John Deere BB prep work... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2004, 06:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

John Deere BB prep work...

To begin, here are some pictures of the hood I'll be painting Blitz Black.
PIC 1 PIC 2
I'll be painting the entire car with factory "Milano Red" in the spring, but I want to cover this hood with something relatively cheap for the winter. I'm wondering what exactly to prime this hood with prior to spraying 2-3 coats of the BB. I was hoping to only need one primer (no etch before primer).

So far, my plan is to strip to bare metal, sand, use some wax/grease remover, prime (but with what????) sand, (prime again???) and finally, paint and buff. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2004, 12:59 AM
**** or get off the pot

Last photo:

Started my JDBB project last week, buy the JD buff primer sealer, it's cheap too. the primer is almost Cat yellow. Another thing to keep in mind is to wait a full 3 days before top coating the primer with the Blitz Black. I shot my first 3 coats of primer waited 3 days and wet sanded with 600. Tommorow I will reshoot the primer wait 3 days wetsand with 600 again, clean and top coat. I really don't have to re-prime anything but found a couple flaws in the fiberglass that need a skim coat of mud. Sounds like you got a handle on what you are doing, just use the buff primer and you should be good to go.. Good luck and post up some pics of the final product when finished.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:00 AM

Is that JD primer sealer ok for sanding? I was considering that stuff but the word "sealer" lead me to believe that it was not to be sanded. I know this stuff is meant for farm equipment where a straight paint job takes a back seat to rust prevention. A JD dealer is a few minutes away, I guess I'll go track some of this stuff down Thanks

PS I will post pictures when I am done, do the same if you can
Old 09-25-2004, 11:30 AM
**** or get off the pot

Last photo:

I ended up wet-sanding with 600 after the initial primer shoot, last night I reshot the primer and it really turned out flat after snding, adhesion appears 100%. Monday i will shoot the black. One thing with the primer I mixed it 8:1 rather than 10:1. Move slow with your gun, it seems to go on somewhat dry it you move to quickly. Just one of them things you learn with a new product. good luck, I should have some pictures up next week sometime..
Old 09-25-2004, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the heads up, however I couldn't get the JD primer/sealer, they had none in stock. I didn't feel like waiting so I went to Dupont and got this . I'm pretty sure I can sand it, I'll be shooting tomorrow morning (1st time ever!!). It took me all day to strip the old paint off and sand it down with 80 grit. Here's how she looks now. Do I have to wait 3 days to sand the dupont primer??

FC
Old 09-26-2004, 08:13 PM
**** or get off the pot

Last photo:

Well I just got back from the shop, I blocked back the primer for the last time. Cleaned her up with g & w remover, mixed my paint and shot a couple coats. man it sure turned out nice, the more it flashed off the better it looked, when I left it was still somewhat tacky. I need to run back down to the shop in a couple hours and look it over again. Stiping doesn't appear to be a problem at this point. The first coat I did was side to side (this is a top off a K-5 blazer) the second coat was front to rear. the paint is considerably thinner than the primer. We'll see in a couple days whether of not i will wetsand the black and reshoot, hopefully not..

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.