Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - JB weld as body filler ?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 08:24 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,230 Times in 1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwater View Post
After using J B weld on the back glass channel I painted all the way around the channel with epoxy primer with a small paint brush. I did that because it looks like water can seep between the glass an the trim an stand in the channel, being J B weld is non-hygroscopic it seem to be the best protection from more damage. I did the same thing on the t-top channels as they were pitted also. Just wanted to be sure of having a good seal.
We all have ideas that can be of value, but you have realize that there are many people on this forum who have done this stuff as a living for decades and every one of them would say do not do what you are doing. You may think it's the cats meow but JB weld is NOT the product to use there. It may "work" with the way you have described if the metal was cleaned properly before it's applied but it is MUCH harder to work with and MUCH more expensive than products made for such a purpose.

In your description it sounds like you left the glass in there, please tell me you pulled the glass out to do those repairs. And what is the make model and year of the car you are working on. Many cars for years thru the sixties, seventies and eighties had a urethane bedded glass with a chrome moulding over the top. That chrome moulding did more than allow some water to "seep" in. The moulding does NOTHING to keep water out and it is in fact designed for the water to go right in there with no fight at all.

Brian