Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Deere Blitz Black??

626K views 425 replies 105 participants last post by  Centerline 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
ATTENTION: This entire discussion has been summarized in a single 1-page article about John Deere Blitz Black Paint. The article is in "wiki" form, which means that you can edit it if you like (just click one of the "edit" links in the article). To view the article, see this link: John Deere Blitz Black paint.

----

Can anyone tell us about John Deere's Blitz Black paint?
like:
- A specific primer needed?
- Or no primer needed?
- 1 coat or 2+?
- A reducer needed?
- How good of a paint is it?
- Please any and all personal and professional input will be appreciated. I and we have a couple of choppers and rods to do in a flat paint.

Thx- Jade & the Las Vegas Pirates "the O.G.'s"

#227 ·
Why

Well The Caddy is a four door mild, mild custom, so thats why Im going with the flat black. Thats how we do it here in California. Noticed the shaved door handles and 57 caddy hubcaps with bullet centers.

Also this is completely a "do it yourself project" Never hit the shop...
I use the satin or flat colors also to hide some minor imperfections. Low Budget kustom..... Thats why we are all in this forum right?
Some people just dont get the flat or semi-flat color applications

I get more looks in this car shaved and all the side trim gone than I got when it was completely stock...
Next step. Suicide doors.......

#229 · (Edited)
HIgh Gloss

Painted last summer. Waxed for the first time last week. Garage kept. JD Blitz Black High Gloss...... 1 3/4 hours in the bake room. Still was not dry.... Painted my 66 for less than $35.00 :thumbup:

Paint if very durable. With no fading issues or dulness...

Here is a short video clip of my car. Shows the paint a little better...JD Blitz Black

#230 ·
Man that looks GOOD!!! Can you PLEASE get me some more closer shots of that car and more info on how you sprayed it, problems you came by when spraying it, etc? I think I am going with that high gloss now. I would also think the medium gloss with high gloss flames would look cool too but I will do that on my old metal bodied golf cart first and see how that looks.

Thanks a lot for anymore pics, info and comments on this.

#231 · (Edited)
issues

I have had no issues at all...... I did the first coat light. The second coat was really wet. I should have done a little better prep before painting. Getting Paint Room really washed down. I should have put a paint suit on. I had some lint in the paint...

But the paint it self is excellent. Best $35.00 bucks I ever spent. Plus I did not even use all of the $35.00 worth of JD Paint. So figured it cost me around $23.50 to paint my Impala.....

Dave :thumbup:

#234 ·
black66 said:
I have had no issues at all...... I did the first coat light. The second coat was really wet. I should have done a little better prep before painting. Getting Paint Room really washed down. I should have put a paint suit on. I had some lint in the paint...

But the paint it self is excellent. Best $35.00 bucks I ever spent. Plus I did not even use all of the $35.00 worth of JD Paint. So figured it cost me around $23.50 to paint my Impala.....

Dave :thumbup:
When the paint starts to break down and chalk up in a year or two you can probably just wash it off with laquer thinner and spray it again, yeah, I guess $35 per year is cheap, just a whole lot of work if you're redoing it again and again. Keep the kids with soda far away from the car, bird droppings, etc.- I bet would etch the paint big time if not washed off imediately.

#235 ·
baddbob said:
When the paint starts to break down and chalk up in a year or two you can probably just wash it off with laquer thinner and spray it again, yeah, I guess $35 per year is cheap, just a whole lot of work if you're redoing it again and again. Keep the kids with soda far away from the car, bird droppings, etc.- I bet would etch the paint big time if not washed off imediately.
They use this stuff on their tractors right? So I "think" that soda or bird droppings would be safe, I mean those tractors do go through a lotta crap. Just my opinion, I've never used this stuff.

Mike

#237 ·
Satin Black on Ebay

5dogsisenuff said:
check this out i found this on ebay...I may get it just to try it out , hes also got other cloros to choose from http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=63702&item=4564478388
I just purchased a Gallon from this company based out of San Diego for about $100 with shipping. Im in Los Angeles (boo hoo no John Deere Blitz Black Available here)
Im supposed to have it by Wednesday. I will most likely shoot my car on Wednesday night and I will post pictures soon.

I shot the roof of my 64 Caddy with Blitz Black in Spray cans. what can I say "Awesome Color and Finish but too much stripping. I will wetsand tonight and either armor all it or wax it. If this stuff from ebay work good I will resand the roof top and do it with this paint. I was also impressed by the rest of their colors like midnight Blue, Dark Purple, etc.....
Always wanted a purple cadillac???????

#238 ·
John Deere Primer

Well, I didn't pay attention to the information in this forum and now I'm paying. I sanded the hood of my 66 chevy pickup in preparation for the JJBB paint, and put the John Deere primer on it. I don't have a garage and it's been rainy in Georgia for 3 weeks! I am now seeing rust coming up under the primer. I realize I'm going to have to re-sand the hood but I don't know what to do about the primer? I am being told to use urethane primer but is it going to be comapatible with the JJBB?

#240 ·
#243 · (Edited)
Oh while I'm on the subject I needed the Hardner REN3001 but my local John Deere reseller Finches....doesn't carry it and will not order it unless I purchase a case which is 6 cans :mad: I only need 1 at most 2 pints of the stuff....Finches attitude is if they order 6 and I buy 2 they can't sell the remain 4 pints :rolleyes: Part number is REN3001 "Valspar renew 3001" This stuff cost $35-$37 a pint.

