Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Deere Blitz Black??

626K views 425 replies 105 participants last post by  Centerline 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
ATTENTION: This entire discussion has been summarized in a single 1-page article about John Deere Blitz Black Paint. The article is in "wiki" form, which means that you can edit it if you like (just click one of the "edit" links in the article). To view the article, see this link: John Deere Blitz Black paint.

----

Can anyone tell us about John Deere's Blitz Black paint?
like:
- A specific primer needed?
- Or no primer needed?
- 1 coat or 2+?
- A reducer needed?
- How good of a paint is it?
- Please any and all personal and professional input will be appreciated. I and we have a couple of choppers and rods to do in a flat paint.

Thx- Jade & the Las Vegas Pirates "the O.G.'s"

#131 ·
i dont see the fuss about using JD paint, lets not forget it is tractor paint, for agricultural vehicles not show cars.

Tractor paint is known for being low luster ang generally only fit for use on a tractor,

why not just pick a good matt black from a ppg, 2 pack range.

#138 ·
I used a black paint from Endura that had clear coat and flattening powder added to it to give it the semi gloss or suede look. It's pretty nice paint and easy to use , but with any flat paint, there always seems to be problems with striping in the paint. I will be sure to post some pics of the flames when they're done

#141 · (Edited)
Fiberglass JDBB

No problem on fiberglass.
Worked for me great.

Cool?

Dude, blah blah blah Skydrol blah blah blah JDBB is $22 a gallon and good enough for us.
Start a Skydrol post so you can blah blah blah all about Skydrol.
Were all friends here, no need to get all school yard. Its all good.
No more negative blah blah blah from any of us.

Cool?

#142 · (Edited)
Re: Fiberglass JDBB

motoedge said:
No problem on fiberglass.
Worked for me great.

Cool?

Dude, blah blah blah Skydrol blah blah blah JDBB is $22 a gallon and good enough for us.
Start a Skydrol post so you can blah blah blah all about Skydrol.
Were all friends here, no need to get all school yard. Its all good.
No more negative blah blah blah from any of us.

Cool?
For someone that wanted to play chemist and make up a bunch of bull at others people expense and no concern with their long term problems to sell your cheap crap, you just proved you are a total idiot with your skydrol statement.
Oh I won't say another word but be assured if you make another false statement again I will jam it up your a--. and won't be as nice as last time.
Cheers!

As a matter of fact, there is a company in ohio that sells the same stuff (made by Sherwin Williams also) for $12 gallon, I will find and post for you.

#143 ·
Barry, im no chemist, but here is the real world proof to you about Blitz Black. This is a picture of our John Deere 4440. For its whole life it has served as a loader tractor here in ND, also has served many other duties. It has seen snow, mud, rocks, cow crap, sprayer chemicals, diesel, engine oil, hydraulic oil, antifreeze, also sat out in the sun most of the time as well. You name it it has brobably been thrown at these fenders. And I would have to say that for using this paint right where there is the most rubbing, the paint still looks pretty darn good.

Now Im not chemist, I dont go spouting off big facts and test findings and such to belittle people and make myself feel superior.

I cut straight to the point, that is real world testing, not some tests that are made up to see the breaking points of something like scientists like to do, its there job, to test when its gonna break. Everythings got a breaking point, they find it, so their testing means diddely squat to me. I want to know how stuff stands up to normal everyday life here in a place the rest of us like to call the real world.

Attachments

#145 ·
The striping problems are due to the reducer drying to fast...not the way you are spraying it. I have used the BB before...reduce it with a slow evap reducer and you should see a difference. Also...this stuff looks like crap as it is drying....hang tight and wait for the entire surface to dry, you'll be very suprised.
I keep a gallon of it around for various things. I painted the frame on my project S10 with it, and I also painted my beatup Ranger with it after my bro-in law got all drunked up and painted the entire truck with Kentucky Chrome spray paint:p LOL!
Later,
WEIMER

#147 ·
is it a medium or slow or fast reducer? Have you tried to thin it with mineral spirits instead of thinner? It works very well.
You won't something that is a sloooow evaperation rate. Don't hold the (HVLP)gun any farther than 10" away from the surface. You just have to play around with it and spray some scrap body panels to get the right mixture and technique. Good thing is:
1)Gallon of Thinner $5 / Mineral Spririts $2
2)Gallon of JD Paint $25

If you do screw it up....sand it off and try something different. These are just my experiences with it, it might or might not work for you, but everybody in my circle that has used it has had great results.
Good Luck....Post Pics when you are done.
Later,
WEIMER

#148 ·
Weimer said:
is it a medium or slow or fast reducer? Have you tried to thin it with mineral spirits instead of thinner? It works very well.
You won't something that is a sloooow evaperation rate. Don't hold the (HVLP)gun any farther than 10" away from the surface. You just have to play around with it and spray some scrap body panels to get the right mixture and technique. Good thing is:
1)Gallon of Thinner $5 / Mineral Spririts $2
2)Gallon of JD Paint $25

If you do screw it up....sand it off and try something different. These are just my experiences with it, it might or might not work for you, but everybody in my circle that has used it has had great results.
Good Luck....Post Pics when you are done.
Later,
WEIMER
I'll have to remember this..Thanks:thumbup:

#151 ·
Nate, that depends on what you want the finished product to look like. Spray bomb will not provide sufficient fan pattern for even coverage. I suspect you would be unhappy with the results and durability, as well as the stripping effect you will see.

Even a low quality compressor of any kind would be a better choice and could be done with one quart of BB. (I said "could be") ! Or, buy two quarts and take one back if you don't need it.

Harbor freight has inexpensive guns that would work. ($20.00). Maybe someone you know has a small compressor or get all the prep work done and ready to shoot, then rent a compressor for a couple hours. I think you will be a happier camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.