Jeweling - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2003, 02:28 PM
British Style with USA Muscle

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Jeweling

A buddy wants do do some jeweling, anyone have a good method for doing jeweling on steel?

Regards
Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2003, 07:23 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

Duh ... umm ... whats "jeweling," Mark?

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 08-12-2003, 08:43 PM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

I wanted to ask the same thing, but i felt stupid thinking maybe I was missing something obvious.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:54 PM
British Style with USA Muscle

Last photo:

Notice the bolt on the rifle here in this photo. They used to do this do dash boards in the 20's and 30's I was thinking of doing some of the metal areas on my interior like this plus a buddy wants to do his steel snare drum in that finish

Regards
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1ingunm77.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	162  
Old 08-12-2003, 09:29 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

Oh yeah. Now I get it.

I always thought that was done with a round, steel brush, on a dremel or drill ... done by hand ... one circle at a time. You can see how each circle overlaps the other.

Obviously, it would take an artist's hand and a lot of time, but if you just did that to a sheet of aluminum I think you'd have it. Whether it's a stiff steel brush, or a softer brass brush, or a solid steel bit ... I don't know. But it's got to be something along those lines, eh?

If I had a shop, I'd be out there right now, making some tests.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 08-12-2003, 10:36 PM

Last photo:

i used to work in a fab shop building stainless steel kichen equipment for restorants. the finisher did that with a regular grinder and a 80 grit pad. i'm sure it takes some experiance, but hey thats how he did it.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:47 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

After going back and reading what your bud wanted to do it to I had to edit this. Doing drums would be WAY time consuming. Why not look into some of these places and put holographic material over the drum set. It looks like it would be cheaper to go this route but that's my $.02. http://www.ssksign.com/Holographic_Vinyl2.htm

http://www.signsupplyofkentucky.com/...hic_vinyl2.htm

This looks like something along the lines of actual jeweling

http://www.motorsportsgraphics.com/h...phiccolors.htm

Another sample in color

http://www.signsupplystore.com/holographic.asp

http://www.kentuckysignsupplies.com/catalog.htm

Hope some of this helps you out.

Kevin

Last edited by Kevin45; 08-13-2003 at 04:30 AM.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:29 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

eastwood co. sells the abrasive rolls you can chuck up in your drill for that.............
Old 08-13-2003, 10:30 AM

Last photo:

Engine Turning

That look is called engine turned.

There have been articles written about how to do it. If you have a drill press you can set up a gate. Place a dowl in the drill and some fine abrasive on the sheet of material. Touch the dowl to the metal then lift. Move sheet metal along the gate. Space accordinging to look you want. Do a row then set the gate to overlap the next row and do it again.

I have heard of people using abrasive erasers or sand paper on the end of the dowl.

I have not personally done this but it seems to make sense. In any case hope this helps.

Also: There are companies that make aluminum laminates with that pattern. Aluminum laminate is like formica but it is metal.

Good Luck
Old 08-13-2003, 03:34 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

evltwin....the proper name for it is called jeweling even though most call it engine turned metal. Do a search on engine turned metal and see what you come up with. Engine turned metal is the terminology for decorative artwork on cylindrical metal using a spring loaded type of lathe so the cutting tool moves back and forth. But to do the jeweling (or commonly called engine turning) on something the size of a drum would be way too time consuming. You would have to have one steady hand to do something like that and it would take hours upon hours. The cheapest I have seen on some guns runs a minimum of $35.00 just for a small cylinder. And doing something round you really would have to have a way to hold everything straight plus the ability to rotate in small increments to hold a uniform pattern. You get off the pattern just a little and it would stick out something terrible.

Kevin
Old 08-14-2003, 06:07 AM

Last photo:

I did a search you are right.

Found this qoute "We call this finishing "pearling" or "perlage". In the gunsmith trade it is called "jeweling""

After reading this post I saw an article in Street Rodder Sept 2003. Someone wrote to Ron Covell for information on how to do engine turning. Might be on Street Rodders website.

He thought Cratex Company made an abrasive-impregnated rubber tool. www.cratex.com (I have never used them)

I think that if you wanted to do a drum you could Jewel a flat sheet (or buy the laminate) and laminate the metal to the drum.

Chemetal makes a laminate #406 Circles Aluminum. The circles are approx 2". It is the large pattern. The laminate is all metal with no phenelic backer.

Not to sure if this would effect the sound quality?

Last edited by evltwin; 08-14-2003 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Scotchbrite discs on a rubber backed spindle is the easiest and fastest way to do it I have tried, of course your stuck with the sizes of discs they sell but it is super fast with the coarse grit.

Here's an example of what they look like.

Since the Scotchbrite pad doesn't dig in like sandpaper you can easily do it with both hands on the die grinder/drill and doing curves is possible by rocking the grinder. A little WD 40 on the pad will make the results very shiny and make it easier to hold the grinder/drill in position by reducing friction.

I use a drill mostly since a die grinder works kinda fast for my unsteady hands. A pneumatic drill is ideal because the speed is low but has lots of torque available so you can really lean on it.

First thing you need to make to give perfect results every time is a tube that you can hold in position so that the Scotchbrite disc is inside and can't wander out of position, I make them out of Nylon so the guide tube doesn't scratch the metal surface and I make the diameter a nice size to hold in your hand, make a couple since the tube will wear out as you use it. After you have that made, the rest is just labor and careful alignment.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.