Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Deere Blitz Black??

626K views 425 replies 105 participants last post by  Centerline 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
ATTENTION: This entire discussion has been summarized in a single 1-page article about John Deere Blitz Black Paint. The article is in "wiki" form, which means that you can edit it if you like (just click one of the "edit" links in the article). To view the article, see this link: John Deere Blitz Black paint.

----

Can anyone tell us about John Deere's Blitz Black paint?
like:
- A specific primer needed?
- Or no primer needed?
- 1 coat or 2+?
- A reducer needed?
- How good of a paint is it?
- Please any and all personal and professional input will be appreciated. I and we have a couple of choppers and rods to do in a flat paint.

Thx- Jade & the Las Vegas Pirates "the O.G.'s"

#7 ·
John Deere Blitz Black

Dubz

It sprayes like any other paint with the proper ratio of reducer and such. Use a JD primer to shoot over existing paint or bare metal. They sell JD BB and primer in spray can size so you can experiment with varied primered or bare metal surfaces.
A clear Coat cant be used for the Blitz Black unless a flattening agent is mixed in. And it defeats the purpose if a clear is applied. The JD BB is widely used for the satin/suede/flat look as seen on old school Rat Rods & Rods alike. And its $$.$$ instead of $$$$.$$. Take a look at Jesse James ride the 54 Chevy ****initupagain as seen on the new Auto Zone TV add, and on the WCC site under "Whips" http://www.westcoastchoppers.com/. I called House of Kolor and talked to "the man", they use a HOK black (or any PPG black) with a HOK (or any) flattening agent. to get the flat look for the 54 and his other rides. The purpose for the JD BB is so the car will have the unfinished "look" of a flat black primer yet have a skin on it that you can beat the piss out of and it will stand up. And for pennies to repair compared to others. It is also has a good UV blocker and will hold up to any weather. Where a bare black primer will soak up water and oils. There is another option that is probabally the best flat black coating Ive found. And its pricey. By Color-Rite. http://www.color-rite.com/ Its called Asphalt (#MQ2818) and the Egg Shell (#P-FKT600) clear coat kit for it. It is the best looking true flat black Ive seen. And its strong. Honda put this color on its 03' 919 Motorcycle if you want to look at the color and finish.

#14 ·
How hard would it be to shoot for a first time shooter with high quality equipment (a bud of mine has all the trick equipment).

I'm guessing it wouldn't show waves the same as a gloss job. Also what kind of breathing aparatus would you need?

#15 · (Edited)
John Deere Blitz Black

Blitz Black will shoot with pro equipment no problem with the right amount of reducers added.

A clear over the Blitz Black will make it glossy, but the BB was not formulated ultimatly not to have a clear. They make BB in spray can size, and a clear in spray can size at your local auto store. Test it out.

Blitz Black is Enamel

Pics of Blitz Black type paint jobs can be seen on West Coast Choppers web site under Whips. The 54 and Shop Truck are painted with a PPG black with a flattener but for the flat/color comparison you cant really tell between BB & a good PPG that has been flattened to the BB sheen.

Dubz

read my last post....

And dont F around with your lungs. Shell out a few more bucks and get a mask with replaceable air cartriges. The disposable .15 cent dust masks you see in the hardware store are for "dust" not chemicles.

And dont worry about shooting multiple thin coats of paint for your first time shoot. Patience times 100 when it comes to your ride. Go slow.....

#16 ·
Re: John Deere Blitz Black

i have a half mask that i got for when i was spray painting....tried to find a picture but didn't come up with anything on google.

And i don't really understand what you said about the clear, it will work, or won't work. I understand it won't be flat anymore, but originally i wan't going to go with a flat black, this just seems to be a much cheaper/better option.

since i'm a first time painter i don't really know that much about enamels, is there anywhere i could go to look up info on safety info and info on spraying with them?

Thanks for all the help motoedge, you probably just saved me a thousand $ or so.

:thumbup:

#19 ·
OMG guys

Flat black was soooooooo yesterday......go buy some kick *** metalic PPG color and spray a matte clear over it (ppg of course).

Don't be a smart *** and reply yesterday = old school.

Flat black=boring..

Try copper candy...blue metallic, pearl white...or my favorite metallic grey.

I just came back from the roadster nationals in Pomona California and saw how flats were boring in person...don't make the same mistake!!

COWTOWN PUNK!!!
DRINK, DRANK, DRUNK.

#20 ·
Cowtown Punk said:
OMG guys

Flat black was soooooooo yesterday......go buy some kick *** metalic PPG color and spray a matte clear over it (ppg of course).

Don't be a smart *** and reply yesterday = old school.

Flat black=boring..

