Jammed torque converter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013, 06:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Jammed torque converter

Ok, long story short: my Nova has a 383 abc and a th350. There was a knocking noise in the rear bottom end but I have great oil pressure and the motor runs strong. I wanted to rule out an issue with the torque converter/flex plate. Following the suggestion of someone on another forum, I disconnected the torque converter from the flex plate and pulled it back so the motor could run on its own and see if the knocking noise went away or not. Well, when the motor fired up, it appears that the torque converter vibrated forward and is now jammed up against the flex plate. It rotates with the motor but I can't get it pulled back and I can't turn it by itself to realign bolt holes with the flex plate. The impatient part of me wants to drop the trans in gear and see if the torque converter dislodges but I'm pretty sure that would be a bad idea. Has anyone got any ideas? I know I could 'just' pull the transmission but I'm trying to avoid that if possible. The car was drive able before my little diagnostic session and now it's not

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 06:49 PM

I would think that the torque convertor might be damaged by it being jammed up and wouldn't be able to be pushed back. If you pull the tranny back, you may have to replace the torque convertor. You may have to replace flex plate also. Don't forget to always to replace the front seal. There could be other damage, such as stator shaft.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:54 PM

Sorry, I forgot. DON'T START IS UP. You don't need more problems. Pull the tranny, its safer.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:54 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the reply! So are you saying that you believe there was something wrong with the torque converter which caused it to get jammed, or the fact that it slid up and jammed caused the damage? I didn't hear or feel anything out of the ordinary when I started the car.

Thanks again!
Chris
Old 04-10-2013, 08:27 PM

You may of not heard anything.
but if that came forward against the flex plate while motor was running, is possible it was not lined up right and bound up the torque convertor on the shaft or tub and its not going to go back. What ever is damaged is holding it back. I would think that your going to have to pull it back far enough to full the convertor clear out. The damage may be in the convertor and can't be seen unless you know what your looking for. Its going to be better to pull it and make sure at this point before you just take a chance and do more damage. Its not fun. I've got to pull mine back to put in a larger stall convertor, and i'm sure i'm a few years older than you. 66
Old 04-10-2013, 08:30 PM

Good luck on your 74. Mines a 77 concours hatchback

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.