Jaguar IRS - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2005, 09:35 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Jaguar IRS

hello all, im actually a RWD import fan myself but came to this board and lots of others to find out specific information that was very hard to find and want to contribute/debate/reference what I've found to what you all know. I'm tired now so I'll just copy and paste an email i've just written that explains my findings, somebody who knows about the Jaguar IRS let me know please.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/131_0206_oru/

they used a salisbury rear end as you can see the 5 bolt holes on the axle stub flange in this picture

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...131_0206_oru/#

the article also reads they ordered a 4.88 R&P from US gear

look under Dana 44 Front http://www.usgear.com/tl/dana1.htm

the dimensions of the pinion are the same from summit aswell check gear ratio 4.56:1.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...=KeywordSearch

that at summit and the other at us gear, all same dimensions, teeth/spline/ and ring gear diameter.

SO, why did jaguar name the Dana series rear end dana when its the Salisbury rear end that uses the dana 44 rear end gears? No Idea. unless they both use dana 44 gears and im wasting my time??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2005, 09:52 AM
Backyard Builder

I don't know about the Jaguar center, but that Suburban is going to have the worst turning radius with that spherical bearing on the upper A-arm mounted horizontally (and coupled with the long wheelbase). Strange design, but always neat to see those fab jobs.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:36 AM

I'm still in need of some affirment, bump!
Old 02-16-2006, 09:53 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Dana is the parent company that makes the center diff of the Jag. IIRC it's called a "Salisbury" in the UK because the UK Dana subsidiary plant is in or near Salisbury. Dana is now part of Dana-Spicer Corp., which may be part of some bigger company now.

The diff is ALMOST identical to the Dana 44. The diff is the same, but the pinion shaft is slightly smaller and the bolts holding the ring gear to the carrier are slightly smaller than the US Dana 44. I'm not sure about the side bearings, but they are probably different too. I'd think the sizes were changed to those more common in the UK, but can't say for sure.

To install Dana 44 gears you need a special installation kit that has shoulder bolts to match the larger bolt holes to the size of the Jag carrier (or have a machine shop drill and tap the carrier for the bigger bolts) and special bearings to mount the D44 pinion in the Jag housing. Of course you need the yoke for the pinion shaft too. CWI (http://www.cwiinc.com/index.html) has yokes to mate with the Jag driveshaft flange, or you can use a standard D44 yoke and change the driveshaft.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:40 AM

wow good info am I going to need to do that to either rear end i get or is there a difference between the two and if so which is less work? only reason I ask is because I'd assume the guys building that truck would mention this aswell as others whom have used the rear end but cannot be sure. are these bearings/kit available? basically I want to run soemthing like 4.1...

Last edited by hopeful; 02-17-2006 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:37 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

CWI will sell you an installation kit along with gears. Other Jag companies will too. ALL the Jaguar diffs are Salisbury, no actual Dana 44 diffs. A couple aftermarket companies (like CWI) make Ford 9" based diffs that use all standard Ford 9" parts. Other gear companies may have the kits as well. I don't know what gears Jaguar used except that they had a 2.88, 3.31, and 3.55 depending on year and vehicle. All IRS units use the same diff, though the stub axle bearings are different depending on year (early ones used ball bearings, later used taper). So the gears and diff itself will interchange. I have an early ball bearing type diff (late 60s XKE) in my later model (1988 XJ6) center section. I used the late model taper bearings and the late 60s 3.55 gear set. There may be a 3.73 or 4.10 set specifically for the Jag. The Jag gears will cost a bit more, bit once you add the cost of the installation kit they are about the same as D44 gears. That's if there is a Jag set in the ratio you want.

Try Coventry West (http://www.coventrywest.com/), www.jagoutlet.com, and www.jagbits.com. I bought a lot of my rebuild parts from Jag Outlet. Good prices, but you'll have to e-mail wiht what you need. None of the sites have gears listed, so e-mail them. Since you mentioned the company that the gears came from in your previous post, contact them. They may have an installation kit as well.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.