Try copper candy...blue metallic, pearl white...or my favorite metallic grey.

I just came back from the roadster nationals in Pomona California and saw how flats were boring in person...don't make the same mistake!!

COWTOWN PUNK!!!
DRINK, DRANK, DRUNK.
i may paint the car some other color later on....but no matter what color it will be black....as will all my cars. All those ideas may be well and good for a $$$$ route but, as mentioned, this paint is a $$$ instead.

I'm not an experienced painter, and will be doing the car myself, so candies, pearls, ect aren't in the picture. Was thinking of a black base with a red or purple candy for later on in the cars life or for some airbrushed graphics.

#22 ·
John Deere Blitz Black

Below is the most exact information I have found for you guys doing the flat/satin black.

From: Valspar Paint General Manager. (They make Blitz Black for John Deere.)

#1. If the existing paint is relatively good condition (ie. no peeling paint, no large amount of rust, etc) no primer is needed. Scuff sand the existing paint with extra fine grit sandpaper, wipe surface with a clean cloth and then apply John Deere Blitz Black.

#2. If primer is used due to bare metal or minor surface defects, we suggest the John Deere Buff Primer (available in aerosols, quarts and gallons). This is a very "user friendly" formulation that provides good sandability, excellent filling/sealing properties and enhanced corrosion resistance.

#3. A reducer is needed for optimum sprayability and appearance. We suggest the use of the John Deere thinner/reducer (available in quarts gallon and fives). It is formulated specifically for John Deere paints. The mix ratio is 8 parts John Deere paint : 1 part John Deere thinner.

#4. John Deere Blitz Black is an "air dry" formulation...but if a you want the paint to dry faster and harder, John Deere has a hardener in their product line. It is available in pints, part number REN3001. The mix ratio is 8 parts John Deere paint : 1 part REN3001 hardener : 1 part John Deere thinner.

Some more info...the exact same formulation is used in the aerosols as in the quarts/gallons. This helps with touch-ups and is critical in low gloss applications such as the Blitz Black.

#23 ·
Re: John Deere Blitz Black

motoedge said:
Below is the most exact information I have found for you guys doing the flat/satin black.

From: Valspar Paint General Manager. (They make Blitz Black for John Deere.)

#1. If the existing paint is relatively good condition (ie. no peeling paint, no large amount of rust, etc) no primer is needed. Scuff sand the existing paint with extra fine grit sandpaper, wipe surface with a clean cloth and then apply John Deere Blitz Black.

#2. If primer is used due to bare metal or minor surface defects, we suggest the John Deere Buff Primer (available in aerosols, quarts and gallons). This is a very "user friendly" formulation that provides good sandability, excellent filling/sealing properties and enhanced corrosion resistance.

#3. A reducer is needed for optimum sprayability and appearance. We suggest the use of the John Deere thinner/reducer (available in quarts gallon and fives). It is formulated specifically for John Deere paints. The mix ratio is 8 parts John Deere paint : 1 part John Deere thinner.

#4. John Deere Blitz Black is an "air dry" formulation...but if a you want the paint to dry faster and harder, John Deere has a hardener in their product line. It is available in pints, part number REN3001. The mix ratio is 8 parts John Deere paint : 1 part REN3001 hardener : 1 part John Deere thinner.

Some more info...the exact same formulation is used in the aerosols as in the quarts/gallons. This helps with touch-ups and is critical in low gloss applications such as the Blitz Black.
SWEEET!!!!!! great, thanks for the info motoedge, exactly what i wanted to know :thumbup: :thumbup:

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
John Deere Blitz Black

You guys should talk to Shawn as well. He will be out of town this week but try him on Monday 9th. This is the guy I got the info from in the first place. He will be able to get you even more detailed info if needed.

Cool.... Jade @ http://www.*.com/

Shawn Mahady
General Manager
Aftermarket Specialties Valspar Paint
phone 612-375-7942
e-mail smahady@valspar.com

#26 ·
John Deere Blitz Black

!!!!!!! IMPORTANT !!!!!!!
John Deere Blitz Black cureing windows.

Shooting to a good surface IE: Bare metal, John Deere Primer, or to a good base of existing paint scuffed up.

1 light tack coat and wait no longer than 15 minutes to shoot the full wet coat.
For a second coat which is NOT needed but why the hell not.
Wait up to but NO longer than 3 hours to apply second coat.
But if you go past 3 hours DO NOT shoot another coat because the paint will react and go to $#!T. Wait 36 hours until you shoot the next coat. For each coat the same times apply. But one good coat with the 8 to 1 to 1 (8-1-1 paint-thinner-hardener) will be more than enough.

Cool.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.