Jiffy lube rant: what would you do? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Jiffy lube rant: what would you do?

So I just got a call from my girlfriend in Atlanta. SHe went to Jiffy lube to get her oil changed in her '03 civic. THe required oil for this car, as noted by all service manuals and actually printed RIGHT ON THE OIL FILL CAP is 5w20 oil.

So she gets home, looks at her receipt and it says 5w30 oil she was charged for. I tell her to go back to the shop and demand a new oil change. I'm on the phone with her and immediately this lazy jerk starts arguing with her about the service. "we know we put 5w20 in" I tell her, it doesn't make two spits and half a fart's difference what they know, you're the one making the car payment, you're the one who needs to be sure. THey need to change that oil AND THE FILTER out. Finally he agrees to change the oil, but not the filter. They go back and forth for a minute and I tell her, screw it, get the higher-up's name and phone number, I'll talk to him myself. Well customer service is down on the weekends (no customer service even though their shops are open to make money. Great).

Furthermore, it turns out that there's a price difference btw 5w20 and 5w30. THe 20 weight is actually MORE expensive. I kept telling her, why is this guy running a shop going to charge you for the cheaper oil?! Just because he feels like being nice?

So I'm going down to ATL in a week (lol, not just for this, I was planning on going). I'm going to talk to customer service this week. I'm going to ask them what they're going to do if I take a sample of that oil out of the crank case and its the wrong kind.

I AM LIVID.

K

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2006, 02:53 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerformula

I AM LIVID.

K
1.) CALM down! It's not worth the stress.

2.) Understand that "Multigrade" or "Multi-Viscosity" are formulated so that they have a cold-pour viscosity ("thickness") at low temperatures while having the properties of a higher-viscosity oil at operating temperatures. That being said ... "5W" is your viscosity when cold, which the engineers are saying is equivalent to a straight-grade oil of 5. At operating temperature the two oils mentioned above have either a viscosity similar to that of either a 20 or 30 straight grade.

3.) I'd be a little more concerned with the "cold" viscosity, as many newer engines have been engineered to expect a low-viscosity oil at start-up. If the oil is too thick, it might pool at the top of the engine instead of returning to the pan ... possibly causing oil starvation. I think that the biggest reason for the 5W20 versus 5W30 is for gas mileage ... thinner oil at operating temperature = less "drag"

4.) Having explained the above, You probably could have "lived with" (IMHO)the 5w30 for one oil change.

5.) I think that the Jiffy Lube guy was trying to "work with you" on this by offering to replace the oil. The little bit of oil that is in the filter (about a cup-full?) would have a negligible effect.

6.)If it were me, I'd give him a call and tell him that you've calmed down and apologize. I'm sure that he would also apologize for MAKING A MISTAKE, and would do his best not to do it again.

"To err is human, to forgive is divine."
Old 02-12-2006, 03:01 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

hahahaha, man that's a flash back to when I use to work at a garage. We put 5w-30 in everything. I read an article somewhere that manufactures go with 5w20 just to gain some fraction improvement in fuel economy.

is that civic on a lease?
Old 02-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Yeah I figured that it was more about the fuel economy than anything else, but its not their motor to play around wiht its hers. And she came to the shop to get the right job done only to have it thrown back in her face like she was trying to get a free second job.

Service is service. Do it right or dont do it at all.

K
Old 02-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

We also put 10w30 in everything.
Do your self a favor and stay away from Jiffy Lube. Go to a mechanic for your oil changes. You are lucky they put any oil in at all. For a while a good portion of our business was fixing problems created buy quick oil change franchises.

They employ kids who are not mechanics at all and make a lot of mistakes.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Get your oil changed elsewhere next time. Don't waste your time and breath worrying about something as trivial as that. YOUR time is too valuable to waste it on the difference between 5w20 and 5w30. Yes, they should have put in the proper oil. If they didn't put the right stuff in, then yes, you shouldn't go back.

However,

I change oil for people (at least I used to), and if the manufacturer calls for 5w30, I very certainly use it in the colder winter months, but in the summer, because our weather here can be brutally hot, I use 10w30.

If their cars are old and worn out, I use 10w30. Most people leave that up to my discretion because they know I'm an engine builder and mechanic and they trust my judgement.

However, Jiffy lube is a different deal and I believe that you should have gotten your 5w20 if that's what you requested.

However, I would unwad my panties and focus my energy on something positive.

