Jeg's poor performance - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2004, 11:38 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Jeg's poor performance

I had troubles with Jeg's. I had a big order. I needed a Sealed Power ring set for a .020" over Chevy 400. That should have been easy for them. 4.125" + .020" = 4.145". I told them 4.145" also. I got all of my parts a week later, with the rings on backorder. A month later I called up and asked, "Where are my rings?". They said it could be a couple more weeks. They said part # blah blah is still on backorder. I asked the sales person just to be sure, "That is for a Chevy 400 .020, 4.145"" over right?". The sales person said, "No those are for a 4.020" bore". I canceled the order right then and called Summit. My rings arrived 3 days later.

About a week went by and I started reassembling my engine. I ordered a 1 piece oil pan gasket also with the original Jeg's order. I told them, "left hand dipstick, thick front seal". I hadn't checked when it arrived. Guess what, it was a thin seal.

I have ordered from Jeg's before and had many problems. This was their last chance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2004, 11:51 PM
Evil as I wanna Be

Last journal entry: First time out in 8 months!
Last photo:

I ordered the lug nuts for my Weld Pro Stars from them. They send me 4 bags instead of 5, and two of the bags are missing the washers. I called and complained, and got my washers 2 weeks later (they're a two hour drive from me). I haven't bothered with them since.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:42 AM

Last photo:

There is an Auto Zone a block from my house. There is a Kragen's three blocks from my house. I only go to Kragen's. That says it all.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:44 AM
CORNFED and INBRED !?!

That is a shame to hear about! Back in the early days ( when they mostly did race car chassis), Old Jeg was an easy man to deal with, no matter if you were nickel and dime (me) or dropping large money, he went out of his way to make things right! I guess that is what progress does to some companies!
Old 01-04-2004, 12:48 AM

Last photo:

Companies don't care about customer service any more these days. Especially the high volume ones. Just ask their phone trees if you don't believe me.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:06 AM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

1 year ago I ordered some Ford 302 rods from them with some other parts, a week went by, I received my other parts but not the rods. I called them and asked them were are they and they said on back order. I waited for another two weeks and called them and they said they were still on back order. I told them to send my money back and they wanted to charge me a restocking fee for parts I never received. I got a little pissed about this and started to chew out the salesperson, he transferred me to a supervisor who took care of this. I recieved my money back plus Jegs gave me a $20 gift Certificate. I shouldn't have chewed out this poor salesman he was just doing his job, but the restocking fee made me pretty mad. I have ordered from them since and they haven't messed anything up yet, they even gave me a call to see if I was satisfied with my order last time I ordered from them.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:03 PM

Last photo:

Jegs

i have ordered form JEGS in the past. i must agree they made MORE mistakes than the other parts houses. i havent ordered from them in over a year. why ? cause my last order was all FORD parts , 2 items were incorrect....both were GM parts !!!!
to my surprise, i was given a small amount of crap when i called to correct the order. now jegs is on the bottom of my list when parts are needed.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:45 PM

Last photo:

man, r u guys using the same Jeg's I am? I couldn't ask for any better service. Ordered my motor last Thursday, got it this Thursday, ordered a box of parts Tuesday and they game in today, no problems at all other that 1 item on back order.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:19 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I've used both Jegs and Summit many times and never had a problem,
Lately I have ordered parts fron OPGI ( origional parts group) they are way over priced on their parts, and charge way more for freight, plus adding on a insurance and handling , + insurance of 7.00
A speedo cable for a 69 pontiac that I could have ordered fron NAPA for 16.00 ended up costing me over 70$ by the time they tacked on all their little un told sur-charges,
they won't get anymore of my business,
Old 07-21-2012, 08:30 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

I used to be a loyal Jegs customer and spent a lot of money with them. However it seems nowadays I am buying the bulk of my mail order parts from Summit, they routinely kick Jegs butt, both on and off the track.

Summit's website is also much easier to navigate through.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Never used JEGS. Summit has been good so far.
OPGI was pretty good for me. I ordered front bucket seat upholstery from them. Got it fast. When I put it together I noticed both seat backs were missing the lsiting. Called them up. They picked it up, fixed it, sent it back, no charge ( the way it should be) took about 3 weeks total. Kinda a long time but I was in no hurry being in the middle of construction here anyhow.
Parts stores are all the same. Mostly depends on the guy behind the counter more than anything else.
I have 4 parts guys I Know i can trust, 2 with advanced and 2 at Napa
I deal with 6 automotive dealerships from time to time, and they all have one guy that is the man.The rest are just warm bodys.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

"AC" customer tech

if it hadn't been for this guy I probably would have bought my motor from Summits. I was seeking some info about the inline and staggered starter bolt holes, the tech I got "AC" didn't know. I went surfing for the info and found what I needed and sent him a copy, I thought he might be appreciative of the info, I guess not, he told me I had "Issues" with the starter setups
Old 07-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Even so this thread is 8 years old, I can say I've used both without any issues but mostly I use Summit. However I have said many times Summit has the worst techies out of any company I ever delt with. Everytime I get a new summit catalog I go straight to "ask professor overdrive" just so I can laugh at the wrong answers they give.
The only problem I've had with Summit is on a couple of occasions they got my order wrong and in both cases, even so they were at fault, they just about refused to take the given parts back, even so they say they'll make it right without any issue. And afterwards when they finally agree to take the parts back and ship the correct ones they expected me to pay return shipping. The first time it happened I delt with them myself, the second time I tried again and wasn't getting anywhere. My girlfriend at the time asked if she could handle it, and I said go ahead. After about 10 minutes the guy called me back and said he would swap it and they would pay return shipping. So I knew then the next time it happened to just let my girlfriend deal with them. It hasn't happened again, but that's a good thing cause she's not my girl anymore.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:38 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Ordered a bunch of engine parts from jegs, order was perfect but seemed a little slow.
Ordered a much simpler order from summit, took almost as long except i didnt get my carb. Had to call and found out it was on back order (in stock when i placed the order). Took 3 weeks to get it.
So i'm nit sure who i'd prefer now. Guess whoever has the better price shipped.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:03 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Ancient thread!!!

Jegs seems to cater primarily to the Chebbie crowd, which is fine but puts them at the same level as many other suppliers selling the same parts - so purchase where it's cheaper or might have better customer service, especially since with computers you have those choices. While 10 minutes with the Summit on line catalog I can find almost any of the normal speed parts for any other usually modified engine as well as even most of the regular maintenance items tho those appear to be at inflated prices vs. Rock Auto Parts. Jegs on-line catalog is terrible vs Summit and their shipping is always a couple days slower. Both of their tech lines are poor. Do your homework first, then order. The guys either outfit hires are like you and me - they don't/can't know everything about every engine and have to use their reference manuals too. Never had a problem with returns at Summit - my fault, I pay, theirs(twice, maybe), they have always paid.

Tags
jeg's, online parts shopping

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.