Jerico Transmission question... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 07:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Jerico Transmission question...

I have a 4 speed Jerico tranny in my car, it was in there when I got it so I dont know which model but Im assuming it is set up for road racing. The problem is, I can NOT drive the damn car..I stalled out like 8 times just cruising around the block..

Are there any tips to drive this thing?? Im thinking of dumping it and going with a 5 speed a little more street friendly..Anyone have a tranny and clutch recommendation? Im putting it behind a ********* 389 Stroker..About 600hp.

Also if i decide to sell the Jerico, what should I ask for it?

Advertisement

Last edited by 68NovaSS; 04-11-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 12:36 AM

Last photo:

What rear end gear is in the car? You also are going to need to know what the gear ratios are in the tranny, that is going to be the determining factor on what its worth. If it has some funky road race gear spread in it, its going to narrow the list of how many people would want it or be able to use it in other applications.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Can't see how it would behave that much differently than a regular manual even if it was a dog box. The roadrace sliders allow you to downshift and stay in gear whereas the drag sliders will tend to freewheel when coasting. Post up the rear gear and box spreads as posted above...

Russ
Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 AM

Last photo:

Describe what kind of clutch/flywheel is in the car.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:00 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC-Dude View Post
What rear end gear is in the car? You also are going to need to know what the gear ratios are in the tranny, that is going to be the determining factor on what its worth. If it has some funky road race gear spread in it, its going to narrow the list of how many people would want it or be able to use it in other applications.
The rear in the car is a 308. The tranny I would have no clue What tranny would be a good street tranny that can handle some power, but is actually drivable??
Old 04-09-2013, 09:03 AM

Last photo:

The Jericos I have are stamped with the gear ratios, on the topside of the main case at the bellhousing end.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmsport View Post
Describe what kind of clutch/flywheel is in the car.
Not sure on the brand but is sounds like a multi disc the way it chatters when the clutch is released at idle. And the flywheel feels super lightweight, cause it revs like a damn motorcycle. Im assuming a heavier flywheel and clutch combo would be easier to drive on the street??
Old 04-09-2013, 09:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
The Jericos I have are stamped with the gear ratios, on the topside of the main case at the bellhousing end.
Top side as in the side I would not be able to see while it is installed in the car? so much for that plan...lol
Old 04-09-2013, 09:14 AM

Last photo:

A super light clutch/flywheel and a 3.08 gear is not going to be effortless to drive the street no matter the gears in the trans.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
A super light clutch/flywheel and a 3.08 gear is not going to be effortless to drive the street no matter the gears in the trans.
DO you think swapping out the clutch and flywheel would be a solution to make it more streetable? If so what would you reccomend for it? Im leaning towards replacing the whole tranny and flywheel set up but if I could get away with just the flywheel and clutch I would keep the Jerico if it was the "least" bit streetable..
Old 04-09-2013, 09:36 AM

Last photo:

you need a street clutch and a 2.88 T-10 or a 2.98 Muncie-style 4spd If you want to drive this on the street. If that is a road race jerico, the 1st gear is only a pit gear anyway, all your racing is done in 2,3,4. With that axle ratio they're probably in the 150mph range on longer courses in this car.

We support the SCCA A-Sedan series with a spec gearbox. There are Jerico's, TKO's ST-10s, our Muncie-esque 4spd and a couple guys running T-5s.

For racing you'll see guys with 3.08s, 3.23s rears and 2.56 or 2.20 1st gears in the 4speeds . But, its not street friendly for most people.

If this is a street application; either go to a 2.88 T10, 2.98 'Muncie' or a 5spd like a TKO and never use the overdrive since you have 3.08s.

The other option is to jack the axle ratio up to suit the gearbox better. Probably something like a 3.73:1.

Start at the beginning; find out which ratio Jerico you inherited and then we can advise on a clutch/trans or axle combo to suit your budget and needs
Old 04-09-2013, 09:46 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
you need a street clutch and a 2.88 T-10 or a 2.98 Muncie-style 4spd If you want to drive this on the street. If that is a road race jerico, the 1st gear is only a pit gear anyway, all your racing is done in 2,3,4. With that axle ratio they're probably in the 150mph range on longer courses in this car.

We support the SCCA A-Sedan series with a spec gearbox. There are Jerico's, TKO's ST-10s, our Muncie-esque 4spd and a couple guys running T-5s.

For racing you'll see guys with 3.08s, 3.23s rears and 2.56 or 2.20 1st gears in the 4speeds . But, its not street friendly for most people.

If this is a street application; either go to a 2.88 T10, 2.98 'Muncie' or a 5spd like a TKO and never use the overdrive since you have 3.08s.

The other option is to jack the axle ratio up to suit the gearbox better. Probably something like a 3.73:1.

Start at the beginning; find out which ratio Jerico you inherited and then we can advise on a clutch/trans or axle combo to suit your budget and needs
Alrighty then..Any illustrations to where the tranny is stamped exactly??
Old 04-10-2013, 06:32 AM

why not trade your complete race car for a complete street car that suits you?start taking out matching race pieces and adding street pieces the car will less good at what it does all for a cost that wont get recooped.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Hmm, I've got a DR4 box and there is nothing stamped there on it. Mine box has a 3.08 1st gear to be paired with a 3.25 rear axle, Spec stage III clutch, and an aluminum flywheel. This will all go in a lightweight, high torque street combination. In your case, I can "feel" several potential problem areas. Car weight (?), clutch/flywheel (?), gearing (?) and lack of low-end torque.

Russ
Old 04-10-2013, 10:37 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN View Post
Hmm, I've got a DR4 box and there is nothing stamped there on it. Mine box has a 3.08 1st gear to be paired with a 3.25 rear axle, Spec stage III clutch, and an aluminum flywheel. This will all go in a lightweight, high torque street combination. In your case, I can "feel" several potential problem areas. Car weight (?), clutch/flywheel (?), gearing (?) and lack of low-end torque.

Russ
I have a two, three and a couple four speeds, all with the ratios stamped on the case. I think all mine came from Hightower, so maybe he stamps them and Jerico does not. Sorry for the confusion.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.