 dom to give more camber and castor adjustment. the Jag suspension projects cars are about 4 and 5 on the list
I just got a front end out from a 85 today- to stick under a 38 chevy pickup--and noticed that what you are calling series 40 DOES have a crossmember that unbolts like the earlier ones -(before I seemed to think it was a unitized crossmember on 88 up). and it got me thinking are the wheel offset the same or did they go to a closer to zero offset on the series 40 ? what is the rotor to rotor face width of the 85-earlier and what is the r to r face on the series 40?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:19 PM

Last photo:

Jaguar rear axle in Model A

Installing a 1973 Jag rear in my '31 Model A Coupe. I must have measured the rear end a dozen times adding for tires, subtracting for rims and such. After all that I came up with something that looks like it will work WITHOUT narrowing the rear axle.

I bought 15 x 7" rims with 5.75" back spacing. These were the widest I could go without the inner rim flange hitting the hub housing. I installed 235-75 x 15 tires and all thing considered the tires fit under the fenders.

Also I kept the stock rear crossmember and made an insert to fit in where the stock spring sat and then fabbed a mount for the center mount on the pumpkin.

I'll send photos later.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.