Hot Rod Forum banner

John Force Wins 15th F/C Title

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Mike H 
#1 ·
After Matt Hagan (who started this race ahead by two rounds) gave up a first round loss to underdog Tasca, John Force was able to cruise to a 15th title.

The decisive moment came after Force defeated Bode- who was also a 'giant killer' to the Hagan camp- underdog Bode had a holeshot win over Hagan’s teammate, “Fast Jack” Beckman- who would’ve faced Force had Beckman won the race.

Jack Beckman has had good luck defeating the Force team cars this season- and had he been able to face and defeat John Force, Hagan still would have won the title- his first. But this was not to be.

So congrats to John. He worked for this one, and needed all the help and help he could get- but in the end, he got the job done.

#4 ·
What was that with the first round win of Dixon's and the hoop-la that followed ? I though that was about as lame as a 4 car drag race. Understood it was the points that drove the clown show, clown show as in the NHRAs trophy awarding event, certainly not Dixon and that monster fuel car.

Even Dixon though it was odd, what a major distraction that was. Just out of sync, also noticed a pass being made as that side show was being telecast. Was that the racers and their sponsors getting there 4 seconds of fame ... I do not think so.

The races from NASCAR too NHRA, the officials/owners are over involved and mucking things up . I am finding the IRHA a more interesting venue as these new ideas of how to make things better progress. I like the style of cars that run the IHRA events, much better variety and the innovation of those hotrods is still progressing, not as refined but more fun to watch. Yep Force worked for it and he should have, congrats for sure.

#5 · (Edited)
cobalt327 said:
...and needed all the help and help he could get...
Meant to say "...and needed all the help and luck he could get...".

Pro Bike had a "youngster" (20 y/o), L.E. Tonglet win the title, while Force is the oldest.

But the youngbloods are still carrying their weight- F1 champ Sebastian Vettel (23 y/o) is also the youngest in history by about three months.

Tonglet was in almost the same position as Force- after qualifying, he was behind the leader Andrew Hines by 34 points (Force was 37 points behind). Being as how a round is 20 points, this equates to a 2 round deficit unless a National record was set- which there wasn't enough traction or air quality to do at this race.

And like Force got a break when Hagan lost in the first round to Bob Tasca, Tonglet was the recipient of Hines' first round red light.

Force went on to win the race, but Tonglet had to settle for becoming champ w/o benefit of a win at this race.

#7 ·
cobalt327 said:
Meant to say "...and needed all the help and luck he could get...".

Pro Bike had a "youngster" (20 y/o), L.E. Tonglet win the title, while Force is the oldest.

But the youngbloods are still carrying their weight- F1 champ Sebastian Vettel (23 y/o) is also the youngest in history by about three months.

Tonglet was in almost the same position as Force- after qualifying, he was behind the leader Andrew Hines by 34 points (Force was 37 points behind). Being as how a round is 20 points, this equates to a 2 round deficit unless a National record was set- which there wasn't enough traction or air quality to do at this race.

And like Force got a break when Hagan lost in the first round to Bob Tasca, Tonglet was the recipient of Hines' first round red light.

Force went on to win the race, but Tonglet had to settle for becoming champ w/o benefit of a win at this race.
actually, the weather was there for record setting performances, and was noted as so during the telecast. the water grains were down and the humidity was in the teens. unfortunately the track just wasnt cooperating.

#8 ·
I agree- that was big, and so was Bode's holeshot whipping of Jack Beckman- had THAT not happened, Force would've been against Beckman. And that's a race that Force would need some O2 for, too!!

Beckman did Hagan no favor in qualifying by making a good pass that moved Hagan back some, but the bottom line is his (Hagan) car let him down. It looked like timing/timers to me- the run was basically clean, w/all candles lit- but just lazy as hell on the top end.

Little Mike Dunn was calling it a problem w/"fuel distribution"- whatever the hell that's supposed to be... :rolleyes:

#9 ·
cobalt327 said:
I agree- that was big, and so was Bode's holeshot whipping of Jack Beckman- had THAT not happened, Force would've been against Beckman. And that's a race that Force would need some O2 for, too!!

Beckman did Hagan no favor in qualifying by making a good pass that moved Hagan back some, but the bottom line is his (Hagan) car let him down. It looked like timing/timers to me- the run was basically clean, w/all candles lit- but just lazy as hell on the top end.

Little Mike Dunn was calling it a problem w/"fuel distribution"- whatever the hell that's supposed to be... :rolleyes:
with the air as cool and dry as it was, there were quite a few out there having problems with running lean, and that can cause havoc on a fuel motor. hagans car started "mixing" up cylinders after 1/2 track and basically ate up the motor. thats why he not only didnt get a time (they announced his e.t., but the ladder will show no time), but also had to pay for oiling the track as NHRA had put the oildown rule back into effect for the finals.

#14 ·
Force

And then, the very next day, Austin Coil resigned. (Hmmm.... does anyone think that there is ANY chance of a 16th title without Coil??)

Trivia - Coil is the ONLY guy with more F/C titles than Force! He wrenched the Farkonas, Coil & Minick "Chi-Town Hustler" before he met Force.

#15 ·
Dave57210 said:
And then, the very next day, Austin Coil resigned. (Hmmm.... does anyone think that there is ANY chance of a 16th title without Coil??)

Trivia - Coil is the ONLY guy with more F/C titles than Force! He wrenched the Farkonas, Coil & Minick "Chi-Town Hustler" before he met Force.
Coil resigned ......... thats it for John

Would like to here the story behind that one, they have been two peas in a pot for a while now. Sounds bad resigned instead of retired, hmm Johns head or family got to big?

Seen some odd stuff happening involving Ashely, John and drag racing the past year. Not making accusations but I do know drag races and I do know they cheat.

#16 ·
Dave57210 said:

You forgot Jungle Jim the best showman in a flopper of all time, Austin Coil helped him out in the 70s as well. Pam made the hot pants and go go boots work when backing him up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.