Journal Indexes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders Site Suggestions and Help
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 01:40 PM
1927 Vette

Wiki Edits: 0

Journal Indexes

Cboy recently posted an index in his latest journal (Cboy-Two) and asked for some feedback about it. I have been viewing a number of journals and I sent him some comments. Between the two of us we managed to arrive at the idea that using links to the pages could be made to work. Basically it gets around the problem of having to View from Beginning and jump back and forth in the journal to find topics of interest.

I thought I had seen a link previously somewhere in one of the journals so I thought I would give it a try and used Cboy's journal to experiment on. I am not aware of any journal indexes built using the following but if I have missed someone else's previous idea I apologize. There may be better ways of doing this (but that is why I am posting this to find out if there is).

The procedure I used was as follows:

I am assuming that the person with the journal has an index in a another program on their personal computer. Cboy uses Word Perfect and I am going to use Microsoft Wordpad. Any text program will do, as will others.

The basic form of the index is a topic and a page number. I can't get at entry numbers since the journals are built as tables.

Go to your journal (any page) and right click on an entry and select Properties. A box will come up with some information in it. On the line that starts http find the code that says journalid=number. The number is a unique journal id assigned to your journal. Remember this number since you will need it again.

In your journal index create an entry such as (this is the hard part):

[lru=http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=Your_Number&page =Your_Page&perpage=5&reverse=true]Your_Topic[/lru]

where Your_Number is your journalid number, Your_Topic is the name of the topic you want to create a link to and Your_Page is the page number in your journal to that topic. Make sure you don;t make any error typing.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I HAD TO MISTYPE url AS lru SO THAT THE HOTRODDERS.COM POST SOFTWARE WOULD NOT INTERPRET IT AS A LINK. JUST CHANGE lru BACK TO url AND EVERYTHING SHOULD WORK OK.

Repeat as often as you need to.

To test out your journal index, copy the contents from the text program you are creating it in and past it into a PM to yourself. In that PM you should see your topics and if you click on them you will get to the page that contains the information about that topic. This allows you to check it offline without putting it into your journal until you are ready.

To make it clearer, go to Cboy_Two's journal and you should see his new index. Try it out to see if it is what you need. If you like it I can send you the text file I created to make it. It is easier that starting from scratch.

Hopefully I can get the instructions in a better form if needed, but I wanted to get this out before I forgot how I did it.

Ron

Advertisement

Last edited by PSST; 01-23-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Good idea...So basically you are using a hyper link to create the index. .....Can the journal be added to later, and keep the index in the same location........

Budget RVs
Old 01-23-2009, 02:44 PM
1927 Vette

Hyperlinks

ponch62:
More or less correct...

The journal index entry itself is just like any other journal entry except that it contains the links to each of the topic pages of interest. As long as you can edit the journal index entry you can edit/add/remove the links to the topics as needed.

I am planning on using multiple journal indexes when I start my journal. They will be at set locations (every 50 or 100 entries) throughout the journal so that I don't have to wait until the end to start on them...
Old 01-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:

Cool...Maybe Jon can look into something that will have the index page stay on the 1st page.....and then all additions would come after that.......

Budget RVs
Old 01-23-2009, 05:05 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Cool...Maybe Jon can look into something that will have the index page stay on the 1st page.....and then all additions would come after that.......
That would be a help. What I do now is simply delete my Index every time I go into my journal to make new entries. After the index is deleted I make the entries I want and then, just before closing out, I copy the Index from my Word Perfect directory and insert it as my final entry of the session. This is sort of a PITA, but it does allow the index to come up first when you access the journal.

The other thing that would help is if Jon could put the edition helps (the little mountain icon and the blue "earth" icon) onto the journal editing screen. The blue earth icon would make PSST's process a snap. Just copy the referenced page in your journal, hit blue earth, insert the index topic you want, and then just paste in you url that you copied earlier.

What PSST has done is to give us some code which does basically what the blue earth icon does...only it takes a bit longer this way. My feeling is anything we can do to make the journals (particularly all the longer ones) easier to access, follow and read will greatly improve their usability.

Also PSST, did you have to be in "view from beginning" mode when collecting the info from the referenced page in the journal or will your system for creating the link work while you are in the default "view from most recent"?
Old 01-23-2009, 08:03 PM
1927 Vette

Viewing order

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
Also PSST, did you have to be in "view from beginning" mode when collecting the info from the referenced page in the journal or will your system for creating the link work while you are in the default "view from most recent"?
Cboy:

I was using the default viewing order (most recent). All I did was click on a page (other than the last one) and see what the page number was. It was correct so the order must have been correct. I think that is why the &reverse is in the link information??

I just checked your journal by going to it, clicking on the view from beginning, then going to the journal index (now on the last page and in the last entry) and clicking on a link to a topic. It still works...

Ron
Old 01-23-2009, 08:17 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSST
... It was correct so the order must have been correct.
Good. That makes things pretty straightforward then.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:56 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:

I just updated mine. I just grouped by project for now, but at least I have the format so I can expand later.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=20616
Old 01-27-2009, 09:27 PM
1927 Vette

Arrowhead

I visited your index. Looks like you have the hang of it. The journal looks great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.