Hot Rod Forum banner

JDBB turned near high gloss?

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  crashtech 
#1 ·
i recently painted a truck bed with JDBB with JD thinner and the recommended hardener at 8:1:1. and it turned out glossy. what went wrong? i had the paint stirred, no sludge in the bottom of the can so all the flattening agent was mixed. is the hardener the cause? should i mix it at 6:1:1 instead or not use any hardener at all? and without hardener will the paint hold up as well?

#2 ·
Just picked up a quart of JDBB yesterday and my local dealer said he didn't stock the hardener because of too many complaints from customers. According to him the customers who have used it say it makes the paint dry way too fast. What effect that has I don't know.

Instructions on the can say to mix it 10 to 1 (paint to thinner) before spraying and the dealer said to mix the thinner in slowly as putting it all in at once can cause fish-eyes.

Are you sure the can you used said Blitz Black? JD does have a gloss black in the same kind of can. Also remember Blitz Black is not a flat color its a semi gloss so it will have some sheen to it.

#3 · (Edited)
i know i once painted an old hood with rustoleum flat black with a valspar hardener mixed in. it turned out almost a gloss, about what i have now. done semi gloss and satin the same way with the same hardener. they all turned out the same. im just wondering if the JD hardener is the reason and will the JDBB paint hold up with out it.?

#4 ·
here are some pics of how it turned out. looks too shiny for what its supposed to i think compared to other pics ive seen. unless it is supposed to look like this then im ok with it, i just want to make sure im not doing anything wrong. overlook the severe orange peel, im gonna reshoot it with a siphon type spray gun.

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
Looks right to me. A lot of the pics you see aren't really JDBB they're BC/CC or SS with a flattening agent added. The whole reason Blitz Black was used by early hot rodders was that it looked a lot like aged original Ford black paint. What you have there looks to me just like JDBB should look.

Here's a picture of a door done in JDBB. Looks a lot like your bed.

#7 ·
Low spray temps will increase gloss in flattened paints. Slow reducer has the same effect. Longer flash times result in increased gloss. Because of the way environmental conditions can affect gloss levels, it's best to spray all adjacent panels simultaneously. Low temps can call for slight over-reduction with fast reducer to decrease flash time, and heavy coats should be avoided.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.