Hot Rod Forum banner

Jig blueprints

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Lonestar 
#1 ·
My friend and i have recently been talking about jumping into a t bucket build. does anyone know where we can get prints to build a tubular frame jig?

thanks,
steve

#2 ·
If you are dead set on using a frame jig, obviously this is the ideal way to proceed. However, many T frames get welded up just laid out on a nice flat surface. From my experience, the simple ladder type frames are pretty forgiving and you can easily compensate for any slight bends or twists in the frame resulting from welding warpage. Keep in mind that even factory built cars do not go out the door with perfectly straight frames. I'm not suggesting you get all sloppy about it...but with a reasonable amount of preparation and care, you can do it without a jig.

#4 ·
Tbucit said:
Frames for these are easy to build. I would get a body first then you will have an idea where to start. Here is a picture of my son's, he has been working on it off and on for about six weeks now. Mine has taken me 3 years. :pain:

Randall
looks like your son's project is coming along nicely .good idea on getting the body first. im thinking of getting a glass body, they are cheap and easy. can someone recommend a quality body to look at?

#5 ·
Most people build their jigs to fit whatever design they are trying to build. Maybe someone actually sells a jig that would meet your needs, but I doubt it.

First, get your design and then fabricate a jig to help you build it. Jigs are simply rigid points to help you keep everything straight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.