Jeep 327 AMC - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2006, 06:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Jeep 327 AMC

I currently have a Jeep 327 AMC 3 speed manual, I reciently purchased a turbo 400/dana 20 transfer case out of a 1967 jeep wagoneer (also 327 AMC) to replace it.

I tried to install the flywheel and it hits the engine block. Im wondering if there should have been a 1 inch spacer because the old flywheel bolts are 1/2 - 1 inch longer.

Does anyone know?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2006, 01:28 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Yes, there is a spacer. The TH-400 behind the AMC 327 (GEN-1 AMC V-8) is a "universal" TH-400 pattern. That's the Buick "Nail Head" pattern. This was sold to others because the Nail Head has a deep flange on the back of the block, which meant the bell housing didn't need to be as deep as other GM engines. The shallower bell leaves more room for an adapter. Early GEN-2 AMC V-8s in Jeeps also used an adapter, but later models (74 or so through 79, last year of the TH-400 in Jeeps -- Chrysler 727 1980 on) have a cast for AMC case. All that use the adapter have a spacer. It's just a metal ring IIRC, so you should be able to have one made. I believe 1/2" thickness is correct, should be the same as the adapter thickness (might be 3/8"). Novak or Advance Adapters may have the spacers, or you can have one made. Just make sure the converter seats in the transmission far enough and the starter will engage the ring gear.

Check some Jeep sites, such as the Tech section at http://www.ifsja.org/.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:31 AM

Last photo:

Some of these old Jeeps had 327 chevy engines (the good ones ), and most of these were the 300hp versions with 462&461 cammel hump heads.
Is the 327 in your jeep a chev design or an actual AMC 327?
Old 06-28-2006, 04:04 PM

farna, Thanks for the info. Now I have a place to start.

baddbob, it is the AMC 327 Vigilante and it hasn't given me any problems
Old 06-30-2006, 11:00 PM

Baddbob, you are truly bad! NO Jeep EVER came with a Chevy V-8. The only 327 was the AMC 327, purchased by Kaiser Jeep Corporation from AMC, 1965-68. AMC stopped using the 327 (GEN-1 AMC V-8) after 1966, but kept production up for warranty work, Jeep, and Gray Marine (they used them in an inboard marine conversion). Instead of buying more AMC V-8s Kaiser Jeep bought Buick 350s for 1969 and 1970. This is rather ironic -- AMC bought Kaiser Jeep in the middle of 1970. They used up the remaining stock of Buick V-8s then substituted AMC engines. The V-6 was used through part of 1971 in a special model Jeep -- the first Renegade IIRC. Buick had sold the V-6 tooling to Kaiser Jeep around 66 or so. Since AMC was no longer using the V-6, Buick bought the tooling back rather than reinvent the wheel. It was reported that Buick practically gave the tooling to Jeep, but AMC got a good penny selling it back.

Jeeps have used a couple GM engines. AMC didn't make a four cylinder, and they stopped using the old F-head 134 after 1971, substituting the AMC in-line six. AMC didn't have the money to develop a four in short order, and the Audi 2.0L four they started purchasing in 1977 (with plans to produce --they did assemble the engines over here, but major components were made in Germany) just wasn't torquey enough for the Jeep or then current batch of cars. While they turned to developing an engine, the GM 2.5L four was purchased from 1980-83 as a stop-gap measure. The AMC 2.5L came out in 1984 along with the down-sized XJ Cherokee.

I've been told that one of the designers of the XJ didn't like the AMC in-line six, and specifically designed the engine bay to short. AMC bought the GM 2.8L V-6 from 84-86 so that a six cylinder option was available. It was hardly worth getting over the AMC four though. In 87 AMC/Jeep redesigned the XJ firewall (it has a 1-2" recess) and their in-line six (larger bore, shorter stroke, serpentine belt to make it shorter, new port design for the head, and EFI) so it would fit. Turned out to be the best thing they ever did! The 4.0L in-line six is arguably the best engine ever made by AMC/Jeep, and is definitely one of them!

Check out http://www.jeeptech.com/engine/
Old 04-27-2010, 12:32 PM

wow farna you really know your stuff i just recently started getting into jeeps (old ones, i dont like the new ones). If i have any questions about a jeep im coming to you.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:36 PM

i am a huge fan of jeep wagoneers (even though i dont know a whole lot about them) and i am looking to buy one in the when i finally save up. Is there any special year of wagoneer such as one that is more reliable or more powerful than other years i should keep an eye for??
Old 04-27-2010, 04:03 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Wagoneer's could be had with the 401 until the 1979 model year. after that the 360 was used... essentially, the Wagoneer stayed the same until it was discontinued in 1991. also they were the last American vehicle with a carburated engine...

it's probably going to be easier to find a Chrysler jeep Wagoneer than it will be finding an AMC Jeep Wagoneer.. there the same thing except the AMC's are now at least 22 years old and lots of those 401's have been harvested for other things
Old 05-01-2010, 12:51 AM

jeep engines

The dauntless 225 buick design is also a great Jeep engine. Did you know Jeep actually used a Gm 153 4 cyl and GM powerglide in the DJ series in 1969.
I have one, built by Kaiser with the Chevy 4 cyl, Glide and Dana 44 rear.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:01 AM

I'm not as up on the DJs and pre AMC Jeeps (except for some on the big ones), but I did know that Kaiser Jeep stopped making the old F-head four (intake valve overhead, exhaust valve in block) sometime in the mid to late 60s, and the Chevy four was substituted in the mail Jeep and small van. AMC continued using the Chevy four until they started building their own, switched to the 2.5L "Iron Duke" later, not sure when though... probably shortly after it came out.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.