Javelin will not start? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2005, 11:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Javelin will not start?

I have a 1973 Javelin with a 232 6 cylinder engine, manual transmission, standard, no tilt steering column. Primary ignition uses a resistance wire. Stock ignition with points and condenser.

All of a sudden when you turn the ignition switch to the "on" position the dash lights no longer come on. The starter turns over fine, the engine acts like it is going to start, but when you let off on the ignition switch to the run position, the car dies right away.

Anyone know what causes this? Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2005, 06:51 AM

Last photo:

I would check the ballast resistor first.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:18 PM

Last photo:

Problem is intermitant now

I have checked everything and all seams to be well. Just tinkering around with it I got the car started but it will only run a few minutes, the alternator light will come on for a second, the engine starts to die, the alternator light goes out and the engine runs fine again. I tried tapping the wire conections and wires to check for a loose connection while the engine is running but nothing happened.

Can anyone give me an idea of what is going on here. Could something breaking down inside the alternator cause this?
Old 07-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Not fast, but loud as hell

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodMan
All of a sudden when you turn the ignition switch to the "on" position the dash lights no longer come on. The starter turns over fine, the engine acts like it is going to start, but when you let off on the ignition switch to the run position, the car dies right away..
Sounds like something similar to what was happening with my cadillac. The starter turns fine and it begins to fire up, but then it dies when you let off the ignition to the run position. My ignition switch was shot. I took about 1hr and re-wired it and everything worked fine. Check the switch. Loose connection maybe? I dont know, I'm still learning. Wait for Doc.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:10 AM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

I have a 1969 rambler, the wiring is very similar to your Javelin. It uses a ford solenoid. Since the engine will fire & run with the ignition key to start, solenoid is fine. Also shows the associated wiring to the starter, points, and coil is fine. Since when you let go of the key, the engine dies, you most likely have bad ignition switch. The dash lights (I'm assuming you mean the dummy lights) are run through the ignition switch as well, further pointing to your ignition switch. The slide contacts often become brittle with age and eventually break off.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:39 PM

Last photo:

Problem gets worse

OK, I have replaced the ignition switch, found a corroded connection 6 inches from the solenoid, discovered the two wires going into the back of the alternator were loose. Fixed all I could find wrong, the car worked great for a few days after that, (thought I had fixed it) and then suddenly now when I turn the the ignition switch to the on and start positions I get nothing. The lights on the dash do not light up, and the starter does not turn. Any ideas?
Old 08-16-2005, 11:57 PM

Last photo:

Found the problem

After two weeks of checking all the wires and ignition switch I found the problem. Everything checked out OK separately, but then the car would not start. It turns out the main feed line from the battery to the ignition switch (red) had vibrated its way out of the plastic harness that plugs into the ignition switch. I pushed it in about an eighth of an inch and the car works perfectly again. I just happened to notice that wire was sticking out an little further than the rest of the wires. That whole unit is tucked up under the dash so far you can hardly see it.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:52 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

Isn't it always the simplest things that will drive you nuts?

Glad to hear you found it and thanks for letting us know the solution!

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.