Jake's AOD :D - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2008, 10:05 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Jake's AOD :D

I recently did an AOD trans for my Dad's '66 Mustang.
It has worked pretty good overall. Lots of internal upgrades, Lentech VB with electric OD feature, diode sprag, wide band, A servo, etc.

However the 1-2 shift at WOT has been harder than I normally build into a trans because I didn't do the VB mods and I'm pretty new to the AOD.

I picked up the car today to bring it over to the shop to do some exhaust work and diagnose a 2nd gear takeoff issue with the trans (governor problem).

I saved myself the time of having to remove the driveshaft the normal way

Oops! new u-joints (albeit small ones) freshly balanced driveshaft, etc but a few WOT 1-2's did this one in.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Quote:
I saved myself the time of having to remove the driveshaft the normal way
Whoa. I guess you did...

That U-joint just snapped clean off! Please tell us the brand/series of that u-joint. I do not want to lose a d-shaft again. I had a similar failure a few years back. I cringe every time I think about it.

You may consider some non-greasable joints for the next try. They aren't hollow.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:39 PM

Last photo:

The car will go back together with larger joints. There were two different size on the '66 Fords and this car had the little ones.

Ther joint was either a Spicer or Neapco, my local driveshaft shop uses both depending on availability,

I'm not sure the non-greasable joints are available in the smaller size.

Part of the problem is the AOD just shifts too hard to 2nd. It's a Lentech VB and I put the 4R70W drum with diode sprag, 4 clutch int pack, larger OD servo, wide OD band, Alto Red direct clutches, etc. Nice little AOD for my first AOD build. Very happy with it except the Lentech VB just shifts to hard at WOT to 2nd.
My Dad did a WOT run a couple of days ago and he said it wheelhopped twice on the 1-2 shift on his run and he suspects he may have injured the joint and I finished it off.
Notice the cut brake line...
It took that out when it came loose also. I immediately let off, shifted to neutral and hit the brakes, but no brakes.
So I grabbed the e-brake and used it to stop the car. Interesting ride.
I was too busy to look over and see what my 8 yr old son was thinking about all the commotion
Old 11-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Yeah I saw the brake line... Yeaaa. And right beside it, a fuel line?

Had it all under control huh?

What's the practical limit for the center direct shaft? (3&4) Are you pushing big power in the Mustang?

I wish Ford had a non-electric 4R70w. Any AOD I heard of is a little weak in the knees. Sounds like you used some good parts in your Dad's though.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:58 PM

Last photo:

I used the good parts from the 4R70W.

In all reality, knowing what I know now I would probably build a 4R70 and use the Bauman controller.
The 4R70W is cheaper to build stronger because it already has the good drum, servo, band, etc, just needs minor mods for the valve body and a controller.

By the time you spend the $$ on a good VB for the AOD, you are near the price of a controller, not counting the cost of the 4R70 parts.

However the AOD with a non-lockup converter ties the inptu shafts together ( as I understand it) and it takes some of the load off the inner shaft so you can put more power through it.
I'm borderline at about 400-450 hp at the motor on this thing.
I built a 347 stroker for it and the AOD, 3.89 gears in an 8" with posi that I got from Quick Performance, and it's getting a 3" exhaust today as well as a new driveshaft, pinion yoke, slip yoke tomorrow

It's pretty zippy. The last time I drove it it still had a 2.80 non-posi in it and you could run it in 1st all the way up the entrance ramp I broke it on. Yesterday I broke it and coasted to the end of the ramp. It goes through 1st much quicker

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.