#245 · (Edited by Moderator)
O.K. Guys,

I have watched this thread for awhile. I haven't posted about this, but it looks like a lot of you are having problems getting Blitz Black. I manage a John Deere Dealership in Colorado, so, if you can't find it you can call us.

We haven't had a lot of people here ask for it, but if we can get enough people asking for it, will buy and stock it. Yes, we have to buy it in case lots.

This is not a solicitation, and if inappropriate, please disregard or omit, but if this is a help to anybody you can call us. Our phone number is *

Craig

#247 ·
Same with the place here. They buy cases and I think the lady said it comes in as 10. I have to pay shipping I think but I dont have to buy them just one. She said they will probably sit for years. I may buy two gallons for the heck of it. I still wanna see how long that one guys Impala lasts with the gloss black too.

#248 ·
LOL...I just didn't mention it but I too had to buy 2 Gals of Blitz Black and four Gal of the buff Primer for that very reason (not to paint my house) :thumbup: but because 4 gal come per case for the buff primer so I went ahead and just another ordered another 2gal of Blitz totaling 4 gal each :sweat:

I didn't mind that so much because I still saved money buying in bulk...blitz was only $21 per gal and primer was $22 (basically list I believe) Opposed to buying 1 gal of PPG epoxy primer \ base and clear and hardner\reducer for all three totaling $600 and felt I would use it up or sell to friends.

Hardner being optional but really should be used and is highly recommended for quick cure and added durability figured I really should use it and do it right. I'm going to call valspar to see if there is a substitute product that does the same thing that maybe package differently.

Does anybody know how much extra sheen\gloss the hardner really ads? I have seen blitz used plenty, but never asked if the harder was used but all looked the same so either everybody used it or nobody used it...I'm guessing nobody :eek:

I have a lowered / hotrodded 94 Dodge Ram Diesel thats getting blitzed.

#249 ·
Basically although re-banded for John Deer, Blitz Black come from Valspar BPS Agricultural Restoration Series Tractor & Implement product line. In regards to hardener. Aside from Renew REN3001 John Deere's part number as well. I was able to find out Valspar sells two other enamel hardener products one is 3389 16FL. OZ. (Pint) and also sells a 1/2 pint labeled hitch restoration Hardener from there truck and trailer line (part Number not known) ingredients are identical. 1/2 can cost $9.98 and is enough for 2 quarts and the 16oz (pint) is good for an entire Gallon of enamel. 16 oz cost 19.95 from Tractor Supply and you can buy per can as needed opposed to a case. Both the 8oz and the 16oz can be purchased from tractor supply co. Find a dealer http://www.valspar.com/val/resident/bps_imp.jsp type in ZIP

Agricultural Restoration Series Tractor & Implement Hardener ingredients.

53880-05-0.....Cycloaliphatic
-----------------Polyisocyanate
123-86-4........N-Butyl Acetate
64742-95-6.....Aromatic Naphtha
95-63-6..........1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene

1 pint per Gallon of Paint or otherwise 8:1:1

8 Parts Enamel Paint Valspar PBS or most re-branded John Deere paint
1 Part Reducer \ Thinner
1 Part Hardener

with harder wait 30 Minute Activation Period prior to spray ......Pot life after mix with Hardnener is 8 Hrs. I'm cross referencing this with Valspar autofinishing product line Acrylic Enamel Hardener to see if this too has same ingredients. That product is also 16 oz and same price per can.

Dry to touch wo\Hardener 2-4 Hrs. and 15-30 minutes with Hardener
Dry to Handle wo\Hardener 24-36 Hrs. and 2-4 Hrs. with Hardener.

As with all enamels Hardener is highly recommended (rocker panel, wheel wells and hood area especially and with potential gloss enhancment may as well do the entire vehicle so blending is not a problem. The extra $19 to an already inexpensive solution is worth it IMO

My 2 cents to help out fellow DIY rodder folk.....cheers

#250 · (Edited)
"Sealer" Primer

I am using the JDBB and Buff Primer on my 66 Chevy Pickup. I am not seeking a "show" finish, this truck will always be used to haul mulch, dirt and other hubris. My question is, what is the "sealer" function of the primer? I have learned that the sealer primer doesn't seal against moisture so what does it saeal against?

Apparently this is a really dumb question??

#251 ·
I’ll take a stab… where did you learn that? Buff primer-sealer is a rust-inhibitor that excellent adhesion and durability and states such on the can.

To be considered a rust-inhibitor it must lock out moister and air from penetrating the coating to some degree. Sealer by definition is non porous material to prevent passage of a liquid or gas. Now under a microscope this varies from product to product and type of products such as urethanes or enamels \ hardener or non hardener. Measurement of bleeding \ osmosis \ diffusion that classifies something a being a sealer or not is above me so some sealers may be better than others i.e latex \ silicone against whatever solvent (water or saltwater) under whatever environmental conditions such as varying weather and temperatures but all are still considered sealers or sorts. So if I were applying a sealer, I too like yourself would expect sealing from at least water and air. If I'm wrong somebody please educate me as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.