Journal image sizes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders Site Suggestions and Help
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2006, 12:32 PM
I'm not superstitious

Last journal entry: Release catch for trunk lid pt.5
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Journal image sizes

I know this has been discussed before but I done some homework on the sizes of images in the project journals.

What I'm referring to is resolution and the resultant file size. Many guys, including me, upload images of 640x480. This then results in file size of under 100kb, which I feel is acceptable to most.

When it comes to pictures on the internet bigger is definitely NOT better! People with dial-up links or other slow links SUFFER big time trying to open large image files. Also, some older browsers can't resize images automatically to fit in the window.

How are guys with 800x600 or even worse, 640x480 supposed to view images that are 1600x1200 or even 2048x1536 and in another case 2580x1932. Not just that, but you're looking at file size of between 700kb and 1.5Mb each! No make that 2.6Mb which is one I just downloaded. I mean, a guy with a dial-up will wait for ages for just one image to open. Then some can't see anything because it doesn't resize and what he does see doesn't help him at all and doesn't carry across the message that it should.

I think that those who've had fast internet connection for long take it for granted that everybody else does too.

Granted, the picture quality is very good but PLEASE be considerate! I've got a 192k ADSL line but if images take long to open then I don't open them as it becomes a bore to have to sit and wait for images.

Please accept my apologies for ranting but I feel this is a serious matter in many people's eyes.

Jon, how do you feel about limiting the file size of images being uploaded into journals? That will force people to resize and be more considerate. It will also help you to save on disk space too.

I didn't want to mention any names but I can easily P.M. you some if you wish Jon.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neophyte
I think that those who've had fast internet connection for long take it for granted that everybody else does too.
Well said.

We can set a limit for this (if we already haven't, I can't remember right now).

Consider joining in the journal discussion at CrankshaftCoalition.com: http://crankshaftcoalition.com/forum...hread.php?t=43 . Grouch is currently pushing the project forward at a good pace. We could use your feedback and input.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:58 PM
I'm not superstitious

Last photo:

Thanks for agreeing Jon. I have just registered there and while waiting for activation I've started taking a quick read through the thread to try and get some background knowledge first.

It's just a pitty that I don't know PHP. Maybe a sign that I should start learning.

Anyway, I'll be glad to try and help out even if it's just through suggestions and inputs.

So, I'm not up to date yet with the progress but you and Grouch can always go and have a look at how I did my club's journals in ASP.Net. You will quite obviously notice many simularities with the current one on HR.com except for the multiple journals per user. Unfortunately it has'nt really taken off yet within the club as many people don't have internet access or only have limited access. The url is http://www.reefstreetrodclub.za.org
Old 03-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

OK, great -- I've activated your membership.

PHP is fairly easy to learn. Deploying large-scale applications involves some nuances though.

I've already checked out your photojournal, the multiple journal per-user feature caught my eye before, and we've worked this into the design of the new HR journal. Many of the photojournals on the net are essentially the same, so similarities are expected.

Looking forward to your input in that thread...the more guys involved in that project, the faster it will move forward to reality.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:01 PM
I'm not superstitious

Last photo:

Well, judging by the snippets of code I've seen there it shouldn't be too difficult as it looks very simular to Javascript and C#.Net. Fortunately I know a little of both so it wasn't too difficult to understand those snippets. The better I start knowing something like the more it will help me at work too because soon all our server side stuff is gonna change to C#.Net. All custom and client side apps we're gonna keep in VB.Net.

I'll even ask at work about PHP and how I can get started. My manager has played with PHP before and will help me. He's a nice guy and even if something like that is for "personal use" at first, he sees it as an extra skill which is something that can be used in the work environment at a later stage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.