Brian
Old 02-12-2006, 03:17 PM

Last photo:

I work on Honda,s.I have never seen any damage from the wrong oil.The only time I have seen engine damage is from no oil or not changing it(Sludged up).
I would not worry about it.Enjoy your time with your girl,don,t let this ruin your trip.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:12 PM

Last photo:

Man! You've got a girlfriend that actually gets her cars oil changed...and then notices they put the wrong oil in...and then told you about it! How lucky are you! Forget the oil and put your energy into the girl!

Last edited by 73oldsman; 02-12-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

I would be more concerend with the drain plug Eric.Jiffy Lube requires that the only tool Kyle needs to change your oil is one pair of Vise-Grips for the drain plug,and a pair of Channel Locks for filter removal/installation.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Wherever you go, there you are

Last photo:

Oil change instructions (for men & women)

Oil Change Instructions for Men & Women (A Joke)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read to end!
Oil Change Instructions For Women
1. Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3,000 miles since the last oil change.
2. Drink a cup of coffee.
3. 15 minutes later write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.
Money Spent
Oil Change $20.00
Coffee $1.00
Total $21.00

Oil Change Instructions For Men
1. Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a check for $50.00.
2. Stop by 7 - 11 and buy a case of beer, write a check for $20.00, drive home.
3. Open a beer and drink it.
4. Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
5. Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.
6. In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
7. Place drain pan under engine.
8. Look for 9/16 box end wrench.
9. Give up and use crescent wrench.
10. Unscrew drain plug.
11. Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in process. Cuss.
12. Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms. Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.
13. Have another beer while watching oil drain.
14. Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.
15. Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.
16. Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer.
17. Buddy shows up; finish case of beer with him. Decide to finish oil change tomorrow so you can go see his new garage door opener.
18. Sunday: Skip church because, "I gotta finish the oil change." Drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car. Cleverly dump oil in hole in back yard instead of taking it back to O'Reilly to recycle.
19. Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during step 18.
20. Beer? No, drank it all yesterday.
21. Walk to 7-11; buy beer.
22. Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.
23. Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
24. Remember drain plug from step 11.
25. Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
26. Remember that the used oil is buried in a hole in the back yard, along with drain plug.
27. Drink beer.
28. Shovel out hole and sift oily mud for drain plug. Re-shovel oily dirt into hole. Steal sand from kids sandbox to cleverly cover oily patch of ground and avoid environmental penalties. Wash drain plug in lawnmower gas.
29. Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.
30. Drink beer.
31. Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame.
32. Bang head on floorboards in reaction to step 31.
33. Begin cussing fit.
34. Throw stupid crescent wrench.
35. Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit Miss December (1992) in the left boob.
36. Beer.
37. Clean up hands and forehead and bandage as required to stop blood flow.
38. Beer.
39. Beer.
40. Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
41. Beer.
42. Lower car from jack stands.
43. Accidentally crush remaining case of new motor oil.
44. Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during steps 23 - 43.
45. Beer.
46. Test drive car.
47. Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.
48. Car gets impounded .
49. Call loving wife, make bail.
50. 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.

Money Spent
Parts $50.00
DUI $2500.00
Impound fee $75.00
Bail $1500.00
Beer $40.00
Total $4165.00 -- But you know the job was done right!
Old 02-12-2006, 05:04 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCastle
I would be more concerend with the drain plug Eric.Jiffy Lube requires that the only tool Kyle needs to change your oil is one pair of Vise-Grips for the drain plug,and a pair of Channel Locks for filter removal/installation.

Are you forgetting to make sure the filter is tight??

In a while, Chet.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73oldsman
Man! You've got a girlfriend that actually gets her car's oil changed...and then notices they put the wrong oil in...and then told you about it! How lucky are you! Forget the oil and put your energy into the girl!

73oldsman is right

Mustangsaly
Old 02-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I guess you're right in a sense, I'll probably just let it slide. I was listening in on the phone and what really got me was the attitude she got when she went back there. She calmly asked them to make it right and do it properly and she got nothing but run around, all the way to the point where they basically just refused to do the job. I'm less concerned about the error and more pissed about the fact that these lazy turds wont correct their mistake, then they start accusing her of coming back and just wanting a free oil change! Yeah, because people love spending the better part of their day in a garage getting their oil changed every 10 miles.

This is why I do all my own oil changes. Too bad I can't do hers for her (750 miles away sort of makes it cost-prohibitive lol). This service is overpriced from the start. THe least these jerks can do is do it right for 25 or 30 dollars.

K
Old 02-12-2006, 06:08 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

at my auto shop class, we have 2 barrals of Citco 5w30, that is all we use.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:08 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

take it to judge judy,, but she will want to know what brand oil they used, and you should too

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.