Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - JB weld as body filler ?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,137 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwater View Post
Yes,glass is out. 78 Camaro Z28 w/t-tops. When I bought this car it had been sitting under a larger oak tree for about 4 years. When it would rain all that water would continue to fall on the car from the tree. I did have to patch in some steel in the channel about 10 in. long. Had pitting on both sides of where water worked it way between the channel an sealant.
One thing you shouldn't do is put ANY filler down on the pinch weld where the urethane bed is applied to bond the glass in. That metal should be sand blasted, epoxy primed and NOT painted. You want the window to be held in by the urethane and epoxy primer not bc/cc or bondo or jb weld.

And believe me, EVERY one of those sixties and seventies GM cars has had rust in the window channels front and rear. Heck, back 20 years ago I did a LOT of them and they were a lot newer than they are now, they were STILL rusted in those channels every time. It was a horrible design with the channels getting filled up with water and no where to go. On a 64 Riv once I made drains out of brake tubing in the corners and ran a rubber hose out the bottom of the quarter panel, worked pretty neat.

Brian